Tranny Mount jerking motion by chrismclubm
Started on: 04-09-2008 03:48 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: sjmaye on 04-10-2008 07:01 PM
chrismclubm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post
A year ago, I was looking to arrest the jerking motion of my transmission/engine after shifting into drive and park (it's an automatic transmission). I finally changed the tranny mounts and the engine mount (cost me $180 including installation). The problem however is still there, but only lightly. My pursuit is to totally elliminate this jerking motion. I am aware that the engine is heavy and my mechanic said that this jerking motion is absolutely normal. Any advice besides what I have already done? Should I just suck it up and live with it?

Ty, Chris.

------------------
1986 GT Fiero Owner & Enthusiast

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Check the dogbone. make sure all bolts are tight on all mounts.

I am not sure what year...but some fieros had a small shock type thing on the firewall side of the engine ( some don't)
I added a dodge truck motor mount back there( made own brackets) no jerks now( except for the driver )
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Dog bones are under $10.00 at Advance Auto.
chrismclubm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post
changed the dogbone as well, any other suggestions?

------------------

sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2008 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Just a question or two- You are an automatic. What's your idle speed? If too high you could be feeling the tug of the torque converter. Another thought would be if this was a lockup torque converter. There are threads here that describe how to troubleshoot this. I THINK there is an electrical connector that actually does the locking up. You may be able to simply disconnect and give it a try.

chrismclubm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2008 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post
sjmaye, my car idles at just above 1000. Any idea?

------------------

sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2008 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chrismclubm:

sjmaye, my car idles at just above 1000. Any idea?

Love to help, but the truth is I am a noob on automatics. I have just read a bunch of posts. My car idles around 1000 as well. I thought it was kind of rough when I put it in gear. I found some the cradle bolts loose. it helped a bit, but still not what i wanted. I now have the entire engine and transmission out. The transmission will be changed with a newly rebuilt one as I also had issues with the valve body (I think) everytime the car shifted. It will be a month or two before I have it running again to see if it is better.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock