Painting the black exterior pieces by NashvilleFiero
Started on: 04-08-2008 09:09 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: fierosound on 04-09-2008 09:25 PM
NashvilleFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post
Hi Guys!
I am digging into my new Fiero. I want to repaint the mirrors and the rear vents in black. I have done this type of work in the past on another vehicle. The black never seemed to stay. It faded quickly. What is the best paint / technique to use?
Thanks!
Brit
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I mostly use Krylon Semi-flat black, or BBQ black. Lasted for years on my cars.
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post04-08-2008 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
In 2001 or first part of 2002 I repainted the mirrors & sails right behind the windows and the vents with rust oleum black night metallic,,on 88 notch back I sold the car last year and the mirrors and sail still looked OK,, this is a fabulous looking improvement to these parts this is a fine barely noticible metallic.. I was surprised how good this looks I did not do the side markers but this is such a discrete metallic they would look good .. I did proper sanding and prep............................................................................. the paint was beginning to fade in 2006 just before I sold this to fierogt guy in 2007 but I did not do proper 2 or 3 coats this paint held up extremely well the car was parked outside in florida sun !!
This paint is still available at home depot, an 11 oz can ... this is an upgrade from gloss black,, my painted parts look better than the lid ,, I think 90% will like this for vents and mirrors
OUTSTANDING give a look especially if on a budget and want some inexpensive upgrades
Rust oleum (premium) 7250 black night metallic

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 04-08-2008).]

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
Funny you should ask....

I bought a set of engine grills off Ebay. They were all oxidized and faded. The reason I bought was to cut the bottom louvers off to allow the heat escape quicker. After sanding them down "A LOT" they are now ready for paint.

I notice at every show you go to, everyone wants a shinny car, so, I pick a gloss black considering the originals are a satin sheen. I picked up a couple cans of high heat engine paint 500 from Krylon. After several coats, I just could get the gloss to be mirror like..... evenly. I noticed right away that the ceramic in the paint wasn't allowing this. I figured that the bottom gets the most heat and with several coats on the top and bottom I would be good to go on some regular Rustoleum gloss black paint for the top only. Well, after several coats with sanding inbetween 600 grit I was still not satisfied..... I will say that the difference is very pleasing though, I just didn't do it to MY expectation.... PLAN C - I bought a quart of the Rustoleum patio furniture and many other things in gloss black and I got out my compressor and my spray gun.... What a difference now... Talk about a mirror even finish.... but you know what - Frigen dust!!!!! Back to sanding. I'll get it eventually.

The paint is nice though
NashvilleFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post
Good info. I went with the RustOleum Grill paint. Looks great!

Were the mirrors originally gloss, flat, or satin on these cars?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I use SEM Trim Black PN 39143. Great match and very durable if applied and allowed to cure properly. I just scuffed all my moldings with a Scotch-Brite pad and wiped them down with DuPont Plastic-Prep 2319S ready-to-use unprimed plastic parts cleaner. Painted the trim on my GT in 2001 with this - still looks new.

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-09-2008).]

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NashvilleFiero:

Good info. I went with the RustOleum Grill paint. Looks great!

Were the mirrors originally gloss, flat, or satin on these cars?

Satin--------
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Scuff up with 300 or 400 grit sandpaper, use black self etching primer, finish with SEM satin black.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
I'll second the SEM trim black product, works great for me.
Good Luck
Gary
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Yup, without a doubt, SEM makes the best poduct. Go to SEM.com

Cordially,
Kevin
couldahadaV8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:

Yup, without a doubt, SEM makes the best poduct. Go to SEM.com

I did. Now what does that have to do with paint?

PFF
System Bot
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post
Not only that, they can't do HTML right! Such a simple, basic page too.

Norm
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by couldahadaV8:

I did. Now what does that have to do with paint?

Try this http://www.semproducts.com/

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock