Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Cloyes straight-cut Duke timing set by 3057
Started on: 05-08-2008 10:18 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: The_Stickman2 on 05-12-2008 04:50 PM

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3057Click Here to visit 3057's HomePageSend a Private Message to 3057Direct Link to This Post
Alright, the Duke in my 85 2m4 coupe is sitting right at 205K original miles, and I'm starting to think it's minor-overhaul time. It doesn't smoke at all, I've replaced most of the sensors, so now I'm leaning toward general mechanical stuff. I'm shying away from a new fiber camshaft gear set, and I can't find any parts stores (Advance, Pep Boys, or O'Reilleys) that can source the alloy or steel timing sets or individual gears.
It looks like I'm heading toward the Fierostore's alloy set, but I've come across a Cloyes steel "straight-cut" set for "Pontiac 151 race engines." I'm wondering if this would be a reliable set-up in lieu of the alloy set for a daily driver, if they're notably stronger than the alloy set, or if the only caveat might be a "whine" sometimes associated with the big 350 gear-drives.
Thanks in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
StockGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StockGTSend a Private Message to StockGTDirect Link to This Post
Most parts stores should give you the option of Steel / Alloy timing gear set.
Since the Fiero had the Fiber gear, that is what the parts books will show for a Fiero 2.5L . Try looking at the timing gear set for a 1964 Chevrolet Nova 2.5L.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
I believe the Chevy 250 I-6 timing sets also fit the Iron Duke, though I'm not 100% sure.

I do know that the Cloyes catalog shows at least one timing set common between Pontiac 151 and Chevy 250.

I also know that they said just because its not listed as a fit doesn't mean necessarily that it won't work, it just means they've never validated the components for that application.

Good luck! I have a 8-1018 set (or something like that) which is a steel/alum helical cut set that I plan on using.

Kurt
The_Stickman2

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post
I have two different manufacturers alloy gear set's. I will try to remember to post the part #'s tomorrow.

------------------
My sites
http://the-stickman.tripod.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheStickman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3057Click Here to visit 3057's HomePageSend a Private Message to 3057Direct Link to This Post
Found it! Sealed Power set is 2522, alloy/steel set for a 64 Nova w/ 153. Thanks for the direction!
patch

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2008 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for patchSend a Private Message to patchDirect Link to This Post
I've had both straight cut and normal metal timing sets in dukes, both whine like a noisy gear drive in a SBC.
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
metal duke timing gear from 72 nova 6 cylinder:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079733.html
DPWood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DPWoodClick Here to visit DPWood's HomePageSend a Private Message to DPWoodDirect Link to This Post
There is also a strait cut set available in the rock auto website. Overkill for a stock rebuild IMO. The fibre gears last for a long time. I have had several duke engines with 250,000-400,00 km that still had decent gears on the timing set. Only one engine had a fibre tooth failure. It was in the 400,000 km range.

------------------
His Fiero: 1984 2M4 Coupe

Her Fiero: 1984 2M4 Convertible

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post05-12-2008 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Primary reason for the fiber gear is noise reduction. If the engine is maintained properly and the oil changed regularly the fiber gear will last the life of the motor.

JazzMan
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

I believe the Chevy 250 I-6 timing sets also fit the Iron Duke, though I'm not 100% sure.
Kurt

Yes. That is correct. We did that on the first Fiero we owned. Steel to Steel timing gears. We also enlarged the oiling port for the gears, which helped some with the whine.
The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post
Ok sorry this has taken so long. Head was killing me over the weekend.

Cloyes 8-1016 or 923871

and

Dynagear 2525S
PFF
System Bot
The_Stickman2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Stickman2Click Here to visit The_Stickman2's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_Stickman2Direct Link to This Post

The_Stickman2

1030 posts
Member since Sep 2007

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Primary reason for the fiber gear is noise reduction. If the engine is maintained properly and the oil changed regularly the fiber gear will last the life of the motor.

JazzMan

Sorry but I can't agree wih that. Mostly because I had one go on me. It was my daily driver and was properly maintained. I have seen them go on other engines that use the same set.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock