Grand Am Caliper Replacements by Fosgatecavy98
Started on: 03-27-2008 10:53 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: the reverend on 03-28-2008 05:30 PM
Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Is there a cavalier/grand am/etc caliper that is a direct fit to the fiero front for an 85? I have 04 cavalier calipers that are to big for the stock bracket

Hopefully something bolts up without an adapter.

I have drilled/vented rotors off a cavalier i would like to use.

Also whats a good auto-x, road race pad to go with em?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
William Federle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for William FederleSend a Private Message to William FederleDirect Link to This Post
I have read on this forum that the "Performance" brake package sold by the Fiero Store for the Fiero was in reality, modified grand am front brakes. The package is pretty pricey though.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes, I think mine are '94 Grand Am, and - they also go on the opposite side - as in the grand am passenger side caliper goes on the Fiero drivers side.

also - I think there is some grinding that needs to be done on the caliper bracket
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
The tang on the spindle that faces the back of the rotor has to be ground for clearance of the thicker GA rotor. I used 91 rotors, calipers and pads on my 4 wheel conversion. If you do the back brakes, too, it just bolts right up. Remember that the bleeder screw has to be on top of the caliper and you'll do fine.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

yes, I think mine are '94 Grand Am, and - they also go on the opposite side - as in the grand am passenger side caliper goes on the Fiero drivers side.

also - I think there is some grinding that needs to be done on the caliper bracket

Can you explain a bit more in detail what grinding needs to be done? I probably could figure it out when I look at it but would like to know ahead of time.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:
Can you explain a bit more in detail what grinding needs to be done? I probably could figure it out when I look at it but would like to know ahead of time.

no, I cant - I bought the Fier STore set, and it comes with brackets - but - the posts above does describe it, and I do think there are more posts & webpages with more detail.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

no, I cant - I bought the Fier STore set, and it comes with brackets - but - the posts above does describe it, and I do think there are more posts & webpages with more detail.

Do the new brackets replace the fiero ones? or u bolt the new bracket to the fiero bracket? Im trying to remember by memory so forgive me if im WAY OFF lol
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:

Do the new brackets replace the fiero ones? or u bolt the new bracket to the fiero bracket? Im trying to remember by memory so forgive me if im WAY OFF lol

yes, they replace the existing Fiero brackets.
the kit also comes with new bearings & grease seals for the hub.
you will have to get the existing Fiero rotor cut down to just a hub, and also replace the lugs with longer ones, so you can put on the vented rotor
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
If you take your existing front Fiero rotor to a machine shop they can turn off the rotor, just leaving a hub.
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

If you take your existing front Fiero rotor to a machine shop they can turn off the rotor, just leaving a hub.

Im not worried about the hub, I have a laythe/mill here to do that, I just wanted to know if the caliper was a bolt on, as I have 04 calipers that are slightly to long to fit both mounting holes, so I was hoping the older calipers would be a direct bolt in on the front.
the reverend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the reverendClick Here to visit the reverend's HomePageSend a Private Message to the reverendDirect Link to This Post
GM started using Anti-Lock brakes on 91 Grand Ams and 92 Berettas. Those calipers and rotors are different. You need to use 85-91Beratta, Cavalier calipers, or 85-90 Grand Am Calipers. Those are the ones that match the mounts on the Fiero. The brackets still have to be shaved on the front, and you may have to bend the dust plate back a little. I've done this on my rear wheels and plan to do the front after I get my other Fiero running.

Autozone part#

Calipers C154 and C155
Pads MKD289V
Rotor 5558B
Bolts H5047

these are 86-91 Beratta and 85-90 Grand Am parts

Nick

[This message has been edited by the reverend (edited 03-28-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the info Nick,

Does just the bracket thickness need to be grind down?

Thanks
the reverend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the reverendClick Here to visit the reverend's HomePageSend a Private Message to the reverendDirect Link to This Post
Heres a web site with a good write up on the brake convertion. Its the one I'll be using when I do mine.

http://fierozone.tripod.com/realbrakes/index.html

Hope it helps

Nick

[This message has been edited by the reverend (edited 03-28-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock