need help! priming oil by Ac Fiero
Started on: 05-07-2008 03:08 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Ac Fiero on 05-07-2008 11:39 PM
Ac Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ac FieroSend a Private Message to Ac FieroDirect Link to This Post
im in the middle of my first solo engine build, on a 2.8 stroker. like an idiot i put my lower intake and valve covers on before i primed the oil. im also using my old distributor with the gear ground off and a drill attached to it to prime. when i first tried priming it today, oil shot out of the pressure sending unit tube ( or at least where it was supposed to be ). so i fixed that and now im trying to look through the oil fill hole to watch the push rods while im spinning the pump. i ran the drill for 3 straight minutes and there still wasnt any oil coming out of the rods. i did that several times and still got nothing. the drill spins 900 rpm, is that fast enough? any tips or ideas on what to do would be great

------------------
Anson Craig

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
turn on the igntion, and watch the oil pressure guage.
but - anyways - I think there is oil pressure at the dist base - and when it is open - it'll let the oil by at that point.
yes - what you are doing is fine & good.
Ac Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ac FieroSend a Private Message to Ac FieroDirect Link to This Post
the engine is on a stand so i cant turn the ignition. the pump should be primed since it shot oil out of the sending unit hole right? ther was also oil coming out of the bottom of the distributor but i put an o ring there, now its not

[This message has been edited by Ac Fiero (edited 05-07-2008).]

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2008 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The oil pump is fairly hard to turn, enough so that your driver should be wanting to twist fairly hard. If it's freewheeling then you're not building pressure.

JazzMan
Ac Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ac FieroSend a Private Message to Ac FieroDirect Link to This Post
there is resistance on the drill and im positive all the push rods are clear

[This message has been edited by Ac Fiero (edited 05-07-2008).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
The push rods will NOT show oil until the engine runs. They need cam action to work the valves in the lifters.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Correct, the oil is forced up the pushrods by the lifters, its impossible to get oil up there without the cam rotating.

Its safe to assume its good now, just remember if you take the oil filter off, or if the drainback is faulty, it will be dry again by the time you go to crank it.

What I like to do when I cant prime the engine, and every time I change the oil (on top of prefilling the oil filter) I pull the Injector fuses, so the engine cannot get any fuel (you could also just take the coil wire off) and crank the engine until I register 40 PSI for 5-10 seconds. This ensures there is oil everywhere before the combusion starts hammering on things. Granted this isnt as good as priming the oil system, I reccomend it to keep the engine from running dry. So I would do that as well before you fire the engine.
Ac Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ac FieroSend a Private Message to Ac FieroDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the info. i needed that to go on and bolt it to my tranny without worrying about the oil. i was a little scared about it because i need to get it done before i graduate on the third, my cars at school.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock