Started on: 05-05-2008 07:53 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: fierofetish on 05-07-2008 04:24 PM
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post05-05-2008 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishClick Here to Email fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
When I bought the car, the headlights didnīt go up and down reliably, so I took the motors etc apart, cleaned out all the grease that had gone hard, new grease , and they worked perfectly...except!! When I turn the positional lights on (Euro spec of course ), that is fine. Then I put the headlights on, and up they pop, and everything is hunky-dory. Then when I turn them all off, the positionals go off, but the headlights remain up, and on. So then I have to turn on the positional lights again, and then off...and the headlights go down!!
I thought it might be a problem with the switch itself, so I left it..they worked after a fashion, and that was ok for me. Anyway, I thought I would correct the fault now the car is sold (hopefully ), and fitted a different light switch....and it still does it!! What is the problem here? I dont think I messed the wiring up at the headlights, but I must have. Any ideas please?
TIA
Nick
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 475
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggClick Here to Email buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i've always thought it was a problem with the light switch before.
now i have to go look at a schematic for a while.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageClick Here to Email DodgerunnerSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Buddy, what do you think, wonder if the iso relay contacts weld together a little and stick. But that would not explain the lights staying on also. If they really do or could it just be the dash lights that stay on? If the diode in the relay was also bad the power would backfeed to the dash lights.

Just crazy ideas...
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggClick Here to Email buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:
If the diode in the relay was also bad the power would backfeed to the dash lights.
Just crazy ideas...

not crazy, hell at this point my head hurts and i'm open to a crazy idea.

i've been trying to figure out what would happen if the main diode was shorted in the isolation relay (not the voltage spike diode parallel to the coils).
but i've never seen a shorted diode. only an open one.

Nick, would you turn you headlights on, turn the switch completely off, and then remove and reinstall the tail light fuse.
i cant think anymore so i'm not really sure why i want you to try this.
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageClick Here to Email DodgerunnerSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Nick, I forgot, what year Fiero are we talking about?

BTY know your a ways from Granada but my daughter was there last weekend and said that is her favorite place she has been to in Spain.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 05-06-2008).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2008 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishClick Here to Email fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks buddycraigg..sorry for the tardy reply...time difference
Did as you say..and when I put the fuse back IN, the lights went down!! Hmmmm...now what??

Dodgerunner..it is a 1986 GT.
Granada IS beautiful!! Only passed through it many years ago on the way to a gig in Portugal (I was driving my 1985 Camaro, which made the trip even better!!HAHA!!)
Nick...but it is breath-taking in its beauty..your daughter has excellent taste

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

not crazy, hell at this point my head hurts and i'm open to a crazy idea.

i've been trying to figure out what would happen if the main diode was shorted in the isolation relay (not the voltage spike diode parallel to the coils).
but i've never seen a shorted diode. only an open one.

Nick, would you turn you headlights on, turn the switch completely off, and then remove and reinstall the tail light fuse.
i cant think anymore so i'm not really sure why i want you to try this.

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2008 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishClick Here to Email fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003
I have a spare headlight control module, but I am reluctant to start taking things apart to get at the other one..
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 05-06-2008).]

Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageClick Here to Email DodgerunnerSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
OK, you say you have a control module...that is what I was wondering. Does the car have the 2nd gen light control and not the relays of the earlier fieros?

If so then it makes since with what is happening... And would be a poblem in the control module...
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2008 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishClick Here to Email fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Just checked..it has the gen 1 with relays..sorry to mislead you!! The spare came with my 87 Fiero

Nick
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggClick Here to Email buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
the only thing i can think of is the diode in the isolation relay is shorted and alloying power for the taillights to keep the coil energized.
so it keeps the relay from going to "rest" and the taillight power switching over to close the motors.

and i show where the relay is and how i get to the 2 bolts that hold it on in the first few minutes of this video.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 05-06-2008).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-06-2008 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishClick Here to Email fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Couldnīt help myself buddy!! I watched the whole durned thing great video...thanks!!
Nick
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggClick Here to Email buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:
great video...

thanks.
it probably doesn't make much sence without the other half of it.
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggClick Here to Email buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
well old man, did you try the different relay yet?
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-07-2008 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishClick Here to Email fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Nope!! Donīt have another one to swap in...I will be playing with it tomorrow maybe..had a LOT of things to do regarding my music work..start on saturday...and I canīt get into my suits by about 4 inches round the waist..
The switch works ok, although the sequence is wrong, so it can wait a day or two..the 'buyer' wonīt be coming to pick the car up for another week...I get the feeling he might just not turn up he is now saying he has to sell HIS car before he can pay me...Spanish eBay is not without its fair share of ermmm..*****ers We'll see...
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 05-07-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock