tach, fuel and temp gauge out!..and more by CC71
Started on: 04-04-2008 08:28 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Hudini on 04-05-2008 09:23 PM
CC71

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC71Send a Private Message to CC71Direct Link to This Post
ive been looking on this forum for about 6 months now, but since theres SOO much good information you can search for ive never posted!

since this is my first post ill start with a little about me and my car: im 28 y/o from modesto california, electrician by trade.
my car is a 86 2.5 duke with a 5 speed. i love this car!
my grandmother baught it new right off the showroom floor, whenever i saw it as a kid...i thought it was a race car! hehe.....she could NEVER go ANYWHERE without taking me for a ride in it. a few years ago she fell and broke her hip and no longer could get in and out of her "little car" and baught another....so it sat for the last couple years.
seeing it sit there made me mad! so i offered her to buy it...she said no! offered to do some much needed electrical work at her house for the car....she said no!
so a little while goes past...getting closer to my birthday and she shows up at my house with the title in hand and GIVES me the car! ( i still did the work for her anyways) awesome!
ok so theres alittle about my fiero experience, and heres what ive been going through trying to get this car running right!

so far ive replaced:
all new exhaust and cat
new 02 sensor
new plugs wires
new chassis ground

but recently when i pulled my radio out (trying to see what was up with it, because surprise, it doesnt work either!) i developed my biggest problem as of right now is may tach, temp gauge, fuel gauge AND cluster that shows door ajar and all that went out on me.
the car randomly turns on and off my lights behind the tach and gauges, some times the all work, sometimes one or 2 are off. so what gives? anyone else have/had this problem?
preety much i just need a place to start, i already pulled out the center console to see if i pulled something out while i was messing with the radio wires but everything looked normal.
any and all help is much apprieciated, thanks in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CC71:

ive been looking on this forum for about 6 months now, but since there's SOO much good information you can search for ive never posted!

since this is my first post ill start with a little about me and my car: im 28 y/o from modesto california, electrician by trade.
my car is a 86 2.5 duke with a 5 speed. i love this car!
my grandmother baught it new right off the showroom floor, whenever i saw it as a kid...i thought it was a race car! hehe.....she could NEVER go ANYWHERE without taking me for a ride in it. a few years ago she fell and broke her hip and no longer could get in and out of her "little car" and baught another....so it sat for the last couple years.
seeing it sit there made me mad! so i offered her to buy it...she said no! offered to do some much needed electrical work at her house for the car....she said no!
so a little while goes past...getting closer to my birthday and she shows up at my house with the title in hand and GIVES me the car! ( i still did the work for her anyways) awesome!
ok so theres alittle about my fiero experience, and heres what ive been going through trying to get this car running right!

so far ive replaced:
all new exhaust and cat
new 02 sensor
new plugs wires
new chassis ground

but recently when i pulled my radio out (trying to see what was up with it, because surprise, it doesnt work either!) i developed my biggest problem as of right now is may tach, temp gauge, fuel gauge AND cluster that shows door ajar and all that went out on me.
the car randomly turns on and off my lights behind the tach and gauges, some times the all work, sometimes one or 2 are off. so what gives? anyone else have/had this problem?
preety much i just need a place to start, i already pulled out the center console to see if i pulled something out while i was messing with the radio wires but everything looked normal.
any and all help is much apprieciated, thanks in advance!

My dad was in the IBEW

Fuses?

I know when I put a single contact bulb in the tail lights one time it made all my dash stuff go crazy
In the center conceal there is the C203 plug - try unpluging and pluging that in. Never had a 4 banger?

We are having a tech day this month - interested?
coltabsh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coltabshSend a Private Message to coltabshDirect Link to This Post
I would check all the wires in the engine compartment for any hot or melted wires first. I found mine close to the battery also add a few more grounds to the motor
CC71

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC71Send a Private Message to CC71Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by CC Rider:

My dad was in the IBEW

Fuses?

I know when I put a single contact bulb in the tail lights one time it made all my dash stuff go crazy
In the center conceal there is the C203 plug - try unpluging and pluging that in. Never had a 4 banger?

We are having a tech day this month - interested?

you know what i have been having a problem with one of the tail lights having a bad conection, it also had all kinds of yellow stuff in it. i cleaned it up, and jiggled the wires around and it worked, and still works also is much brighter than the others.

ive never had a four no, actually ive only owned two 4 wheeled vehicle, my whole life and both of them were perfect with no problems....ive been riding motorcycles as my everydays for YEARS now so all this stuff is new to me.
c203 plug....which one is that? picture? i also noticed a few connectors that wernt plugged in, with nothing i could see that went to them.
CC71

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC71Send a Private Message to CC71Direct Link to This Post

CC71

6 posts
Member since Jan 2007

Originally posted by coltabsh:

I would check all the wires in the engine compartment for any hot or melted wires first. I found mine close to the battery also add a few more grounds to the motor

i looked for melted wires and didnt see any, did add a new ground strap plus a secondary one.
one thing is that, theres been a few people that have monkeyed with the electronics in this car. my grandmother told me that a mechanic had rigged the power windows somehow to work. but all these problems with the tach and such just started happening, so its kinda wierd. ive checked all the fuses and theyre all good.
Mister

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Sorry man, can't help much with the electrical stuff but wanted to greet you to the forum

Originally posted by CC71:...getting closer to my birthday and she shows up at my house with the title in hand and GIVES me the car!

Wonderful story, almost shed a tear there LOL...When you have this issue solved (or B4) you should go on "General chat" and post your story with some 80s pics, that would be nice.

Good luck.

------------------

T-Top ~HUD~LEDs ~Red Fieros~Carputer~Montreal Club

CC71

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC71Send a Private Message to CC71Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mister:

Sorry man, can't help much with the electrical stuff but wanted to greet you to the forum

Wonderful story, almost shed a tear there LOL...When you have this issue solved (or B4) you should go on "General chat" and post your story with some 80s pics, that would be nice.

Good luck.

HAHA!

well thanks

you know what...that would be cool, im sure she has some floating around somewhere ill ask.
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Take a look at these connectors on your instrument panel. Look at the copper strands on the plastic circuit board where they meet the connector itself. Over time the copper can get corroded and cause a problem.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock