Coolant leak at Rad fitting by Salmonbum
Started on: 04-26-2008 04:27 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Salmonbum on 04-28-2008 08:18 AM
Salmonbum

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SalmonbumSend a Private Message to SalmonbumDirect Link to This Post
I went to go look at another Fiero, which was a really nice car except for a coolant leak. If you look at the radiator on the Drivers side, there is a small steel line that goes into the top of the side tank and another near the bottom. The one on the bottom is leaking. Is this a Trans cooler line? What would it take to fix this? A new fiiting on the line? New Line? The car has been siting for a few yrs. The fitting does look a bit rusty
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Yep, tranny line. You can buy the entire line pre-bent in stainless from a few places, or just patch the line. Its a common issue.

You could cut the old line out where its broken and put fittings on to install a new section. You can also use transmission cooler hose to patch it.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Click For Live Help!

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2008 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Salmonbum:

I went to go look at another Fiero, which was a really nice car except for a coolant leak. If you look at the radiator on the Drivers side, there is a small steel line that goes into the top of the side tank and another near the bottom. The one on the bottom is leaking. Is this a Trans cooler line? What would it take to fix this? A new fiiting on the line? New Line? The car has been siting for a few yrs. The fitting does look a bit rusty

Yeah, like Xanth said, that is the tranny cooler line. I would just check it to make sure it's tight first. The Fiero Store sells the entire kit, in stainless. It's pretty decent.

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible (Wife's Car)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 (3.2) 5-Speed
1984 Porsche 944 5-Speed
1981 Pontiac TransAm (Olds 455BB)
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Salmonbum

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2008 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SalmonbumSend a Private Message to SalmonbumDirect Link to This Post
Thanks.

Its leaking right where the fitting screws into the radiator. Would this more than likley be the fitting on the end of trans line or the actual screw hole in the radiator?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock