Fuel Pump question. by Genopsyde
Started on: 04-13-2008 06:21 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Genopsyde on 04-13-2008 08:26 PM
Genopsyde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2008 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone, now before I get to the specifics of my question, I will give a bit of background on my project. I have an 87 GT with a F355 Spyder rebody done. There is an x-frame welded in underneath to stiffen the chassis. I'm now in the middle of an L67 swap and will of course need to put a different fuel pump in. So my question is, has anyone ever replaced the pump by cutting an access panel from inside underneath the center console? As much as I would like to change it the proper way by dropping the tank, I am not too keen on cutting the x-frame out and then having to weld it back in place. Thanks in advance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2008 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately I do not see that as a real possibility.

To get at the fuel pump the sending unit must be pulled, which extends past the rear of the tank, you'd need to cut a very large section out of the structural center member to do it. Not to mention the risk of puncturing the tank itself.

Most X-Frames I've seen can be unbolted to access the tank, might be worth it to cut the X-frame and make it removable.

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 04-13-2008).]

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2008 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
I will try and explain this as simple as possible,the sending unit has metal fuel lines a good 22 inches long.EVERYTHING in the center console is in the way and that would allso weaken the chassie.Once you know how,it's easy and how often do you need to replace the fuel pump?Rarly.Take it out the bottom (replace the sending unit if necessarey).Allso replace the pulsater with a small piece of fuel line.Grease the rear suspension,while you have the car in the air.
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2008 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the quick reply. the fbody ppl are known to cut similar access doors in the rear hatch area behind the seat to access the fuel pump without dropping the tank. They also cut the lines that are there on the sending unit and then patch it back up with a small piece of rubber fuel hose. I thought about cutting the x-frame out and then bolting it back in, but wouldn't that compromise the structural integrity that it was put there to maintain in the first place?
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2008 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post

Genopsyde

774 posts
Member since Dec 2007

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

I will try and explain this as simple as possible,the sending unit has metal fuel lines a good 22 inches long.EVERYTHING in the center console is in the way and that would allso weaken the chassie.Once you know how,it's easy and how often do you need to replace the fuel pump?Rarly.Take it out the bottom (replace the sending unit if necessarey).Allso replace the pulsater with a small piece of fuel line.Grease the rear suspension,while you have the car in the air.

I agree with you thoughts, but it's the whole x-frame issue that makes me want to find an alternative method. This is definately not my first engine swap, nor fuel pump change, so I know that it's not that difficult under normal circumstances, I just really don't want to screw with the chassis reinforcement.
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2008 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
I think Holley makes an inline pump for injection - might be worth a check
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2008 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
also a possible option, but running an external pump while the internal pump is still in place is known to shorten the life, unless I set it up to piggyback off the internal pump. I'll check on summit and see what kind of options there are.
pswayne

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2008 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneDirect Link to This Post
Maybe you could remove your frame that blocks the tank and build one like the one in this Ebay listing. I don't think this one blocks the tank.
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2008 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
looks similar to what i have, maybe i'll just cut it and modify it to be bolted back in.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock