Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Is a bigger radiator necessary for a V8?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Is a bigger radiator necessary for a V8? by V8IndyProject
Started on: 04-14-2008 05:01 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: PaulJK on 04-15-2008 11:59 AM
V8IndyProject

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8IndyProjectSend a Private Message to V8IndyProjectDirect Link to This Post
Has anybody done a V8 swap and kept the stock radiator and not had problems? I've heard it can be done, but never actualy talked to anyone who has done it... Thanks. -Mark
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I can't help, but that wasn't you in the blue Fiero I saw the other day? One of the red Formula's is out in Hancock now, too.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

V8IndyProject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8IndyProjectSend a Private Message to V8IndyProjectDirect Link to This Post
Nope, wasn't me. I have a red SE just like yours, and I just recently purchased a red fastback, but neither is on the road yet. -Mark
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
#015 has the stock radiator for the N* and I have a aluminum three core radiator waiting in the wings.
AP2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post
I recall reading about this topic some time ago with a 350. It can be done without overheating when the car is moving, but I also recall the owner saying the AC fan is barely enough to keep it from overheating at a standstill.

[This message has been edited by AP2k (edited 04-14-2008).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by V8IndyProject:

Nope, wasn't me. I have a red SE just like yours, and I just recently purchased a red fastback, but neither is on the road yet. -Mark

Oh yeah, I remember the red one:

Still have the black one?

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
To answer your question I would say it depends. Different engine setups/combos may run different temperatures. Some run cooler and others hotter. I run the stock radiator here in hot humid south Florida without problems but I'm not sure if it will work ok in a 115°F day at Phoenix. What I always say for someone starting a swap is to keep it stock and if you find heating problems then you can always upgrade the radiator as needed.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Depends on many factors but the big one is how much horsepower it's putting out. I run a custom Alum 4 Core, anything less will over heat on Road Course, and I do have a seperate fan switch for hot day city jam traffic (that I can flip on early if I know I'm caught in bumper to bumper creep traffic).

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 04-14-2008).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Some have gotten by with the stock radiator, but I am all for overkill in the cooling area. My SBC car runs a 26x19x3" aluminum radiator and a custom mechanical pump and can idle for hours, sit in stop/go traffic for hours, cruise at 80 MPH/3000 rpm for hours, pull a 1000 lb trailer, etc... all without breaking 190 degrees (180 degree thermostat).

With overkill comes the freedom to drive the car anywhere/anytime without needing to worry about current temps or traffic conditions.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

I asked the same question at the Osage Nationals a few years back. I was told it depends on the system.

Currently I don't have a larger engine swapped in, but I am going for the overkill method myself when I do go that route. Better safe than sorry.

Brad
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

Yep - Bigger brakes too
PFF
System Bot
edzards

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edzardsSend a Private Message to edzardsDirect Link to This Post
I have a 3800SC and could not keep the car kool. Part of my problem is I put a spoiler on the front and I think that gets in the way of the airflow.

I have Archies radiator upgrade and a larger fan for a 5.0 Mustang. I do not have problems now. I run a 180 degree thermostat.

I subscribe to the bigger is better and so I can drive the car anywhere with the a/c going.

Lucky Dick
V8IndyProject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8IndyProjectSend a Private Message to V8IndyProjectDirect Link to This Post
Edzards, did you use a 5.0 electric fan and the motor from it, or just the fan blade, or what? Did it just bolt right into place? I would like to know more about this... Thanks -Mark
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock