4.9 install finally by jfoster142
Started on: 04-09-2008 09:22 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Frizlefrak on 04-10-2008 12:22 AM
jfoster142

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jfoster142Click Here to Email jfoster142Send a Private Message to jfoster142Direct Link to This Post
I'm finally swapping my twice blown iron duke for a 4.9 and 4t60e. So far I have the engine and tran mounted to a spare cradle, axles are built, and trunk tub is removed. I've test fit the motor and still need to notch the trunk hinge a little. Things are going pretty well, mostly to all the great posts you guys have put on here! I have a couple of questions: What is everyone doing for a trans cooler? Can I use the Fiero cooler in the radiator? What about the throttle cable? I've got an 85 4cyl, and the end is different. What choices of mufflers do I have other than the flowmaster 80? And how do they sound? I want people to know it's a V8, but I don't want to go overboard either! How is the A/C wired?

Hopefully the chip will get sent out this weekend and I'll start the wiring!

Thanks for all your help!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereClick Here to Email FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jfoster142:

I'm finally swapping my twice blown iron duke for a 4.9 and 4t60e. So far I have the engine and tran mounted to a spare cradle, axles are built, and trunk tub is removed. I've test fit the motor and still need to notch the trunk hinge a little. Things are going pretty well, mostly to all the great posts you guys have put on here! I have a couple of questions: What is everyone doing for a trans cooler? Can I use the Fiero cooler in the radiator? What about the throttle cable? I've got an 85 4cyl, and the end is different. What choices of mufflers do I have other than the flowmaster 80? And how do they sound? I want people to know it's a V8, but I don't want to go overboard either! How is the A/C wired?

Hopefully the chip will get sent out this weekend and I'll start the wiring!

Thanks for all your help!

Yes you can use the fiero auto radiator. Works just fine for that application.

The easiest way to do the throttle cable is to use an 87-88 2.5 cable. Basically slips right in without a problem. When looking for one be specific on what you want. There are 4 versions out there. Auto, manual, and with or without cruise. You can use the fiero cruise cable and it is one unit with the throttle on the 87-88 coupes.

You can also use a camaro flowmaster. They have the same placement for the inlet and dual outlets. The only problem I have seen it they don't fit right if you have an 88 with a factory rear swaybar cause they hit the bar. They are availble with 2.25 and 2.5 outlets. They are pretty quiet until you open them up. A good compromise between "performance" sound and a more "civilized" sound. The 4.9 sounds like an american V8. You can't hate that sound! Anyone who know anything about car will have no doubt that its a V8. This is one of my favorites. Quiet but still outspoken...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZN6zlkbt7I
More...
http://www.youtube.com/resu...9+fiero&search_type=

My fiero didn't have AC from the factory so I didn't bother adding it. From what I hear you can use the fiero compressor aswell as the wiring. I'm not sure about the lines. Hopefully someone else will confirm or deny this for us. I can give you the pinouts and diagrams or you can find them on fieroaddiction.com if you haven't already.

I just finished the wiring myself. Its really much easier then I thought it would be. Good luck and if you get stuck... just ask. There are a few regulars on this forum that have done it themselves and can help with the answers you need. Later.
Fiero redux

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2008 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero reduxClick Here to Email Fiero reduxSend a Private Message to Fiero reduxDirect Link to This Post
Fieroseverywhere, you have a pm
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2008 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakClick Here to Email FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
You can certainly use the original trans cooler from an auto Fiero. I used an aftermarket trans cooler for the simple reason that I live in a very hot climate and didn't want any additional burden on my radiator. I mounted it beside the cradle on the driver's side.

I also went with an aftermarket 6 pass oil cooler, which I mounted inside the engine compartment where the original intake ducting was. I use an external scoop, so it directs air through the cooler at speed.

BTW....I'm using the original 88 4 cylinder/auto radiator, and it works fine. Even in 110 degree ambient heat, my 4.9 swap runs at 180-190 degrees on the freeway, and around 200 in heavy traffic with the fan on. The real key here is getting every last bubble out of the system. It's worth the extra time it takes to burp the system correctly.

I wish I was more help with the muffler.....I had a local shop fab up my system. It's very quiet at idle, throaty at cruise, and downright belligerent at full throttle. I love it. I will see if I can find the receipt and see which muffler he used.

Have fun finishing the 4.9 swap....you're gonna love it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock