Changing Springs, How hard to do? by DCRFiero1
Started on: 05-09-2008 11:11 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: linuxpowered88 on 05-10-2008 08:22 PM
DCRFiero1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
I just recently got my fiero back after getting a newer 2.8 swapped into it. My suspension is horrible. I have new shocks/struts, and I purchased Intrax springs to give it the lower stance. How hard is it to change out the springs on my fiero? Havent changed springs before, anybody have any tips, or maybe a quick how to? Any replies welcome. Thanks
Zach
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2008 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
are you talking about the front springs?
taking them out is easy.
getting them back in sucks
DCRFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2008 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Iam talking about all 4 springs, front and back. Is it just hard, or is there a trick to getting them back in?
DCRFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2008 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post

DCRFiero1

1125 posts
Member since Sep 2007
Late night Bump......
cire36

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2008 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cire36Send a Private Message to cire36Direct Link to This Post
I have done this. I discovered that when you remove the rear struts, there is no compression on the springs. You can check this by jacking up the car and see if you can rotate the springs. I had a friend helping me when we did mine. We removed the nut from the top without the need of a spring compressor.

As for the fronts, they are a little harder. You have to remove the spindles, push the A-arm all the way down, sit infront of the spring, put your foot on the arm down to push it a little farther to get the spring to "pop" out. It wont fly anywhere or anything it will just snap a little bit.

The lowering springs go in easier. The fronts still need that little foot help.

Hope this helps.
DCRFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2008 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Cool, thanks for the advice. Anybody else have any suggestions?
linuxpowered88

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2008 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post
Just for saftey when replacing the rear springs do compress the springs. Often they are old and the struts are old and the compression is not much but if it is a lot they will come off with some force.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock