Bad belt squeal... by Justin_J
Started on: 03-27-2008 02:44 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: sjmaye on 03-28-2008 02:08 AM
Justin_J

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Justin_JClick Here to visit Justin_J's HomePageSend a Private Message to Justin_JDirect Link to This Post
Yeah so whenever I start it up (stock 2.8) I get this terribly loud squeal that usually stops once it runs for awhile. After it's warm it still does it when I start it up in a parking lot until I get going. Recently it started doing it when I shift down too, and it really is obnoxious. Is it because it's loose? Because it needs replaced? IDK I could probably get in there and figure it out, but I thought I'd tap into your guys' wisdom so I'd have a better idea of what to look for...thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
No worries, this is an easy fix. Several members on the forum sell belt tensioner kits, Rodney Dickman has a nice one, look under "vendors" at the top of page or do a search for tensioner kits.

I wanted to keep all stock on my Fiero so I purchased a "cogged" belt, those are cogged against the main groves of the belt for extra gripping power. You can go with a "Gatorback" or a "Dayco" belt, I'm at work, just snuck outside, belt number Dayco poly cog 5050413, man alive, raining to beat the band!!!

Be sure to thoroughly clean the pulleys, nylon scrub brush, brake cleaner, get them 100% perfectly clean.

Two bolts, loosen top and lower, have a freind with a breaker bar, pole or a crow bar apply tension while you tighten adjustment bolt on bottom, then tighten top.

I swear by those cogged belts, best wishes for a speedy repair.
frankt2012

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frankt2012Send a Private Message to frankt2012Direct Link to This Post
Its a loose belt. It will always stretch over time. If its a V6 Dodgerunner makes a great automatic belt tensioner adapter. I just put it on and haven't had a problem all month for the first time in 4 years.

-Frank
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Your alternator belt is loose. I have always found that a good belt, properly tightened, works great.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
But with Dodge's tensioner you will never have a loose belt again.

I also have his tensioner and haven't had a single squeal since putting it in, not even when starting the car in heavy rain or snow. Was well worth it for me.

If you don't want a tensioner, I would definitely follow Jetman's advice. Clean off your pulleys and get a new belt.

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 03-27-2008).]

Justin_J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Justin_JClick Here to visit Justin_J's HomePageSend a Private Message to Justin_JDirect Link to This Post
Very cool...thanks guys!

Thanks for the part # Jetman.
Dodgerunner, I'd like to get one of those tensioners but I can barely afford gas right now...its definitely something I'll get further down the line. I'll PM you if I change my mind.

Thanks again all.

[This message has been edited by Justin_J (edited 03-27-2008).]

sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
My experience is the belt engagement on a V6 is marginal by design. Been fighting it since buying my first Fiero in 1993. From everything I read both Dodgerunner and Rodney's are both good fixes. It is on my checklist.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock