Wheel wells restoration by falcon_ca
Started on: 04-20-2008 10:02 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: falcon_ca on 04-28-2008 09:46 PM
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
Is there an easy way to restore the black color of the plastic wheel wells ?

Could they be painted ?

------------------
"So, let me get this straight, Your Honda has 1.6 liters, whereas my bottle of Pepsi has 2 ?"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
First pressure wash the wheel wells,then use armerall (spelling?),it will bring them back,looking new again.Yea,you could allso probubley paint them too.But most likeley the paint would eventualley,become dirty looking again,so you probubley wouldn't want to keep repainting over and over again.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Clean them well and spray them with Tire Foam to bring back the black. It's more durable than Armor-All.

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
Here is what mine looked like when I started restoring my 87 GT

Remover the liner from the car.
Wear rubber gloves and use brake cleaner and a green scotchbrite pad and scrub them inside and out.
Slather them with tire black or other protectant. If they are still oxidized you can use silicone spray that you can buy at a scuba shop.
It seems to *penetrate* the plastic a little and restores the black plastic finish well.

Here's what mine look like after cleaning and treating them.
(Outside showing, but the inside looks the same.)

FieroVin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroVinClick Here to visit FieroVin's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroVinDirect Link to This Post
Clean em' and black shoe polish.

------------------
Vin

MAFOA Webmaster
86 SE 2M6 Deceased
86 SE 2M4 Burned
87 GT Black
87 GT Med. Red Metallic

falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Wear rubber gloves and use brake cleaner and a green scotchbrite pad and scrub them inside and out.
Slather them with tire black or other protectant. If they are still oxidized you can use silicone spray that you can buy at a scuba shop.
It seems to *penetrate* the plastic a little and restores the black plastic finish well.

Nice Job

Thanks

Mines looked like this when I bought the car last year.
This picture was took before I ever wash the car.

------------------
"So, let me get this straight, Your Honda has 1.6 liters, whereas my bottle of Pepsi has 2 ?"

[This message has been edited by falcon_ca (edited 04-21-2008).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Don't paint them! Once back in early 90s I painted mines red. Then they started peeling very quickly. Cleaning and dressing is much better. Also you can use rubberized paint but not as good as the previous. But to me the best has been is to lower the car enough so you can't see them

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed Yellow: Nitrous 3.4 + 4 speed Auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

But to me the best has been is to lower the car enough so you can't see them

Later...

------------------

NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post

I like those rims.

------------------
What really matters is the size of your Flux Capacitor...

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
I find that scrubbing them with concentrated Simple Green does the job. No treatments required.
grsychckn

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grsychcknSend a Private Message to grsychcknDirect Link to This Post
I cleaned and scrubbed mine, but there was overspray from the previous owner's paint job on the wheel wells. After cleaining with dishsoap, I used the black duron spray paint from Home Depot that is designed for plastic adhesion. So far they have lastest quite well and look even better. No chips or problems that I know of - I'll try to get a picture tonight.
PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
I used the rubber undercoating spray. looks great! no chipping
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2008 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

On the '86 GT that I've recently acquired, it appears that the previous owner must've driven over a bunch of newly painted yellow lines. There's literally gobs of yellow paint thrown all over the inside of the wheel wells on the driver's side. I'm hoping I can scrub this stuff off as it looks pretty bad.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2008 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioDirect Link to This Post
I may try the Simple Green this weekend. Randye -- what kind of rims are those. They are sweet!
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2008 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

I may try the Simple Green this weekend. Randye -- what kind of rims are those. They are sweet!

HP Design EVO 18 X 8, 38mm offset
Nexen P225/40ZR18 tires
falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post

[/IMG]

It seems that I will have to sand slightly. Even after treatment with brake cleaner and tire protectant, it remains a whitish material which can be removed with 800 sandpaper.

------------------

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by falcon_ca:
It seems that I will have to sand slightly. Even after treatment with brake cleaner and tire protectant, it remains a whitish material which can be removed with 800 sandpaper.

You might also try #0000 steel wool.
I used that to clean up a windshield cowl plastic piece and it removed the old oxidation layer nicely and left a nice finish on the plastic.

3.4Turbo

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.4TurboSend a Private Message to 3.4TurboDirect Link to This Post
I used a pressure washer then painted them with black bumper/plastic trim paint. I have had a good long term result with this. John
papafiero2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for papafiero2Send a Private Message to papafiero2Direct Link to This Post
Just before judging time at the shows i used to go to, i would wipe my wheel well liners down with brake fluid. It makes them shinny and real black, an easy way to keep them clean.
Papafiero
VFR182

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2008 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VFR182Send a Private Message to VFR182Direct Link to This Post
Any chance we can get a photo fo the yellow fiero with nice rims from the side to get a look at the rims? Was any modification necessary to fit those rims and tires on? Did they fit right up? thanks
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2008 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VFR182:

Any chance we can get a photo fo the yellow fiero with nice rims from the side to get a look at the rims? Was any modification necessary to fit those rims and tires on? Did they fit right up? thanks

To get the flat center caps of the wheels to fit, you have to cut off approx. 3/8 inch from the front and rear axle stubs.
Keep the cut SQUARE to the axis of the threads and clean up the first few threads after you cut so you can get the axle nuts back on!
They will come off easy if the end is crooked, but you'l never get them back on without cross-threading them.
I used a abrasive cut-off wheeel in a die grinder after measuring and wrapping tape around the stub as a guide.
Bevel the ends of the stub threads approx. 45 degrees with a sanding drum on a Dremel so you have a "lead" for the axle nut to start on.
Take your time and keep it straight !!

There are more photos of my car in the Daytona 2008 thread.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/067241.html

and here:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/070569.html

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 04-28-2008).]

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2008 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I second the Tire Black option.
falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2008 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
So I've done

1 - Brake Cleaner with 3M pad
2 - Tire Black
3 - 800 sandpaper
4 - 0000 steel wool

Then I finally painted them with Krylon Plastic paint Satin finish.

------------------

[This message has been edited by falcon_ca (edited 04-28-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock