Brake swap? by Brandyn
Started on: 04-24-2008 09:12 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: 85fiero_fanat on 04-24-2008 10:46 PM
Brandyn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrandynSend a Private Message to BrandynDirect Link to This Post
I was just wondering for the people who have done brake swaps. About how much did it cost total and what is all involved. My dad and I took off one of my rear brakes and may not be able to get it back on with the confidence that it wont leak, so i will probably end up spending a few bucks on breaks from Fierostore

thanks for any insight
Brandyn
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Winkie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
If you can find some good 88 calipers then you can do a 12" corvette brake swap from fieroaddiction. Kit is about 400 + you need to get the calipers. Its the cheapest 12" brake swap I have ever seen.

Ryan
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
What year Fiero? 84 - 87 is different than the 88. Lots of options on the earlier models, 88 has good brakes.
Brandyn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrandynSend a Private Message to BrandynDirect Link to This Post
the car is an 85 notchback
Jeckel

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JeckelSend a Private Message to JeckelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Winkie:

If you can find some good 88 calipers then you can do a 12" corvette brake swap from fieroaddiction. Kit is about 400 + you need to get the calipers. Its the cheapest 12" brake swap I have ever seen.

Ryan

88 calipers will work on the earlier cars?
Winkie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
Yup. You buy the calipers and the 84-87 kit from fieroaddiction. The kit comes with new front hubs the rotors and the caliper brackets. The bracket just moves the caliper out due to the rotor having a larger diameter. Works great. They are easy to install and look good. You do need at least a 16" wheel (I think)

Ryan
Brandyn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrandynSend a Private Message to BrandynDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the insight, now the question is...to try and convince my dad to let me do a swap or buy the rear caliper from fierostore? whadaya think.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brandyn:

My dad and I took off one of my rear brakes and may not be able to get it back on with the confidence that it wont leak ...

This alone tells me that your best bet is to remain stock. Brakes are too important to safety for you and your dad to be attempting a conversion.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I have the Grand Am/Caddy conversion and it works great.

Grand Am needs a bit of turning down on the front rotors to fit, but the back ones go straight on. Grand Am rotors and calipers are cheap compared to other options. If you want the ebrake you have to get the 85 Seville calipers for the rear from Rock Auto, and the conversion brackets from DPWood.

Arn
Brandyn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrandynSend a Private Message to BrandynDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

This alone tells me that your best bet is to remain stock. Brakes are too important to safety for you and your dad to be attempting a conversion.

I think you're right, and yes safety is important. I really just trying to get it back on the road so i think ill keep it stock.

thanks
Brandyn
NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I have the Grand Am/Caddy conversion and it works great.

Grand Am needs a bit of turning down on the front rotors to fit, but the back ones go straight on. Grand Am rotors and calipers are cheap compared to other options. If you want the ebrake you have to get the 85 Seville calipers for the rear from Rock Auto, and the conversion brackets from DPWood.

Arn

I PM 'd DPWood and got no reply

------------------
What really matters is the size of your Flux Capacitor...

PFF
System Bot
85fiero_fanat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fiero_fanatSend a Private Message to 85fiero_fanatDirect Link to This Post

I think you're right, and yes safety is important. I really just trying to get it back on the road so i think ill keep it stock.

thanks
Brandyn

If you need to replace the rear calipers, and your car is an auto. I suggest buying 1990 Beretta front calipers and mounting them in the rear. They are direct bolt on, and are only like $18 a piece at advanced auto. The Fiero calipers are $50 a piece at auto zone and advanced auto, plus they have problems with their auto adjustment using the hand brake. If you still want to keep your e-brake, then go ahead and keep the fiero calipers, but if it's an auto, I doubt your e-brake still works. Most people wouldn't use it on an auto causing it to seize up.

Left caliper Part Number: 184684
Right Caliper Part Number: 184685

The only thing required when mounting these as back brakes, is undoing the bolt that holds the brake line to the shock. The spot that the brake line hooks up to the caliper is a little lower than on the fiero brakes, so the brake line doesn't reach with it bolted to the shock.
Brandyn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrandynSend a Private Message to BrandynDirect Link to This Post
would it change if i had a manual without the ebrake? My ebrake hasnt been connected since before the previous owner, and im not really concerned with hooking it back up.

thanks
Brandyn

[This message has been edited by Brandyn (edited 04-24-2008).]

Icelander

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IcelanderSend a Private Message to IcelanderDirect Link to This Post
Do yourself a favor and replace the rubber brake lines while your at it. If the caliper is so bad, the line is probably not much better. The rubber lines tend to swell after a number of years and will act as a one-way valve. You apply pressure and the caliper locks up. It eventually heats enough to cause a fire if the hose melts.

------------------
Kendall (Icelander) Whitlatch
'85 Fiero 2M4 - 5spd Isuzu
'67 LeMans/GTO clone 6.5 litre TH400
All the rest aren't Pontiacs, so what does it matter?

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NashvilleFiero:

I PM 'd DPWood and got no reply

Not surprised. He's real busy. He is the guy who make them though. He will get back in due course. I'll remind him when I talk to him.

Arn

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 04-24-2008).]

85fiero_fanat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fiero_fanatSend a Private Message to 85fiero_fanatDirect Link to This Post

would it change if i had a manual without the ebrake? My ebrake hasnt been connected since before the previous owner, and im not really concerned with hooking it back up.

thanks
Brandyn

Nope, wouldn't make a difference. Just figured your e-brake may be good, and if so with a manual you might want it. Really, if your e-brake is already bad, just go with the beretta brakes in the rear. I had a bad rear brake caliper and rather than paying $50 a piece for new calipers that didn't even come with the hand brake bracket and spring (which are needed for the brakes to work properly), I figured why not start a beretta swap and save some money. Eventually I'll replace the front calipers too, but that requires either machining the hub off the front rotor, or buying a rotorless hub for it, which costs a bit more. If you need to get rotors also, the front beretta rotors will fit on the back, and are slotted.

IMO, if you need new calipers, I say go for the swap. Just as much work, less money, and less headaches in the long run.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock