Head gasket replacement by ChuckLS1
Started on: 03-24-2008 10:10 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: uhlanstan on 03-26-2008 11:15 PM
ChuckLS1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Direct Link to This Post
The head gaskets in my 86 GT need replacing. How difficult is this to do? I don't have much experience working on engines but I would like to learn. Thanks.

------------------
Chuck
86 GT
96 New Yorker

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
its a pretty deep dig.
you will be removing ALOT. but - if you have a chiltons/haynes, you should get thru it just fine.

if you plan on building up the engine a little - this is a good time to do so. you'll have the chance to:
port the exhaust manifolds, port the heads and intakes & add 1.6 rockers.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I would guess if he is asking this question he is not wanting to "build" the engine any.

The job is mostly taking stuff off and putting all back on in reverse order. Where you have to be carefull is torquing the bolts to the right amount and in the right order and putting gaskets on correctly and adding some sealer in the right places.
It's not really that hard of a job but you just have to be willing to jump in, do it, watch what your going and ask alot of questions if you don't know.

Probably your biggest problem area on a V6 would be the exhaust manifolds. If you try to take the manifolds off the heads it's easy to break the bolts since they rust in. You could leave them on and slit them at the Y pipe but can even have problems there is they are really rusty.

Just giving you some facts so you can think about it. If all goes well it's not bad, just takes time.
But if things are rusting they tend to break and then you have to deal with a slew of new problems and $$$.

If your willing to have the car down for a while I'm sure you could post here and get answers to all your questions as you work you way through it.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 03-25-2008).]

Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Here is an old thread from a now banned member who did this with the engine still in the car. Just to give you an idea of what is involved. Not sure if it will help but it has some pics.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-078632.html
ChuckLS1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Direct Link to This Post
The car has sat for a year so time is not a issue. The car overheated bad so I will need to check if the block is cracked. This is all new to me but I want to learn. Probally going to need new heads too. One thing I forgot to mention when we got it started the other day it leaked oil. Hope that is not a bad sign.

[This message has been edited by ChuckLS1 (edited 03-25-2008).]

uhlanstan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post03-26-2008 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
You need to hear this engine run for a period of time..A badly overheated engine is a damaged engine make sure the engine is worth repair or make sure what you are up against??/ Where is the oil leak?? you need to check the heads for straight flat edge on head surface.. this can be done with a level or piece of Glass.you must check block and heads carefully for cracks.. I would apply a liquid crack detector ,it is a heart breaker to install heads and find you have serious problem,,do a compression check,, this gives some assurence your cylinders are not needing bored...give your selve the assurance your work will result in a better running engine..of course extra scrutiny where the leak is ,, the head will have some warpage you should purchase top end gasket set, remove valves and hand lap with fine grinding compound just enough to see if valves have a good seat,,replace valve seals you need to hear this engine run for at least a minute. check spark plugs to see if water is on plugs before you start again, this is a lot of work ,, you want to know the condition of the engine as best you can before you dismantle top end is there water in the oil overheated badly does not sound good !! I am going on previous experience,, the duke will handle overheating much better than the V 6,,if previous owner did not give you manuals ask if he has one he will not need it unless he is fiero affectionato,,get a manual and search forum for top end removal and related articles label valve components or build boxes to hold them (best) leave lifters in holes protect from dirtcarefully protect lifters as soon as visible cver completelt with cloth,then cover cloth with another

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 03-26-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock