Powdre coating the SC. by Italfiero
Started on: 04-16-2008 06:41 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Electrathon on 04-17-2008 07:11 PM
Italfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ItalfieroSend a Private Message to ItalfieroDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone. I would like to get my supercharger powder coated but dont know how to go about it.
Is there anything internally that i have to take out so it doesnt melt? Should i paint the snout seperate?
Finally is it a good idea to sand it a bit smoother?

Thank You...........
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Khaos88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Khaos88GTSend a Private Message to Khaos88GTDirect Link to This Post
good question........bump
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
You have to take the entire thing apart. Snout and all

Edit: The sanding thing. Ya, don't do it unless you have ALOT of time. Unless you go all out, it won't look good

[This message has been edited by RideZiLightning (edited 04-17-2008).]

Team Race-Tech

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechDirect Link to This Post
Yes if you have a lot of time on your hands then you can do like what the owner did on his blower before i installed his 3800 into his fiero.

Joe

------------------

Street Legal Tuning.

Specializing in Fiero performance:
3800 swaps, custom Aluminum flywheels, Brakes, Engine's, Aftermarket Bolt on performance parts, used Fiero parts,

Work e-mail: teamracetech@hotmail.com
MSN: teamracetech@hotmail.com

grsychckn

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grsychcknSend a Private Message to grsychcknDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Italfiero:

Hello everyone. I would like to get my supercharger powder coated but dont know how to go about it.
Is there anything internally that i have to take out so it doesnt melt? Should i paint the snout seperate?
Finally is it a good idea to sand it a bit smoother?

Thank You...........

I took mine to a powder coating business nearby and found that not only do you have to disassemble the snout and body, but you also have to take apart the rotor assembly for the 1" plate that fits between the body and the snout. In order to do this you need a shop that has a hydraulic press and even then you run the risk of cracking that plate if it's not done precisely. I spent about $250 on paint (lots of trial and error) for mine when it was all said and done, and it seems to have lasted fairly well. What I used was the Duplicolor Metalcast (rated for up to 500F) rattle can for the base coat, and the ALSA (www.alsacorp.com) Killer Kan Clear 2-part can for the top coat. It looks awesome. A couple things to note: You probably will want to scuff up the surface a bit for better adhesion and make several light coats instead of one heavy one (the liquid paint will pool in the valleys of the SC). One last thing, I decided to use metal washers on my SC bolts to keep them from scratching the paint I just put down but what I didn't realize was that those washers allowed for the heat off the lower intake manifold to be transferred to a larger surface area on the paint and as a result I've got some bubbling and cracking near those washers. My recommendation would be to use some sort of rubber o-ring or washer in between the metal washer and the bolt heads to keep this from happening. Good luck!

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Blower painting has been proven to increase inlet temperatures significantly btw.
Dementia

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaDirect Link to This Post
That polished blower looks sweet. I did my getrag and got atleast 20 hrs in it and its no where near perfect. IMO it looks way better than any paint ever could.
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
It will need to be totally stripped to be able to powder coat it correctly. I personally would be afraid to coat it due to the precision of the assembly and the risk of warping it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock