V8 Swap Question by BAD87FIERO
Started on: 04-24-2008 07:06 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Alex4mula on 04-25-2008 09:23 AM
BAD87FIERO

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAD87FIEROSend a Private Message to BAD87FIERODirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I have a 1988 Trans Am with a 350 TBI engine, I couldn't help but notice that my 87 Fiero has the Tech IV which is the TBI iron duke. I know there is a kit available from V8 Archie for the adapter plate and such. I know many of you fiero guys like the 3800 swap BUT the 350 is a brand new crate engine with 4000miles on it so I don't wanna waste the cash. I am trashing the bird so im stripping everything out that I can use on the fiero. What do I have to do for the engine swap?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
Go for it ! If you are power hungry swap the cam (heads too if you can afford it) and use a differant intake setup as the TPI is good for low end grunt but not top end power. If you like to keep things basically stock thats cool too.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

BAD87FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAD87FIEROSend a Private Message to BAD87FIERODirect Link to This Post
I think 350hp should be good for now haha. How "plug and play" is the wiring harness?
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BAD87FIERO:

I think 350hp should be good for now haha. How "plug and play" is the wiring harness?

Is the motor a TBI (throttlebody injection) or a TPI (tuned port injection) ? There is a big diferance. I don't think any 350 cid's came with TBI unless they were in a truck or van. The TBI's in trans am's where 305's if i remeber correctly. If the engine is making 350 hp then it has had some work done to it. I'm not to sure about the wire harness but im sure Archie has all the info you'll need ,along with the knowledge (except me )on the forum here.
------------------
ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

[This message has been edited by FIEROPHREK (edited 04-24-2008).]

BAD87FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAD87FIEROSend a Private Message to BAD87FIERODirect Link to This Post
I purchased the engine from 5 Star Engines, the numbers on the block says its out of a 1989 Chevy Truck so the engine IS throttle body injection, I used to have the 305 TBI in it, i scrapped it.

[This message has been edited by BAD87FIERO (edited 04-24-2008).]

prostreet505

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prostreet505Send a Private Message to prostreet505Direct Link to This Post
You can do a search and find alot of useful information for V8 swaps and what has to be done. If you don't find what you need, feel free to send me a pm or a email and I would be glad to guide you through it.

Craig

------------------

FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
It can be done fairly easily if you can weld, from what I take on what others have done. A little info, the 350 tbi from a silverado is rated at around 220hp, so its an improvement no doubt, but there is also plenty more to improve on with the 350. What transmission does your fiero have?

------------------
1986GT 4-speed DOHC and 1987GT Auto

BAD87FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BAD87FIEROSend a Private Message to BAD87FIERODirect Link to This Post
The 5 speed, The engine has custom ported heads, a cam, edelbrock intake, and its got a stage 1 chip
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2008 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BAD87FIERO:

With the stock TB you ain't going to be anything close to that but that is not important. The key thing is it has the potential for that or much more with the right cam and intake. You can slap in whatever you have, learn the install, fix the bugs and later on add to get to the power you want. The beauty of the SBC is that whatever you can think of there is aftermarket for it. So go for it now. Here is my build thread (and upgrade one) to give you an idea of what is involved. It is not easy but the rewards are awesome

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060206-1-046290.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/077431.html

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed Yellow: Nitrous 3.4 + 4 speed Auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay