Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Prev owner straight wired after starter wires. Need correct wire & fusible link sizes

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Prev owner straight wired after starter wires. Need correct wire & fusible link sizes by redraif
Started on: 05-01-2008 03:38 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: redraif on 05-17-2008 02:33 AM
redraif

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
Ok I have been searching through thread after thread. My eyes are dancing. I have still not found the answers...

I need to know what normally recieves power off the starter on the 84 dukes. I have detailed below what I have, but I have a previous owner nightmare. I plan to swap the harness if I can find a clean 84. So far the junkyards have not been to fruitful. So in the interum I would like to get the car safe to drive as the back up car.
I need to know:
a. what came off the 84 starter or junction block (I don't have one to everything is to the starter power lug)
b. what is the correct size of wire for each component
c. what size fusible link I need to have or what fuses if I decide to do a maxi fuse type junction off the starter.

Here is what I have seen on my chopped up car....

Ok on the POWER side:
1. 4gauge battery cable runs down to the large stud on the starter solenoid.
2. 10ish gauge red wire on battery cable clipped and unused.

From STARTER:
1. On the small stud, the purple wire is still there and intact and runs into the car. It just does not look purple anymore when you are under the car.
(does it need a fusible link?)
2. On the large stud, I have a 10ish gauge running to the Alternator. (would the car perform better with an 8 guage?)
3. On the large stud, I have a small orange/tan wire 16/14 guage running into the firewall wire junction that is on the driver side passing into the passenger cabin. ECM feed?
4. On the large stud, I have a 10 gauge running about and ending up going into the firewall. I assume main power for the interior?
5. On the large stud, another 10 gauge (need to trace, will update) COIL/ distributer?

Does this sound normal? Do the sizes sound adequate?

If I do go to a relocated power junction what size wire should I run from the starter to it?

Thank you guys!

Advance only had 14 gauge links. Any idea where to get larger ones if I need them?

------------------
"I'm just a girl..."
1984 Indy Fiero Pace Car
1987 Red & Black Firebird: "RAIF" WEBSITE: www.redraif.com
OTHER CARS’ WEBSITES:
1982 Trans AM / 1990 Chevy Dually / 1976 Scout II / 1987 Nissan Pulsar

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
Any 84 people floating about? I just want to be sure I do not burn the car to the ground
ly41181

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2008 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ly41181Send a Private Message to ly41181Direct Link to This Post
Here ya go: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/083235.html

I used this when I was redoing mine. I put a junction block from a later year fiero in mine and moved them where I could see them.
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2008 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
That was the exact thread that got my brain going and made me want to do the relocation. The only bad thing was that I still don't know what should be wired off the starter, and whats the correct guage. If I knew the correct wire gauge I understand the Fusible link should be 2 sizes smaller.

I just don't want to assume the previous owner put in the right size and then start blowing things because its too small, or its too big and then I still really have no protection. I have a Summit 25 min from the house & was going there this weekend. I figured I could get all the links or link wire I needed there. I just need some sizes before I go of the wiring that should be there. Ideally, I would like to get some other colored wire from summit (10 guage blue/ green /white, something other then red) so I can make each a different color. Then I will know what is what. Previous owner already replaced the whole thing I just want to be sure its done right! I don't want to loose the Indy to an electrical fire.

redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2008 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
Still need help. Summit did not even have rolls of fusible link wire. Guess its a sign of the times. Any thoughts?
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
Bump so maybe someone who can help will see it!
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Noone can help you! Muahahahaha...
J/K.

I honestly do not know the rules on fusible links.

Try here for info.
http://forums.corvetteforum...thread.php?t=2016488
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ly41181:

Here ya go: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/083235.html

I used this when I was redoing mine. I put a junction block from a later year fiero in mine and moved them where I could see them.

Beat me to it.

When you do this make sure to use some heat reflective tape and while you are under there a starter motor thermal blanket is a good investment!
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2008 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
MMMM.... good some stuff to sift thru. Thank you guys!

Now my only dilemma is what is the correct OEM wire size?

Originally posted by Toddster:

Beat me to it.

When you do this make sure to use some heat reflective tape and while you are under there a starter motor thermal blanket is a good investment!

Only problem is it ends with my very question.... UGH the thread killer question.

Got a blanket and some thermal wire covering to go on the new stuff once I get it on!

[This message has been edited by redraif (edited 05-07-2008).]

redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
So i might be able to do some work on the car this weekend. Anyone got any sizes?
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I guess the general rule of thumb for fusible link wiring is, 4 sizes smaller than the wire you are putting it in. But don't hold me to that.
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Here you go:

edit: I don't have any info on the 84 but here's a list of the links used on later models shown in the Haynes manual: edit2: The starter lead is not fused (no link).

edit 3: The four gauge difference is correct for AWG, not metric. Metric fusible wire is difficult to find in the U.S. so the closest AWG is commonly used. Fusible wire is not the same as regular wire (see Ogre's Cave). Also read this: http://www.madelectrical.co...g/fusible-link.shtml The wire clearly labeled "2.0 SQ MM" is described as "14 Gauge". Close enough.

[This message has been edited by spark1 (edited 06-02-2008).]

redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifDirect Link to This Post
Guess I should ahve been abit clearer... LOL. Hazards of posting at work. I understand the 4 sizes smaller... I just need the stock main wiring sizes so I can replace and then get the link 4 sizes smaller.

On the metric protected wire sizes... how do those translate to gauges? I might be able to use that to determine what my stock main wire should be. Do I need to strip some wire and measure it in MM to determine its Metric Size?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock