Temp gauge fix for 84's(pics) by ly41181
Started on: 03-27-2008 12:44 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: ly41181 on 03-29-2008 02:08 AM
ly41181

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ly41181Send a Private Message to ly41181Direct Link to This Post
Following the information here: http://www.fierosails.com/tempgage.html (go down to the bottom of the article)
I was fixing my temp gauge problem when I ran across something. The link above says to remove the G2 wire and thats not right. I did it and it didn't work. Its the G1 wire, the double wire.

To get it out, use a small jewelers flathead screwdriver. Now you want to be real careful here. If you mess the connector housing up and it won't hold the connector wire anymore. But its not that bad. As you look down into the connector, you'll see a little metal tang that comes off the middle wire end. You'll use the screwdriver to gently push it up slightly to get it out of the connector. It will slide out when its pressed.

It will come out and look like this:

Wrap it up good with some electrical tape and move it somewhere it won't be in the way. You don't want it to connect to anything metal. Hook the connector back up and start the car. Let it warm up untill the temp gauge starts to register to make sure its working right. Its nice not to see that thing peg and not have to tap the dash to get it to read.

I CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR CAR! THIS IS WHAT I DID TO FIX MINE. THANK YOU.

[This message has been edited by ly41181 (edited 03-29-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
paulmckibben

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulmckibbenClick Here to visit paulmckibben's HomePageSend a Private Message to paulmckibbenDirect Link to This Post
Great info! I'll fix the web site. If you can provide your name (off-list is fine to fierosails@yahoo.com) I'll be happy to give you credit on the web site.

Paul McKibben
fierosails.com
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Maybe that's why the fix didn't work on my 84 several years ago. I just put it back like it was. Been ok so far. Might try it again now.
+ to ya.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Nice work!

I tried to give you a plus but you got one already
ly41181

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ly41181Send a Private Message to ly41181Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xanth:

Nice work!

I tried to give you a plus but you got one already

You can copy my articles and put them on your site too if you want. I love your how to's.

Josh

edit-crap, ment to pm you this.

[This message has been edited by ly41181 (edited 03-27-2008).]

ly41181

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2008 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ly41181Send a Private Message to ly41181Direct Link to This Post
Just wanted to show everyone a misprint on the wire positions to get rid of future confusion.

Gauge indicators:

Brake indicator:

Notice what position they both say. The brake indicator is actually in the G2 spot and the temp wires are in the G1 spot. This is a misprint in at least the 84 and 86 service manual(above pics). The cut connectors I used for the "how to" photos were from and 87 and they were wired the same way. Paul McKibben says that his 88's manual actually shows the correct position for the temp wires in the G1 spot(although it needs to be pulled out )

[This message has been edited by ly41181 (edited 03-29-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock