Dead Dash Cluster by foolsgold87
Started on: 04-26-2008 08:48 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: foolsgold87 on 04-27-2008 06:30 PM
foolsgold87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for foolsgold87Send a Private Message to foolsgold87Direct Link to This Post
Hi. I just got my fiero back on the road after a year and a half dorment. When i bought the car, the speedo and odom were not working. I changed the speedo generator out which had a broken gear. Still nothing. Now, my tach, oil gage, gas gage and right blinker indicator have all stopped working. Car runs great so am driving it every day from Lakemoor to Arlington Hieghts. But all my guages are not working. Ground seems good. I've changed the speed generator twice and the guage cluster 3 times. still no change. Any other ideas? I' totally out of ideas here.
thannks.
Rob

------------------
Rob Teague
Lakemoor, il.
Gold 87 Coupe

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Do you have lights on the cluster? Check the gauges fuse, sounds like you are not getting power to the whole cluster.

If the left blinker is working but nothing else, that would be the first time I ever heard of that one. But since you have already replaced the cluster a few times, the problem is most likely in the car wiring.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-26-2008).]

foolsgold87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for foolsgold87Send a Private Message to foolsgold87Direct Link to This Post
Yes all lights on the dash are working. I'm going through threads here checking things that are mentioned and no change. I'm just not that good with electrical. Guessing it's going to end up being something very simple.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
If you hadn't already replaced the cluster I would suggest that the printed circuit board on the back had gone bad, (common failure mode) or that you lost power to the cluster, (but there are several power feeds).

There are only a few things that can take out the whole cluster such as the fuse. But I believe the lighting and turn signals are on different power, but I'm not looking at the drawing right now. Do you have another Fiero to test the cluster? That sounds silly but most of us do. You have to be 100% sure you have a good cluster then you can work your way backwards and find out what's wrong. I suppose it's possible, however unlikely that every sensor has failed simultaneously.

foolsgold87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for foolsgold87Send a Private Message to foolsgold87Direct Link to This Post
No, sadly I only have the one car. Lots of parts but only one car to test them on.
CC71

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CC71Send a Private Message to CC71Direct Link to This Post
i had a simular problem, everything except my speedometer and blinkers went out. i checked the gauges fuse and it looked good, decided to try and switch it out anyway with the radio fuse (damn thing doesnt work anyways!) and bam tach, fuel gauge and everything came back on.
the next morning on my way to work the speedo didnt work, (since i was just sitting still in the drive way i didnt notice it!) put a new fuse in the radio one and then it worked....so if you havent tryed that id replace those fuses just to see, i tore apart all kinds of stuff looking for a loose connection and it turned out to be something simple.

[This message has been edited by CC71 (edited 04-27-2008).]

foolsgold87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for foolsgold87Send a Private Message to foolsgold87Direct Link to This Post
Oh how I wish it could be that simple. I just ran down and changed all the fuses out and still nothing. But thanks. I'll try just about anything right now.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock