Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  turbo kit manny questions on mine (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
turbo kit manny questions on mine by DEMONCHILD
Started on: 03-22-2008 01:57 PM
Replies: 61
Last post by: DEMONCHILD on 03-28-2008 06:46 PM
DEMONCHILD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DEMONCHILDSend a Private Message to DEMONCHILDDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

That appears to be an aftermarket oil pressure sending unit. That fitting looks about right for the oil supply line but not sure why it's on a T fitting. Did you get an oil pressure gauge with the kit?

ya kno this may be to read the oil pressure going to the turbo as it is set up to be oil cooled and the sending unit threads right into the turbo oil lines..
IP: Logged
DEMONCHILD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DEMONCHILDSend a Private Message to DEMONCHILDDirect Link to This Post

DEMONCHILD

515 posts
Member since Jul 2006
i dont plan on using this particular turbo any more im currently looking to see if any larger/newer turbo will work with the existing exhaust parts...

idk how wel a used 2.8 can handle boost but a guy who races ath the local cruises has a original 4cyl motor with only head work and he is running peterbilt turbo on his with i think he said more that 12lbs of boost on stock ecm im not to sure aout al this but all i know is it has beaten turboed, super charged, and nitroused big block muscle cars with ease
and i only paid $100 for all the stuff
SLOWnSTEADY

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post
If you are looking for different turbo i have a Garrett TO4E i would sell for $250 plus shipping... It is rebuilt with about 800 miles or so on it, I bought it for my DOHC but it is much too small... Now hopefuly the below statement(s) don't impact your decision on buying the turbo but i have to be 100% honest....

Originally posted by DEMONCHILD: a guy who races at the local cruises has a original 4cyl motor with only head work and he is running peterbilt turbo on his with i think he said more that 12lbs of boost on stock ecm im not to sure aout al this but all i know is it has beaten turboed, super charged, and nitroused big block muscle cars with ease

BULLSHIT!!! Peterbuilt is a SEMI, if he has a 4-cylinder and is running a peterbuilt semi turbo he would never make boost... It just isnt possible. What kind of car is this? There is no way in hell a stock 4-banger (no matter how much head work was done) running 12psi (which i HIGHLY DOUBT!) would beat a Big Block... or even a SMALL BLOCK for that matter. He is making MAY BE 200WHP (depending on the engine) at maximum boost, which if he is indeed running a Peterbuilt turbo maximum boost would NEVER hit. all that would be doing is constricting the exhaust flow and hurting his performance... I had a very nicely built 4G63T in an AWD talon running 13psi. I had a good $2K in performance parts on that car and i was making abuot 280AWHP. I could beat a TON of small blocks and a few big blocks, but nitrous fed, supercharged etc... not a chance in hell...!! The only reason i even won most of those races is because (no to toot my own horn) i am one hell of a driver and i won most of my races on teh launch...

[This message has been edited by SLOWnSTEADY (edited 03-24-2008).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Yea, he was lying about that turbo... Its a HX40 holset. Stock injectors, stock motor, FMU... its not slow, but its not at all streetable.
SLOWnSTEADY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post
What kind of car/engine is this? honestly slapping a turbo on an otherwise stock motor will only net you like 60HP +/- depending on boost and what engine its on... but with those stock commonents like the FUEL INJECTORS, FUEL PUMP, ECM and such i doubt he is able to run much boost at all before he leans out HORRIBLY!!

I am going to assume it is a DSM because the HX40 is a direct bolt on so... a stock 4G63T on 11psi is about 190HP... with some head work and a bigger turbo he MIGHT be pushing 230HP or so but no more than that.... no chance in hell he is beating a big block unless it is in a 8000lb car... I had an '88 Trans Am with a STOCK 350 truck engine backed by the original T-5 and i spanked an all wheel drive DSM. He had 550cc injectors, B16G turbo, FMIC, and was running 13psi~...

85fiero_fanat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fiero_fanatSend a Private Message to 85fiero_fanatDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't one of the best things to do with the stock 2.8 be replacing the intake, and then worrying about the turbo, because wouldn't the restricting intake restrict how much performance a turbo added?
SLOWnSTEADY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post
An engine is just a big air pump... the more air you can get in and out the power you will make. While the 2.8L intake is far from a GREAT flowing intake it will suffice as you wont ever make much more than 200HP on a stock 2.8L anyways!

85fiero_fanat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fiero_fanatSend a Private Message to 85fiero_fanatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SLOWnSTEADY:

An engine is just a big air pump... the more air you can get in and out the power you will make. While the 2.8L intake is far from a GREAT flowing intake it will suffice as you wont ever make much more than 200HP on a stock 2.8L anyways!

true, I just figured it would take more boost from the turbo to get the air through the intake faster which in turn would cause him to run higher boost for the horsepower he could make with a bit less boost and a better flowing intake.
SLOWnSTEADY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fiero_fanat:

true, I just figured it would take more boost from the turbo to get the air through the intake faster which in turn would cause him to run higher boost for the horsepower he could make with a bit less boost and a better flowing intake.

yes, that is correct... airflow is VERY important!! A better flowing intake can do amazing things espescialy on a turbo vehicle! but again not matter what the 2.8L is just not a good base to start with. You cant polish a turd.... you can try but in the end there will just be pieces of **** everywhere!
85fiero_fanat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fiero_fanatSend a Private Message to 85fiero_fanatDirect Link to This Post

yes, that is correct... airflow is VERY important!! A better flowing intake can do amazing things espescialy on a turbo vehicle! but again not matter what the 2.8L is just not a good base to start with. You cant polish a turd.... you can try but in the end there will just be pieces of **** everywhere!

gotcha. I've heard nothing but bad things about the 2.8 lol. In the future I'll put a 3800 in my car. Can't beat improved mileage, improved performance, and improved life.
SLOWnSTEADY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post
3800SC or 3.4L DOHC are GREAT choices for a nice powerful swap... the DOHC is a VERY simple swap! and they are rated about the same as the 3800SC i believe... DOHC is 200-210 and i think the 3800SC is like 230 or so...? not 100% sure on that...

the DOHC is pretty much a direct bolt in if you have a 2.8L car.

PFF
System Bot
85fiero_fanat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fiero_fanatSend a Private Message to 85fiero_fanatDirect Link to This Post

3800SC or 3.4L DOHC are GREAT choices for a nice powerful swap... the DOHC is a VERY simple swap! and they are rated about the same as the 3800SC i believe... DOHC is 200-210 and i think the 3800SC is like 230 or so...? not 100% sure on that...

the DOHC is pretty much a direct bolt in if you have a 2.8L car.

Yeah, I have a 2.8l, but it's an auto, so when I swap engines, I'm going to probably drop a G6 6-speed in it too.
DEMONCHILD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DEMONCHILDSend a Private Message to DEMONCHILDDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Yea, he was lying about that turbo... Its a HX40 holset. Stock injectors, stock motor, FMU... its not slow, but its not at all streetable.

u kno him?
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
A little, I see him up at toms all the time. He knows me, just ask him about the 3800SC automatic swap he raced last year.
Firefighter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefighterSend a Private Message to FirefighterDirect Link to This Post
Lots of long advice here. Two short notes - that turbo looks like it was nuked and don't experiment with any chip which you believe tends to the LEAN side. Ed

------------------

Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DEMONCHILD:

This is NOT an aftermarket pressure sending unit. It's a (probably normally open) pressure switch made by a company called HOBB's. If you take the rubber plug out of the top of it you'll see a hex hole. You can use and allen key in it to adjust what pressure the switch will turn on at. A lot of people use them on turbo setups for turning on extra injectors at a certain boost, or making electrical boost controllers with.
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DEMONCHILD:

i dont plan on using this particular turbo any more im currently looking to see if any larger/newer turbo will work with the existing exhaust parts...

idk how wel a used 2.8 can handle boost but a guy who races ath the local cruises has a original 4cyl motor with only head work and he is running peterbilt turbo on his with i think he said more that 12lbs of boost on stock ecm im not to sure aout al this but all i know is it has beaten turboed, super charged, and nitroused big block muscle cars with ease
and i only paid $100 for all the stuff

I didn't see your old turbo until today. It's too small for the 2.8L and I have used one on a 2.8 before to know it for sure. The turbo you have is from a Chrysler car and you can easily upgrade by finding one of the T3 models they used that will bolt to the same exhaust flange that you already have. The downside is the turbine housing only comes in a .48 size limiting your power potential. The upside is I ran as high as 12 psi with it on a 2.8 that I'm sure would have beat my TPI Z28 while it was stock.

The turbo you have was installed on the 87 up Lebaron LTC model I believe and maybe a few other late model Chrysler cars. The T3 model can be found easily on ebay. Although you are limited to one Chrysler specific turbine housing, you can upgrade the compressor side to something as popular as the .60 compressor used on the Mustang 2.3L SVO, for better efficiency.
DEMONCHILD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DEMONCHILDSend a Private Message to DEMONCHILDDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

I didn't see your old turbo until today. It's too small for the 2.8L and I have used one on a 2.8 before to know it for sure. The turbo you have is from a Chrysler car and you can easily upgrade by finding one of the T3 models they used that will bolt to the same exhaust flange that you already have. The downside is the turbine housing only comes in a .48 size limiting your power potential. The upside is I ran as high as 12 psi with it on a 2.8 that I'm sure would have beat my TPI Z28 while it was stock.

The turbo you have was installed on the 87 up Lebaron LTC model I believe and maybe a few other late model Chrysler cars. The T3 model can be found easily on ebay. Although you are limited to one Chrysler specific turbine housing, you can upgrade the compressor side to something as popular as the .60 compressor used on the Mustang 2.3L SVO, for better efficiency.

why does it say mitsubishi? interchangeable? i may look into the chrysler t3 thats more the size i want
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 04:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
They are interchangeable on the cars, the mounting flanges are the same and specific for Chrysler cars parts between the turbos are not interchangeable. The same scenario exists somewhat with the old turbo Ford Thunderbird where the earlier models used a T3 and the later models the smaller IHI turbo.
DEMONCHILD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DEMONCHILDSend a Private Message to DEMONCHILDDirect Link to This Post
ok cool ... so are the chrysler turbos water or oil cooled?
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
Both
PFF
System Bot
DEMONCHILD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DEMONCHILDSend a Private Message to DEMONCHILDDirect Link to This Post
they dont have any that are one or the other?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock