12 inch brake upgrade by thestackpole
Started on: 03-22-2008 10:50 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Austrian Import on 03-25-2008 11:52 PM
thestackpole

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thestackpoleSend a Private Message to thestackpoleDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so I'm trying to put a plan together for 12 inch brakes, and I'm trying to avoid drilling the rotors or using hub adaptor plates.
The car is an 85 SE with and 88 cradle.

If I go with the Corvair hub upgrade in the front I'll have a 5 X 4.75 bolt pattern so I'll be able to use the corvette rotor without modification. From other posts I've read that 98+ calipers are aluminum and mounting brackets can be fairly easily made. This sounds pretty strait forward, am I missing anything?

Can anyone suggest what to do with the rear hubs? I've read that a late '90's cavalier hub is close to the '88 fiero rear hub, needing some light machinging of the knuckle to fit right, but the offset is 1/2 - 3/4 greater. Is there anything else that will give me the 5 x 4.75 bolt pattern with a similar to stock offset and (hopefully) no machining of the knuckle? As far as the caliper, would it be better to keep the original '88 rear caliper and e-brake, or use something like the LT1 rear calipers? the car currently has no e-brake cable assembly, so addapting the stock hardware is not an issue.

Any suggestions for something better than what I'm thinking are welcome, once the plan is finished I'll do a full build up thread with pictures to show how it all worked out.

Mike
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
pm to you.
TD37

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TD37Click Here to visit TD37's HomePageSend a Private Message to TD37Direct Link to This Post
rotorpros.com will drill the rotors for you so you don't have to jump through hoops to keep the Vette pattern. They are gorgeous in cross drilled and slotted too.

http://www.rotorpros.com/index.htm

-Tim

[This message has been edited by TD37 (edited 03-23-2008).]

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
Here is the E-Bay site for those who want to get the rotors that I did is here. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...temZ8005669454QQrdZ1

CALL THEM BEFORE ordering/paying for these so you can get them drilled before shipping WITHOUT the holes grilled for the Vete.

They will drill them (I am told) while making them in their factory for the 5X100 bolt pattern.

Free shipping, silver zinc plating included.

"Zinc Plating: Black or Gold add $30 more, Silver is FREE"

Stop With Us!
Website: www.stopchek.com Phone: 714-720-6413 Hours: M-F 9am-7pm PST
thestackpole

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thestackpoleSend a Private Message to thestackpoleDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I should add that I want to upgrade to the 5 x 4.75 pattern. I understand the larger bearing for the front is much stronger, and I'd like the larger availability of wheels at that pattern. I was not aware that I could get that 5 X 100 pattern drilled without the original 5 X 4.75 though, that certainly eliminates any concerns about weakening the rotor.

So has anyone upgraded the rear hub of an '88 to a 5 X 4.75 patern, without adding a plate and re-drilling?
Fiero redux

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero reduxSend a Private Message to Fiero reduxDirect Link to This Post
I dunno if this would work, but I read someplace that the unit bearing from the front of a S-10 4x4 will bolt into a fiero knuckle, but you'll have to use the outer end of the S-10 4x4 cv joint. I hope you find a solution that works for you. Edited for clarity.

[This message has been edited by Fiero redux (edited 03-23-2008).]

thestackpole

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thestackpoleSend a Private Message to thestackpoleDirect Link to This Post
From what I've seen this is an '84-'87 only option, I believe you replace the knuckle with one from a Pontiac 6000 and bolt the s-10 bearing into it. Has anyone tried boring the 88 rear knuckle out a bit to fit a different hub with the correct spline count and 5 X 4.75 lug spacing? It seems to have enough material for some light machining, maybe even some facing if necesary to correct the offset.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by thestackpole:

So has anyone upgraded the rear hub of an '88 to a 5 X 4.75 patern, without adding a plate and re-drilling?

As far as I know the rear hub on the 88 is the same as the 84-87. The same options exist for both.

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TD37:

rotorpros.com will drill the rotors for you so you don't have to jump through hoops to keep the Vette pattern. They are gorgeous in cross drilled and slotted too.

http://www.rotorpros.com/index.htm

-Tim

I've said it before, but every time I look at your brakes I think the same thing: They're gorgeous!!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock