Automatic to Manual transmission swap by Jakezilla3
Started on: 05-07-2008 02:03 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: jscott1 on 05-12-2008 03:14 AM
Jakezilla3

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jakezilla3Send a Private Message to Jakezilla3Direct Link to This Post
Hello all! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have been digging and digging and I am not finding very much info on anyone swapping an auto for a stick. Maybe it is just so simple that noone bother to talk about it. I have heard stories about welding clutches and things like that, but I figured that because the Fiero was a small production that the clutch mounts might be in all of the cars. Is this correct? I have a line on a really nice 88 Formula but it has the 3 speed auto and I eventually wanna do a 3800SC swap with a 5 speed and don't really have the facilities to do much welding.

Thanks!

------------------
#1 Lurker

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I'm not sure where welding fits in the equation, but if you take a stock Fiero automatic transmission out and put in a stock Fiero manual transmission there is no welding involved. The cradle on the 88 is designed to accept both.

You will need a bunch of parts, but it's been done many times. You need the shifter, shift cables, pedal assembly, clutch master and slave cylinders, clutch line, the clutch itself, and of course the manual transmission. Don't forget the flywheel and the release bearing, and the axles.

The best time to consider the change is duing an engine swap since you are already taking all that apart anyway. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 05-07-2008).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
if you have done your digging, I am sure you have seen the carnage that the 3800SC would cause to a 5speed... For all the extra cost and hassle, your still better of with an auto in the end.
Jakezilla3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jakezilla3Send a Private Message to Jakezilla3Direct Link to This Post
Hey, thanks for the speedy reply! I was sure that the tranny would fit, I was just concerned about mounting the clutch pedal itself. It sounds like that is not a problem, so that is good!

And ya, I have heard about ripping 5 speeds apart, but shifting is so much fun! I originally thought that having a manual daily driver (99 Nissan Sentra) and a auto "fun" car was backward from what it should be, but I think that I could handle it
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Like these guys mentioned, there shouldn't be any welding involved.

I had to weld up a tranny mounting bracket during my FWD Getrag install, because I couldn't find the correct mounting bracket. But this is only an issue for the FWD (front wheel drive) transmissions.
zza_mud

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zza_mudSend a Private Message to zza_mudDirect Link to This Post
im doing an 3800sc swap with auto now send me a pm its an 85 gt with 4speed let me know maybe we can trade all the parts
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zza_mud:

im doing an 3800sc swap with auto now send me a pm its an 85 gt with 4speed let me know maybe we can trade all the parts

That would be a great deal for him, I would suggest some money come your way.
Jakezilla3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jakezilla3Send a Private Message to Jakezilla3Direct Link to This Post
lol, I guess I missed what we are trading?

BTW I am picking up the car Sunday, I am sooo excited to be finally taking the leap into a Fiero after 5 years of contemplating!
gem1138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Direct Link to This Post
I asked the good folks at “The Fiero Factory” about switching to a manual before I bought my 88GT with an automatic transmission.
They gave me a quote that I don’t remember but their recommendation was don’t do it.
If you must have a manual transmission, buy a car already so equipped.
For what it’s worth, having lived with mine for 8 months now, I have no regrets. In traffic an automatic is a blessing.
Also with the unassisted steering in a Fiero, it is nice to be able to keep two hands on the wheel.
Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2008 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroDirect Link to This Post
I did it in 4 days, no biggie

I found it easier to find a 2.8 with a manual tranny already on it.

I poped it in, ran new shifter cables, switched the pedals and spliced in some ignition and backup wires.

Crimped off the ATF coolant lines and added a master and slave and the clutch line
Done
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2008 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by gem1138:

I asked the good folks at “The Fiero Factory” about switching to a manual before I bought my 88GT with an automatic transmission.
They gave me a quote that I don’t remember but their recommendation was don’t do it.
If you must have a manual transmission, buy a car already so equipped.

Auto versus manual is very much a personal thing, like mayo versus miracle whip. There is no right or wrong answer. And switching to manual is not a big deal.

When I did my 4.9 swap I kept the auto because the car was an auto. But even with twice the horsepower, I hated the auto and regretted my decision. Eventually I swapped out the auto for a manual. Would have been a lot cheaper to do it the first time.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock