water induction test (low tech) by mike-ohio
Started on: 04-25-2008 09:43 PM
Replies: 1
Last post by: OH10fiero on 04-25-2008 10:10 PM
mike-ohio

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageSend a Private Message to mike-ohioDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I usually just read the threads and this is the first one I’ve started.

After reading all the posts on water injection/induction I decided to try a test with the Fiero. I thought about trying one with my Jeep but Scott-Wa posted an excellent post about heated O2 sensors cracking and having issues with additional water vapor so I will stick to the Fiero which does not have a heated O2 sensor.

I’m not going to try for massive increases in mileage just maybe a couple percent. That may occur just from the cleaning properties of the water turning to steam and cleaning the carbon out of the engine. My cat is already hollow so that isn’t a concern.

After reading this article: http://www.dave-cushman.net/misc/mannject.html

I decided to try something similar.

Since my 4 cyl duke has a vacuum operated EGR valve the vacuum supply increases vacuum as rpm increases.

I placed a “T” in the EGR vacuum and placed an inline needle valve in the line. Then I placed the other end of the line into a water bottle. I used clear line between the needle valve and the water bottle.

After the engine was warm I opened the needle valve slightly. The vacuum at idle does not draw any water at all thru the line. I set the needle valve to allow just a small amount of water to flow through the hose starting about 1500 rpm. Then I set the valve stationary with some JB Weld epoxy (didn’t want it to move).

After testing I placed a second needle valve in line as a shutoff valve. Everything I’ve read states very bad things (hydro lock) can occur placing additional water into a cold engine.

As I said I’m just testing here to try it out. The duke already gets pretty good mileage and if I just clean the carbon out it should help.

Just from the seat of the pants dyno it seems to accelerate just a tad better. I’ll run it this way for a while and see how it goes. This is my daily driver.

So is this risky? Thoughts about it destroying my O2 sensor?

The whole setup was under $10 so there is no real investment.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
OH10fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post
Water injection is used to reduce the risk of detonation, mostly in cars with high compression ratios or cars under boost. This method is a proven way to save an engine under load, but should be used only in race car set ups or cars that see a lot of track time. The reason being is it will cause premature wear on your cylinder walls and require a rebuild on a regular basis pending on how much you use it.
IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock