oil cooler on a 4.9 yes or no? by t697
Started on: 03-28-2008 08:41 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: t697 on 03-28-2008 10:06 AM
t697

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for t697Send a Private Message to t697Direct Link to This Post
In researching swap options looking at the 4.9 i see that some people say to bypass the oil cooler and some say don't. WCF sells a bypass kit as well.

Has anyone had an issue with their 4.9 without the oil cooler or does everyone generally use the oil cooler. I do not plan on moding the motor. I do plan on abusing it in the car but I will be lucky to put 5k miles on it a year. It will also be in an 87gt w auto 41t60 tranny.

Thanks in advance for the help, this forum has been awesome
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtDirect Link to This Post
I plan on running one on mine. Currently just setting up all the mounts and things now.
From what I read,the 4.9 oils very low at full warm-up temps,so I guess I'd feel a little better with one.
The fact that the oil cooolers are pretty cheap,and the 4.9 is allready set up for it,so why not?
linuxpowered88

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post
sure the cooler wont hurt nothing takes more oil for a change but if you don't want it its ok too remember cutting a lot of weight off the car so it doesn't put as much strain on the engine either. But then again you said your foot will be in often so maybe you should. Either way is fine. Inst there some clearance issues with the stock unit though?
Fiero redux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero reduxSend a Private Message to Fiero reduxDirect Link to This Post
I'm gonna run one in mine. It's not that difficult to set up and, in choosing to spend money to delete it (WCF kit) or spend the same money to keep it, I'd rather keep it. Just my 2 cents.
arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
I heard the stock ac lines are prone to leaking so I would recommend all new lines and fittings. I have not been running one on mine and I justify that because I am not autoX racing or pulling an extra 1000-1500lbs of weight (cadillac body)

If you do bypass the oil cooler I recommend the West Coast Fiero kit. I think it was $25 and they give you instructions, the fittings, and a special drill bit that wont bite into the oil passage when you drill it out larger. Definitely drill out the passage if you are bypassing the cooler. Don't want to restrict oil flow.

If you call WCF, they are pretty good on explaining the reasoning and function of their parts. They are a little bias because they want to sell you parts but they give you enough information that you can reach your own conclusions.

------------------
-Kyle
Email: kakagiraffe@gmail.com
Aim: Littlechugger
1988 Notchback 4.9 V8, 5spd Isuzu, Spec Stage 4
True Dual Exhaust, Delta Cam
1993 Ford Probe 2.slow 5spd
1996 Grand Am 3100
2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i

[This message has been edited by arte444 (edited 03-28-2008).]

t697

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for t697Send a Private Message to t697Direct Link to This Post
I'm just trying to make the swap as reliable and easy as possible. I plan on buying the harness and the mounts, not sure whose to buy though, most likely WCF.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock