Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Rebuilding / replacing trunk lock cylinder?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Rebuilding / replacing trunk lock cylinder? by brossow
Started on: 03-30-2008 05:18 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: JazzMan on 03-31-2008 01:47 PM
brossow

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brossowSend a Private Message to brossowDirect Link to This Post
When I bought my '87 it came with the key for the trunk lock stuck in the cylinder and turned 90 degrees. The deck lid was held shut with a bungee cord. Though I haven't sorted out the clutch problem yet, I figured it was time to try to get the trunk lock problem resolved.

I managed to get the lock out without much trouble (after consulting the FSM). I finally figured out why the key wasn't turning. In the pic below, you can see that the metal piece that covers the springs for the ... well, I don't know what they're called, the tumblers? ... anyway, you can see that the silver metal piece at 6:00 in the pic is bent and the pot metal at about 9:00 is busted and bent up. The silver metal piece was jammed up in the broken area and wouldn't turn. I gently pushed it back into place and was able to turn it to the point where I could remove the key.

My question is this: short of buying new door and trunk locks or having it professionally repaired, is it reasonable to think I could get a good donor lock and use the externals from that lock along with the guts from this one to avoid having to re-key or replace everything? If so, can anyone explain how this lock comes apart? I know there's gotta be some secret to simply push the right thing and let it all slide apart, but I don't know that secret.

Thanks for any help or advice! If you can supply me with a good donor lock at a very reasonable price (remember, it doesn't need to have a key or anything, just not be FUBAR like mine) please contact me privately.

Thanks,
Brent

------------------
1987 Fiero Coupe (Notchback) 2.5L 5-speed
1 of 4,458 Fieros in Bright Blue Metallic
Web: www.hootus.com/fieroBuild Thread

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Turn it over and look at the back side. Pull the spring off and it will fall apart. The part that is coming out can be pushed back in place if it is not damaged too bad. If it is trashed any locksmith will have lots of them. If they are in a bad mood and rip you off you should be able to get one for about $.50.
brossow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brossowSend a Private Message to brossowDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Electrathon:

Turn it over and look at the back side. Pull the spring off and it will fall apart. The part that is coming out can be pushed back in place if it is not damaged too bad. If it is trashed any locksmith will have lots of them. If they are in a bad mood and rip you off you should be able to get one for about $.50.

I already have the spring off and hoped that would be the case, but it doesn't seem to want to turn far enough to fall apart. It turns 90 degrees and comes to a complete stop. Looking at the back, I would need to turn it another 45 degrees to let it come apart because of the "lip" on the part that turns. (Wish I knew the correct terminology here.) Even carefully putting a little additional pressure on it with a waterpump pliers doesn't make it turn further. Maybe I'm missing something?
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Then I an going to have to guess that the retainer that has poped up is catching and not letting the lock turn into position to disasemble.
brossow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brossowSend a Private Message to brossowDirect Link to This Post
Okay. I'll keep working at it. Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Got it! Jammed a paper clip down in the notch where it was hanging up and then it kept turning. Still want to find a donor part, however, as this one is trashed, both the external casing (that part that was sticking out a bit in the pic above fell off entirely shortly after that pic was taken) and half of the springs under the retainer, plus the retainer itself. If someone has one to spare, please contact me.

[This message has been edited by brossow (edited 03-31-2008).]

Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
I jsut went out and looked, I do not have a spare. It the retainer is all that is trashed, it is an easy locksmith part to find. If the cylinder is damaged, then you need to replace it. Make sure you get one with the proper key blank so you can recode it to match your door key. You will need a retainer when you recode it as you will damage the old one pulling it out.

I gave you a +
brossow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brossowSend a Private Message to brossowDirect Link to This Post
As you can see in the pic below, several pieces are trashed. Wish it was just the retainer! (And in my defense, everything you see was damaged prior to my work on it.)

Thanks again -- a big + for you as well!

[This message has been edited by brossow (edited 03-31-2008).]

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-31-2008 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Rockauto.com (look around for the 5% discount code):

http://www.rockauto.com/cat...49141,parttype,10597

http://info.rockauto.com/SM...il3.html?TL109B.html

A locksmith can re-key it to fit your door keys.

JazzMan

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 03-31-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock