Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Why do I keep finding '88s that have rusted out cradles?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Why do I keep finding '88s that have rusted out cradles? by FieroBrad87
Started on: 04-23-2008 04:12 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: FieroBrad87 on 04-23-2008 07:12 AM
FieroBrad87

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBrad87Send a Private Message to FieroBrad87Direct Link to This Post
Am I just in the wrong part of the country (midwest) or is this a problem in '88s?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
No Clue. I bought my 88 from a guy in Rhode Island. It has rust from top to bottom. I now how the engine and trans out for a de-rusting session. I was surprised to see the rear subframe was not rusted out. There was significant surface rust as a result of battery leakage, but it appears to be very solid. The rest has bery little rust.

First run of luck I have had with the car.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I live in GA.
Every 88 cradle that I have seen has been fine, other than surface rust where the paint has been scratched off.

I'm guessing that you're right about the geography.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

TG oreiF 8891

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TG oreiF 8891Send a Private Message to TG oreiF 8891Direct Link to This Post
I got my 88GT from Cincinnati, OH and I lucked out. It is rust free! Even with 190,000 miles on it now (almost) I have still kept it rust free.

------------------
1988 Fiero GT
Cleveland Fiero Club

FieroBrad87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBrad87Send a Private Message to FieroBrad87Direct Link to This Post
I ask because there is an 88 GT here in town that needs a cradle and an 88 Formula in Illinois that needs a cradle. I want to do a small block project in the future and if I find what I want for the right price I'll just deal with the problems. Wisconsin is by far the worst state for salty roads. I brought home an S10 once from up around Lake Winnebago and all that wasn't completely destroyed by salt was the engine block.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock