2.8 Stoker kit by oliver2245
Started on: 03-18-2008 08:16 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: project34 on 03-23-2008 06:57 PM
oliver2245

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2008 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oliver2245Click Here to visit oliver2245's HomePageSend a Private Message to oliver2245Direct Link to This Post
I was a stoker kit on ebay for a 2.8 is it worth the time and money and what hp can be gained. I have 88 GT.
Also what mods will need to be made.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2008 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Is that an ARI stroker kit? It will turn your 2.8 into a 3.1
http://www.engine-parts.com/GMV6/gm28stroker.html
They sell you the right parts to stroke the engine. Since yours is an 88 you can reuse all the other parts from your engine, if they are in good condition, except you will need new seals, rings, and bearings. I would also throw in new cam, push rods, lifters, rockers, valves, oil pump, water pump and timing chain with gears. You basicaly rebuild the entire engine while you are at it, so you might as well use good parts.
You don't gain a lot of HP from the stroker kit, what do do gain is torque. To get any real gains involves porting and polishing the heads and using the right parts to build them up. You also can get rid of the restrictive stock intake and switch to a carbed intake or use the truleo intake. You need the right cam selection and to at least port the exhaust manifolds for better flow. The best part of a stroker engine is that it still looks stock but performs beter than the stock engine.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 03-18-2008).]

oliver2245

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2008 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oliver2245Click Here to visit oliver2245's HomePageSend a Private Message to oliver2245Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the info lots to think about.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2008 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
The only thing it takes to make a 3.1 stroker out of your Fiero engine is a set of 90-95 Pontiac Transport pistons pressed onto your existing rods and a 3.1 crank from any 3.1 engine.

Save the extra hundreds rather than spending it on ARI-inflation and instead invest it in a good Trueleo intake and/or headers.

Your 88GT engine is already neutrally balanced, so you can use the same flywheel.

[This message has been edited by KurtAKX (edited 03-18-2008).]

iamtylerdurden

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2008 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iamtylerdurdenSend a Private Message to iamtylerdurdenDirect Link to This Post
how do the fiero store 9.5 forged probe pistons compare to some of the other ones out there (like the one in the ARI kit)?
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
the "stroker" kit is not a bad thing - but - it is basicly rebuilding the motor, and using a 3.1/3.4 crank.
there is a shortcut: a 3.1 shortblock. this is what the stroker kits re-creates. and, there is the next step: 3.4 which is not only stroked, but bored as well.
is is basicly 20 HP from one to the next.
newer 3.1 & 3.4 blocks have provisions for some extras, like a knock sensor & crank position sensor, so you can also upgrade the engine computer to the newer 7730 - which is a more flexable ECM.

the only way I would siggest doing the stroker kit over just buying a 3.1 or 3.4 is if you get the parts CHEAP. the parts needed are: 3.1/3.4 crank, 3.1 Iron head pistons (like from a 94 3.1 camaro), and a '88 Fiero Flywheel (if you dont have an 88). on "the other" fiero forum, there is someone selling the crank & pistons - but the pistons are .030 oversized - so you will need to get you block bored to use. of course - if you have over 60k miles on your block - you will want to get it bored anyways.

anyways - the "easy button" is: buy a 3.4 shortblock. get your heads re-done & ported. if you have a 88 - you can use your existing flywheel - if 85-87 - you need a 88 flywheel.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I have to agree. I went through the trouble of boring/stroking my 2.8 to 3.2 liters. If I could do it over again, I'd just buy a 3.4 crate motor and drop the Fiero intake on it. It's a lot less hassle, and not much more money. Plus you get a few extra cubic inches, and a better engine oiling system.
oliver2245

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oliver2245Click Here to visit oliver2245's HomePageSend a Private Message to oliver2245Direct Link to This Post
How much does a good used 3.4 go for these days. what was the last year they were made.
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by oliver2245:

what was the last year they were made.

The engines you've alluded to that you can easily swap into a V6 Fiero (with some relatively minor changes) were available in 1993 through 1995 Camaros and Firebirds with pushrod 3.4L engines.

However, pushrod 3.4L engines also are available as crate engines.
oliver2245

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oliver2245Click Here to visit oliver2245's HomePageSend a Private Message to oliver2245Direct Link to This Post
The 3.4 I'm told is an E type roller cam with aluminum heads from 95 to 96 is that correct?
Will the intake fit as well as the rest of the main parts?
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oliver2245:

Will the intake fit as well as the rest of the main parts?

Yes, the 3400 (roller cam) engine will accept the 2.8l iron heads, intake and the rest of the main parts. This engine utilizes an aluminum oil pan as well, which is a plus.

Now heres the thing. If you use the 3400 pistons, you will be left with a very low compression ratio of near 7.2:1. The trick to this is using the second gen, 3.4 DOHC pistons. If I remember corectly, this will give you a CR of 9.5:1, and no other modifications are necessary. Also, there was no GM engine made with this combination (roller cam with iron heads), so custom made pushrods will need to be made to a length of 5.85".

If you do a search, you will find alot of info about this swap as it has been done multiple times
PFF
System Bot
LarryB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryBSend a Private Message to LarryBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

The engines you've alluded to that you can easily swap into a V6 Fiero (with some relatively minor changes) were available in 1993 through 1995 Camaros and Firebirds with pushrod 3.4L engines.

However, pushrod 3.4L engines also are available as crate engines.

I wonder if anyone can comment on whether this blurb from paceperformance.com is accurate or not, it's the first I've heard of it but it has also been a while since I've spoken to anyone who has done an upgrade using a 3.4 crate engine.

"Many people have asked if this engine can be swapped into Fieros, and the answer is no. The block casting was revised a few years ago, and there is no longer enough material to drill and tap to mount the starter on the opposite side of the block as is required for Fiero usage."
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LarryB:

I wonder if anyone can comment on whether this blurb from paceperformance.com is accurate or not, it's the first I've heard of it but it has also been a while since I've spoken to anyone who has done an upgrade using a 3.4 crate engine.

"Many people have asked if this engine can be swapped into Fieros, and the answer is no. The block casting was revised a few years ago, and there is no longer enough material to drill and tap to mount the starter on the opposite side of the block as is required for Fiero usage."

I know a few who have used the 3.4L crate engines before, and I kind of doubt GM would revise a casting on just the crate engine. I could see them doing it on a production engine, But the 3.4 hasn't been used in a production car since 1995 and the crate engine application is for the old trucks only.

If GM revised the block, They did not change the part number. The only reason I could see them revising the block would be for the boss required for the manual trans in the truck. But the crate engine still says it does not have the boss on the block.
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by LarryB:

I don't dispute the fact they've said it, but that just seems a very odd thing for Pace Performance to assert on their website. I've never heard of a similar caution being voiced by any other suppliers of 3.4L crate engines.

I'd be inclined to take my business elsewhere for a 3.4L crate engine because whether or not Pace Performance is right about not being able to use their 3.4L engines in a Fiero, the comments from their website don't inspire confidence, do they? In short, if Pace believes their 3.4L engines are no good for Fieros, then I'd recommend simply taking their word for it, and buying one from somebody else!

Good luck with your 3.4L project!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock