Battery Issues by Jeckel
Started on: 04-17-2008 11:36 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Jeckel on 04-30-2008 02:39 PM
Jeckel

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeckelSend a Private Message to JeckelDirect Link to This Post
Had to replace the battery on Monday, it was at 9.5 volts and would not take a charge. Alternater is around 14 (under load) to 14.7 (no accesaries) volts. battery was at 12.9ish volts when I got home from work, and 12.5ish 4 hours later. It's a slow drain, but enough to where the car probably won't start in the morning. could it be I got a bad battery? where should I start looking for the problem?

------------------
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Have you checked it again since then? Your first reading of 12.9 may have just been a bit high due to the battery just having been charged by the alternator.

------------------
www.FieroDomain.com
"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Click For Live Help!

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
The most common cause of overnight battery drain on the pre-87's is the headlight motors. The motors will usually feel warm if they are drawing current. The alternator itself may also draw current when the car is off and still charge O.K. when running. A quick way to check this is the take the charging lead off the back of the alternator (motor not running) and see if it sparks when reconnected.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:
The most common cause of overnight battery drain on the pre-87's is the headlight motors.

i disagree.
i find it to be the deck lid light switch.
Kekipi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KekipiSend a Private Message to KekipiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

Have you checked it again since then? Your first reading of 12.9 may have just been a bit high due to the battery just having been charged by the alternator.

Surface charge.
Jeckel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JeckelSend a Private Message to JeckelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

I disconnected the battery over night, was at 12.6 this morning. I was wondering if there might be a short in the alternator.
Jeckel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2008 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeckelSend a Private Message to JeckelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

Front or back? Is there supposed to be a light under the front somewhere? I see the switch, but no light. Does this switch just run the ''door ajar'' light on the dash? This light is on when the car is running... the new battery was dead this morning (about 8.4V)
Hank is Here

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2008 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jeckel:

I disconnected the battery over night, was at 12.6 this morning. I was wondering if there might be a short in the alternator.

Could be a leaky diode.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2008 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
12.6 is a full charge on a good battery. A bit higher is ok. If the battery is holding that, and it should hold it for days at least with nothing connected, then you're ok there.

Pulling down like that overnight isn't normal.

Most likely... You have a light on, HL motor problem, or a bad alternator.

There are more notes on this in my cave. You'll need a meter with a 10 amp circuit.

It is sometimes possible to recover a battery that has been pulled really low but you have to be careful. It's really easy to boil a cell if it's done wrong. If you try to run a car with such a battery in it you can kill the alternator. (A battery below 11 volts should always be charged before trying to run the car.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

Jeckel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2008 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeckelSend a Private Message to JeckelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

i disagree.

DING DING DING!!! The trunk light switch was shorting out...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock