Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Will A G6 6 speed bolt up to the 2.8 V6?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Will A G6 6 speed bolt up to the 2.8 V6? by blkpearl
Started on: 03-20-2008 10:42 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: tjm4fun on 03-21-2008 04:08 PM
blkpearl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blkpearlClick Here to visit blkpearl's HomePageSend a Private Message to blkpearlDirect Link to This Post
I'm in a pinch fella's and need serious help. My 88 GT Getrag has snapped the throwout bearing or Fork and the car is on the side of the road stuck in gear. Clutch is not engage it's jello/ no resistance. If I don't move the car in a day or two it will be towed In wherever land San Diego.

I am planing on getting it moved to my place Tomorrow on friday the 21'st. And then do a Clutch on the weekend. But my plan is to do a bigger engine swap later this year and thought it would make more sense to just go with the G6 if it would bolt up. it will cost not much more than all the clutch and tranny parts I am going to need to buy.

So that is why I am asking, wish me luck because if it's towed I will lose her probably forever due to cost.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
yes but no.

better?

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 03-21-2008).]

blkpearl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blkpearlClick Here to visit blkpearl's HomePageSend a Private Message to blkpearlDirect Link to This Post
I did'nt think so. So does that mean it needs an adapter plate only. Or does it also need different tranny mounts with that also?
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbDirect Link to This Post
did you check if the cables are still on the tranny ?the ends wear out and the cable pops off at the tranny and you either get stuck in gear or in neutral .here is an easy fix : clean the ball stud post with steel wool .clean the cable end with solvent and rinse and let dry .wrap the ball stud with cellophane (saran wrap or whatever you yanks call it).then fill the opening in the cable end with 5 minute epoxy and shove it back on the ball stud .in ten minutes you are as good as new .i doubt if you have toasted a shift fork unless you car has around 200,000 miles on it .these trannys last a long time .
RideZiLightning

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
I don't know why he said no. Maybe because you just need to do your research bro

It will bolt up, same bolt pattern, but there are a million other things you need to do for it to work. Which cost some serious cash
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
If you use SEARCH, you will find a number of threads on installing the 6 speed. 1 of them is by Archie and he goes into detail on the install. He also sells a kit with the things you'll need to make the 6 speed work. My impression is that it is a LOT of work and total cost is NOT as cheap as the price of the 6 speed alone would lead you to believe. If you want a stronger trans than the getrag, use the stock muncie 4 speed.
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
It's not proven that the 4spd is any stronger
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 06:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
The answer is yes. The 6 speed will bolt to the 2.8. Archie has a kit or you can do it yourself.

Jack

------------------
If you can not run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!

myersports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for myersportsClick Here to visit myersports's HomePageSend a Private Message to myersportsDirect Link to This Post
I have looked into this swap for the lsX engines and found it to be very expensive for the parts to do it. The transmissions are really not that expensive and more than likely be eaiser to get later down the road, the getrags are getting harder to find.
I would assume that alot of our common swaps bolt right up to that tranny. But the question is the half shafts needed and mounts and such. A 3.8 s/c 3800 and a 6 speed swap would be a great combo, for cost it is alot cheaper than the ls V-8's.
Has anyone out there done the 2.8 and 6 speed swap? If they have a updated on the performance and challenges would be great.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
Ditkaphile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DitkaphileSend a Private Message to DitkaphileDirect Link to This Post
There was a Getrag 5-speed on ebay yesterday, brand new still in the crate. Probably still there.
PFF
System Bot
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ditkaphile:

There was a Getrag 5-speed on ebay yesterday, brand new still in the crate. Probably still there.

I believe that this the link that you are referring to.

Good Luck

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
you don;t really need a clutch to get the car home, as long as the tranny is shiftable.
with the car off, put it in neutral, start it and warm up the motor.
shut the motor off, put it in first and start it, with a good battery it should kick off and go. after you are rolling match the gas so you are not accellerating or decellerating and it should shift right out of 1st, let the rpms drop while pulling into 2nd and it shoudl just slip right in. same deal for 3rd and 4th.for braking, at a light or such same as an upshift, but let it go to neutral and use the brakes to stop. do the same trick of startign in 1st to get going. with some care you can drive a long way, even in rushhour traffic like that! (don;t ask me how I know this), but best to wait for low traffic times. save the tow cost for parts.

also be sure you just didn;t run out for fluid in the clutch hydraulic system. that sounds like it might be your problem, and you can fill and bleed it on the side of the road. if the piston is not moving on the slave end when someone steps on the clutch, you have a hydraulic problem not a tranny problem.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock