chassis rust - where should I look? by br1anstorm
Started on: 04-21-2008 04:16 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Larryh86GT on 04-22-2008 12:16 PM
br1anstorm

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for br1anstormSend a Private Message to br1anstormDirect Link to This Post
My 88 Formula has been sitting un-used in the garage for the past 3-4 years while I was working overseas. With the help of a mechanic friend, I am aiming to get it back on the road this summer. It needs new water pump and brake overhaul, but basically the engine, suspension and electrics seem OK. The car was (and I hope still is) pretty rust free: it hasn't been driven on salty roads. But the garage was I guess a little damp in the winter, and there is surface rust on some of the chassis underside. My question is... can anyone give me a checklist of places around the body/chassis to check for possible structural rust, especially those which might be hidden? I know the notorious weak spots on my other cars (Jeep XJ and Mercedes SEC) but I'm not as familiar with the Fiero. I have searched the forum and found horror pics - in threads by fieroluv and NYRED85GT - and hope my car isn't similarly afflicted. But it would be helpful to have experienced guidance on the key areas where the Fiero is known to suffer rust (rocker panels? engine subframe? trunk panels?). Even more useful would be advice or pics on what panels or bits of carpet I have to remove to make sure that the chassis underneath is sound.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
Check up above the wheel well inserts in the back, pull the carpet out of the trunk corners, there is a spot between the door hinges, rear subframe, base of the C-pillar (back lower corner of door pocket).

Due to the use of ecoat, Fieros are surprisingly rust resistant - the spaceframe was dipped into an ecoat tank after it was welded together.

Good luck with your project.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Also look under the battery. Rain water enters the grill over the battery and washes battery acid down under it where it disolves the metal. We'e seen some where there is a large hole under theinsulation

------------------
87GT - with 3800SC Series III engine, 4T65eHD
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Frame rails:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Trunk:

Windshield:

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 04-21-2008).]

br1anstorm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for br1anstormSend a Private Message to br1anstormDirect Link to This Post
Xanth... that is the stuff of nightmares! Wish I hadn't asked about pics. Seriously, thanks ("a picture is worth a thousand words").

Dennis... I took the battery out while the car was stored, and before that I had under the battery one of those yellow mats that's supposed to neutralise any battery acid (I think those mats do a decent job, considering they are pretty cheap). So thankfully, that's one area that has escaped corrosion problems.

olejoedad - thanks, I'll check the places you suggest (my Jeep also had a problem around the rear wheel inserts - poor welding and sealing of the seams during manufacture).

Any more suggested places to check would be appreciated ...
bornobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bornobsessedSend a Private Message to bornobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Lol, mine looked exactly like the one Xanth posted when I got it.

Good thing I'm pretty handy with sheet metal and a welder for a kid.

Now I'm picking up another car for parts that's rotten just as bad and have a bad feeling I'm not going to be able to let another fiero die.

NYRED85GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2008 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NYRED85GTSend a Private Message to NYRED85GTDirect Link to This Post
Yeah someone actually looked at my post. hehe. But really my car was one of the worst ones I have seen here. I removed EVERYTHING that had rust on it and refinished/painted the frame. I am swimming in a sea of parts currently and will be buying many more soon so keep an eye on my thread!
Larryh86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2008 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NYRED85GT:

Yeah someone actually looked at my post. hehe. But really my car was one of the worst ones I have seen here. I removed EVERYTHING that had rust on it and refinished/painted the frame. I am swimming in a sea of parts currently and will be buying many more soon so keep an eye on my thread!

A lot of us have looked at your post. Scared the heck out of us.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock