Started on: 03-26-2008 08:27 AM
Replies: 38
Last post by: AlanD on 03-29-2008 08:03 AM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
First a little background. I had a bad axle and a bad axle seal. (driver side) Axle would not come out. So for the better part of 2 years I have added oil to the tranny everytime I did an oil change. (every 3000 miles) I am on vacation and decided it was time to make that axle my beeotch. After trying the basic stuff I removed the strut tower and hooked that thing up to a chain which then was attached to the rear of my truck. I then tried to yank it out using the truck. OWNED!! Me that is. That axle made me it's little whore. It did not come out! So now I have to drop the cradle and pull the tranny so I can take it to a tranny shop and see if they can get it out. I've tried to avoid this, but no more. I am going to try tilting the cradle first without taking the whole cradle out.

My question is this, Do I have to disconnect the wiring harness at the ECM or can I just disconnect the C500 at the fire wall? Will there be enough slack? What are any other tips for this method? Do I have to disconnect coolant hoses since they are at the front of the cradle and would not move much. It's a Duke with the 5 speed izzy.

When I get the tranny out I will take a picture of the stuck axle and post in the "You fail thread". I slowly bow my head and walk away in shame. Owned by a CV axle.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 03-26-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-26-2008 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Normally the axle is popped out by prying against a tranny boss against the back side of the cup. Pulling on the axle itself will only destroy the axle as the tripot assembly inside the cup isn't designed to take any lateral force.

Getting the tranny out without disconnecting the motor stuff shouldn't be too hard, You need to use a 4x4 with some cut pieces of 2x4, screw in eyelets and turnbuckles to build a brace that sits across the strut towers and hangs the motor by its two lift loops.

JazzMan
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Normally the axle is popped out by prying against a tranny boss against the back side of the cup. Pulling on the axle itself will only destroy the axle as the tripot assembly inside the cup isn't designed to take any lateral force.

Getting the tranny out without disconnecting the motor stuff shouldn't be too hard, You need to use a 4x4 with some cut pieces of 2x4, screw in eyelets and turnbuckles to build a brace that sits across the strut towers and hangs the motor by its two lift loops.

JazzMan

The axle is already destroyed before I did the chain thing, and if the pry bar had worked I wouldn't be in this position. This axle WILL NOT come out by normal methods. It is stuck, not just being difficult. I have already removed the passenger side and replaced with no difficulties. So I know the difference.

Jim

tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
hehe, man that is a Biatch. I;ve had the unfortunate pleasure fo doing a few axles, not on fiero's, that just like to stay firmly mated tot he tranny. I've found that if the 2 prybar method fails, wedges will usually work. would be nice if they made a pickle fork with a light taper that would fit over the axle, but I;ve not seen one, so I have made some wedges up out of some barstock. if you can, make up 4 of em, and use them as a pair so the pull straight out, against the tranny case and into the 2 flats on the axles. you can put a tremendous amount of pressure on with this, and usually a few light taps on the tripot after it is tensioned will get it to go.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
When one of my axles was stuck I ended up using a 6 FOOT long pry bar to get the bugger out (one of those digging bars with a chiseled end that you can get at the garden store type places). It came out but what a fight.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tjm4fun:

hehe, man that is a Biatch. I;ve had the unfortunate pleasure fo doing a few axles, not on fiero's, that just like to stay firmly mated tot he tranny. I've found that if the 2 prybar method fails, wedges will usually work. would be nice if they made a pickle fork with a light taper that would fit over the axle, but I;ve not seen one, so I have made some wedges up out of some barstock. if you can, make up 4 of em, and use them as a pair so the pull straight out, against the tranny case and into the 2 flats on the axles. you can put a tremendous amount of pressure on with this, and usually a few light taps on the tripot after it is tensioned will get it to go.

What is barstock? Do you have a pic or a sketch of what you are talking about? If barstock is wood, it will not work on this axle. The wood will just crush or splinter before it forces the axle out. I repeat this axle is stuck not just being difficult. But anything is worth a try. I second the notion on the pickle fork for an axle, but that still would not work on this axle.

Jim

Gwain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainDirect Link to This Post
If you don't have some scrap metal (barstock) lieing around to make some wedges like tjm4fun suggested, you could try a local hardware for wood splitting wedges.

A couple of those, one on each side of the axle cup for balance, and wedged against the tranny case will give you a lot of presser. You might want to place a couple of wood backing supports between the trans case and the metal wedges so you don't damage the case. It's aluminum.

I'd try that before I'll dropped the tranny.

Good luck

------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

• 84 SE son's car, loaded
  • 85 Coup w/V6 transplant
  • 85 GT newly on the road
  • 86 SE/GT "The Chameleon" - big plans!
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Another thought and question. How difficult is it to crack the tranny once it's out? Is it something I could do myself instead of taking it to a tranny shop?

Jim
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
the axle WILL pop out. there is a metal clip, which may have jammed itself up - but - it WILL release.
johndl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johndlSend a Private Message to johndlDirect Link to This Post
hey, have you tried taking the passenger side axle out and then using a 1/2" or 3/4" steel rod, insert the rod where you
took out the passenger side axle and you should be able to align the rod up with the end of the sturck axle, then drive
it out.

you won't have to take out the motor or tranny,
any thoughts ?
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johndl:

hey, have you tried taking the passenger side axle out and then using a 1/2" or 3/4" steel rod, insert the rod where you
took out the passenger side axle and you should be able to align the rod up with the end of the sturck axle, then drive
it out.

any thoughts ?

^ awesome idea. this should work great.
PFF
System Bot
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post

it out.

any thoughts ?

What a great idea
If it doesn't go out this way ??????????
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
There is a metal rod in the center of the differential that will prevent pressing the other axle out.

I have removed a lot of axles. My method hasn't failed me yet. I use a large wrench between the transmission casing and I take a hammer and whack the side of the axle cup (preferably the opposite side of the prybar or wrench). Pop! it comes out every time. Brute force isn't very effective. It's the impacting force that jiggles the retainer ring busting it loose. I've seen brute force used on axles to remove them, and the damage it caused when the retaining ring was pried over the splines.
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post

it out.

The spider gear shaft is in the way, otherwise that would be a great idea.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

There is a metal rod in the center of the differential that will prevent pressing the other axle out.

I have removed a lot of axles. My method hasn't failed me yet. I use a large wrench between the transmission casing and I take a hammer and whack the side of the axle cup (preferably the opposite side of the prybar or wrench). Pop! it comes out every time. Brute force isn't very effective. It's the impacting force that jiggles the retainer ring busting it loose. I've seen brute force used on axles to remove them, and the damage it caused when the retaining ring was pried over the splines.

You are correct. There is a rod between the 2 axles that prevents going at it from the other side. This was my first idea. When I saw that shaft....DOH! That really took the air out of me because I thought I had it licked. I will try your method, but I don't hold much hope.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 03-26-2008).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

the axle WILL pop out. there is a metal clip, which may have jammed itself up - but - it WILL release.

I would seriously like to believe you, but this is not a stubborn axle. It is stuck. I know about the snap ring. I have used every method offered here, and I appreciate it, but I have even had a mechanic take a shot at this. Formulamoe from the forum has had several attempts at this axle and on Friday AlanD from the forum will give it a shot. They will testify to the fact that the axle will not come out. Like the song says "Know when to hold em and know when to fold em". After AlanD's attempt we will pull the tranny and either another will go in or a tranny shop will get the axle out of this one.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

Tried it. No luck, and no one is as sorry as I am.

JIm

Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
So stuck like that the axle had no play for the suspension travel???????
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robert 2:

So stuck like that the axle had no play for the suspension travel???????

If you mean that it does not rotate, then the answer is no, it does spin. If you mean it has no play in it as far as moving in and out of the hole, you are correct. Stuck! After reading the misused word thread and I'm pretty confident I'm using the word correctly.

Jim

tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I often forget most people don't have a background in machine work.I really don;t have pics, but I think I can explain what I mean.
Take a peice of steel square stock about 1/2" or 5/8" square, about 4 " long. draw a line form one corner to the opposite lower corner, forming 2 wedges. you can use a sawzall in worst case to slice them into a pair of wedges. if you press then together long ways along that same line, they get thicker. hope that makes more sense. if you need I'll try to do up a diagram.
in effect you want to make 2 of something like these for each side:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/C...5588&PMT4NO=40251098

if you put small end laying on large end, the outter edges stay parallel, and as tyou press then over each other, the thickness of the parallel edges gets thicker. the low angle of the wedge lowers the force required to creat a large force outward.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I found a 18" Cresent wrench in the road one day. This is no baby cresent wrench. The jaws are a good 1/2" thick!! I set the gap for the correct size, then put the jaws between the case and the tripod. I good bump removed both sides of mine two times. I had to remove and replace the clutch for arm in the case.
Good luck and keep us advised on your progress.
Joe Crawford
Texas

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 03-26-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

I found a 18" Cresent wrench in the road one day. This is no baby cresent wrench. The jaws are a good 1/2" thick!! I set the gap for the correct size, then put the jaws between the case and the tripod. I good bump removed both sides of mine two times. I had to remove and replace the clutch for arm in the case.
Good luck and keep us advised on your progress.
Joe Crawford
Texas

Been there done that. I have a crescent wrench like that. I'll be at it again tomorrow. Thanks for the well wishes. I sware to God this axle is going down one way or another. I will advise when complete and I will post pics to the "You Fail" thread.

Jim
the reverend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the reverendClick Here to visit the reverend's HomePageSend a Private Message to the reverendDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

If you mean it has no play in it as far as moving in and out of the hole, you are correct. Stuck!

I call that fused. I have no idea how the manual trans is put together, but the shaft your axle is on will have to be removed from the transaxle. Hopfully the case can be opened. I think you'll need a new axle and shaft.

Nick
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by the reverend:

I call that fused. I have no idea how the manual trans is put together, but the shaft your axle is on will have to be removed from the transaxle. Hopfully the case can be opened. I think you'll need a new axle and shaft.

Nick

Hi rev. I know I need a new axle. The old one is disassembled except for the spindle stuck in the tranny. The nice new pretty one is laying on my living room floor waiting for entry.

Jim

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
I was sitting here thinking about the revs use of the word fused. Could it be possible that enough heat was generated to melt that snap ring on the end after I lodged it in the splines? I have been running it for 2 years with it like this. I wouldn't think so, but I'm trying to think outside the box now.

Jim
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Have you actually tried knocking the axle stub IN instead of out? In not do it it may loosen what's stuck. Also see if you can get your hands on a 3 jaw slide hammer. It'll give you ability to EVENLY pull on it. But seriously take a hammer and a block and smack it IN. then pop it out.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DIY_Stu:

Have you actually tried knocking the axle stub IN instead of out? In not do it it may loosen what's stuck. Also see if you can get your hands on a 3 jaw slide hammer. It'll give you ability to EVENLY pull on it. But seriously take a hammer and a block and smack it IN. then pop it out.

I have tried to knock it back inwards, but that has not worked either. I need to get a metal pole so I can concentrate the blow in one spot and to get better leverage.

NEXT?

Jim

Ken_86gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken_86gtSend a Private Message to Ken_86gtDirect Link to This Post
Maybe you could get a slide hammer with the 3 jaw attachment from Autozone under the rent/borrow program

[This message has been edited by Ken_86gt (edited 03-26-2008).]

Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

If you mean that it does not rotate, then the answer is no, it does spin. If you mean it has no play in it as far as moving in and out of the hole, you are correct. Stuck! After reading the misused word thread and I'm pretty confident I'm using the word correctly.

Jim

That's what i meant in and out .
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
I use a 13lb slide hammer with a chain attachment looped around the axle cup. Has never failed me.

Here's the one I have:

http://www.harborfreight.co...taf?Itemnumber=38878

Good luck.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
Well, if you get desperate enough, I have a thought. since the tripot is whacked anyway, drill a hole thru the center, you should have a small gap before you hit the axle. try a small hole and shoot some pb blaster in there. tap it in a few times to work the lube in.
Holefully the metal at that point of the tripot isn;t too hard, since I never tried it I don;t know if this will work.
if that doesn;t work, drill a larger hole (1/2- 5/8) and rig a puller to the tripot and try to press it off. a few taps with a hammer while there is pressure on there might do it.
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Might sound daft and maybe you've already tried it but have you tried pushing it back in first and maybe rotating it to see if it will loosen whatever is catching.
p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
I had the same problem with an inner axle on an izuzu. I had the tranny out on the floor. Multiple pry bars did nothing, a hugh slide hammer did nothing. Pulling, yanking and swearing did nothing. My advice is to take the axle apart (i think you did) and hit the thing IN not out with a 3 lb sledge hammer, or equivalent striking item. Then hit it on all three sides. Mine dropped out after doing it this way.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Well I've been gone all day doing the family thing. Give me a break, I am on vacation. I just tried to bang the axle back into the tranny with a sledge and a piece of rebar positioned at the center of the axle. It did not budge. I cannot explain in words my complete and utter disbelief. the tranny will definitely have to be dropped now. Unbelievable! I'm not even sure a tranny shop can get this out without completely destroying the tranny. Insert cuss words here.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 03-27-2008).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
Owned by an Axle Part II, Revenge of the Fiero Owner.

SUCCESS! SUCCESS! SUCCESS! SUCCESS! SUCCESS! SUCCESS! SUCCESS!

I can't say it enough. AlanD came over today and gave it one last try. He used these pry bars called slipper toe pry bars. (I think that's the correct name) It was all about having the correct leverage. He will testify that the axle was royally jammed. He had never dealt with one that tough before. I had used flat pry bars, you know the ones shaped like an L, but it never worked. I have 2 new axles, seals and no leaking tranny. YEA! A plus to everyone that chimed in, except AlanD, I have already plused him before. There is a pattern here. Jim gets in over is head and Alan keeps bailing him out. (Why did I go 3rd person there?) Thank you.

Jim

BTW: It was the wrong axle and Advance gave me a full refund on the new one and the old one (the wrong one) I had previously bought. A free axle is nice, but not worth the 2 year hassle.

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 03-28-2008).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Great news.
Joe
Gwain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainDirect Link to This Post
Dontcha just get teary eyed over a happy ending?

------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

• 84 SE son's car, loaded
  • 85 Coup w/V6 transplant
  • 85 GT newly on the road
  • 86 SE/GT "The Chameleon" - big plans!
formulamoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulamoeSend a Private Message to formulamoeDirect Link to This Post
congrats!

I am really relieved you got that axle out, I still have night terrors about it!
AlanD

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2008 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlanDSend a Private Message to AlanDDirect Link to This Post
Glad I could help. As Jimbolaya said, it was definitely stuck. It took two lady slipper style pry bars and way way more force than normal to pop it loose. Usually after you pop the locking ring out of the notch you can just pull the axle free. This one we had to pry it all the way out. Never seen anything like it. I'm just glad it ended without having to grind off the tripot, remove the tranny and tear down the differential. Not something I was looking forward to.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock