Starter or solenoid??? by Bnemo
Started on: 03-22-2008 07:43 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Bnemo on 03-23-2008 06:51 PM
Bnemo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BnemoSend a Private Message to BnemoDirect Link to This Post
Hi all....hopefully a simple quick one here...
For the past week or so my 84 SE has been giving just a click when I turn the key the first time..then starting on the second try. Today I went to start it and it will only click. It sounds like the bendix is kicking in but the starter won't turn. Should I replace the whole starter or could I get by with just a new solenoid?? Any thoughts???? Thanx!
Brian
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
The clicking is the solenoid pulling in. That closes the contact to run the starter motor.
Would think that means it's either the solenoid or the motor has gone bad. The bushes in the motor could very well be shot.
Probably better off just getting a replacement starter.
But you might check the battery cables are tight and the nuts on the starter are tight.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 03-22-2008).]

Bnemo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BnemoSend a Private Message to BnemoDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Dodgerunner,
I'll check the connections tomorrow since it's dark and about 30 degrees here, and my garage is full with my GA and my 2 Chrysler TC by Maserati. But for $60 for a new stater and solenoid I think I would sleep better at night knowing my DD will start in the morning..
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
I'm thinking it's possibly a weak battery, if not the cables or connections. Have you tried to jump it when this happens?
Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bnemo:

2 Chrysler TC by Maserati.

Boy you like short run cars..Fieros 5 years TC's 3 years
Bnemo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BnemoSend a Private Message to BnemoDirect Link to This Post
Short runs = more uniqueness
My other vehicle is a 94 Chevy Silverado (no short run there ) with 290,000 on it, no rebuild, and the original tranny!! (good grief...now I just jinxed old whitey...)

No problem with the battery....

[This message has been edited by Bnemo (edited 03-22-2008).]

Dodgerunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Not a short run but not many left around anymore, I'm still the original owner of a 71 Duster in very good condition with no rust.
Hard to do with that vintage.
Bnemo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BnemoSend a Private Message to BnemoDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE:
Success!! spent about 90 minutes in the late afternoon and swapped out the old starter for a replacement and she fired right up. Checked all my connections while I let some penetrating oil help loosen up one of the mounting bolts that was being stubborn. Tightened everything with no success so I continued with the swap... I'll rest easy knowing she'll start int he morning...Thanks guys!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock