Started on: 03-15-2008 08:24 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: Austrian Import on 03-22-2008 08:26 PM
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2008 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
The inlet and outlets of my Borla setup is really funky. The openings into the muffler body are the same diameter as the rest of the system. But to attach the pipes to the muffler it appears they swaged the pipe down to fit it inside muffler opening. It looks to me like the inlet can't be more than 1 1/2" ID.

I'd like to bring the size up to 2 1/4" ID, at least on the inlet side. However, trying to grind out the old weld in such an awkward place (Stainless - ugh) is going to be a ***** .

If I grind away the weld here:

Will the muffler pull apart? Or is it welded elsewhere? Anyone ever take a Borla apart? It sure would make the cleanup easier.

Neil

[This message has been edited by sspeedstreet (edited 03-17-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2008 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
Nobody can give me some help here?
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2008 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
Well then, on with the monologue.

After considerable cutting I have the two ends apart. Unlike the diagram above, this is the interior layout of the Fiero Borla (The black dots on the pipes represent perforated sections):

The inlet pipe going into the "T" is only 1.75" OD! The straight outlet pipes are 2.00" OD, but neck down to 1.75" OD after exiting the case.

I have some left over 2.00" and 2.25" stainless from the rest of the system. I'm going to replace the whole interior plumbing with that.

I'll post some pictures as I go.

[This message has been edited by sspeedstreet (edited 03-17-2008).]

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2008 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

sspeedstreet

2306 posts
Member since Dec 2002
Proposed:

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2008 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Is this going on your DOHC? The stock downpipe is 2.5"..
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2008 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't recommend messing with the borla setup too much. Borla unlike other companies actually dyno tunes their mufflers. Bigger diameter is not always better. Notice that on many cars Borla gets more hp out of an engine with a 2" piping, where others make less power with 2.5". Bigger pipes only make things louder, and can decrease the flow rate. It's not backpressure people want, it's the highest possible flow rate within the optimum rpm band.

Either way, experimentation is always good. Remember though, there is a reason Borla decided on the sizes for the pipes it did. Try calling Borla too. See if you can get the technician to explain/recommend a good size. If you're using it for a non Fiero engine, there might be a better fit they could recommend.
When I was shopping for a Cat-back system for my Mazda I talked to Borla technicians (not just sales reps) and the explained everything in total detail to me. It's part of the reason I went with them. They have great customer service and a lifetime warranty.

You can also call Magnaflow to cross reference their advice. Their R&D is great as well.
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2008 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
I gave that a lot of thought before I got into the cutting. I know that bigger is not necessarily better, but this thing necked down to as little as 1.50" ID at the inlet. It wouldn't surprise me if this was set up for a Duke, as small as it was inside. So, I've decided to do $200.00 worth of modifications to it. After I get done, it should look something like this:

OK, I'm gonna buy a Spintec.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

I wouldn't recommend messing with the borla setup too much. Borla unlike other companies actually dyno tunes their mufflers. Bigger diameter is not always better. Notice that on many cars Borla gets more hp out of an engine with a 2" piping, where others make less power with 2.5". Bigger pipes only make things louder, and can decrease the flow rate. It's not backpressure people want, it's the highest possible flow rate within the optimum rpm band.

A restricted pipe size necessarily decreases flow in this situation. Ideally the muffler would just not be there, the pipes would flow straight through remaining 2 1/2" from the downpipe without obstructions. This would give maximum flow. Every obstruction the muffler creates reduces flow. The last thing you want is your 2 1/2" exhaust system to have to pass through a 1 1/2" pipe at one point.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Either way, experimentation is always good. Remember though, there is a reason Borla decided on the sizes for the pipes it did. Try calling Borla too. See if you can get the technician to explain/recommend a good size. If you're using it for a non Fiero engine, there might be a better fit they could recommend.
When I was shopping for a Cat-back system for my Mazda I talked to Borla technicians (not just sales reps) and the explained everything in total detail to me. It's part of the reason I went with them. They have great customer service and a lifetime warranty.

You can also call Magnaflow to cross reference their advice. Their R&D is great as well.

while that maybe true - I would assume their testing is done with a stock 2.8 Fiero. I would expect a 3.4 TDC would benifit from this.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Could you get a Borla muffler (maybe from the Pro-XS line) that's rated for the flow numbers required for a 3.4?

Does Borla make a muffler for the Lumina? You could use that as a guide which muffler to use for the Fiero.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Maybe something like that inside the muffler would help.

Here's one of the highest hp cat-back systems for a Mazdaspeed6
http://www.cp-e.com/2106.html

I want to bring special attention to the bottom pic. I think a gentle split like that would help with the flow numbers.

From the CP-E website:

[...]
We also worked very hard to eek out as much power from this kit as possible by removing every unnecessary restriction in the factory exhaust. Firstly, we used only straight through mufflers (unlike the stock chambered mufflers), so the resulting power penalty is negligible. We also massaged the transition from the single to dual pipes. Anytime you make exhaust gas change direction, like you do in a bend, you create unwanted backpressure. So we put forth a great effort to reduce the abrupt transition at the single to dual split on the factory exhaust. Instead of a “T” like the factory system has, our cat back creates a very gentle, proper “Y” transition, which will substantially increase exhaust flow over stock.
[...]

PFF
System Bot
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Could you get a Borla muffler (maybe from the Pro-XS line) that's rated for the flow numbers required for a 3.4?

Does Borla make a muffler for the Lumina? You could use that as a guide which muffler to use for the Fiero.

There are like four cross-flow mufflers available that can fit in a Fiero at all from any manufacturer I'm aware of. There's a Borla, a Flowmaster, a Spintech, and a Magnaflow. The Borla and Magnaflow are pretty much the same; straight through with fiberglass packing. The Flowmaster is a 40-series chambered/baffled muffler and the Spintech is a spiral-baffled muffler.
The Lumina uses dual single-inlet single-outlet mufflers.
fieroparts.com

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 185
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comDirect Link to This Post
I would not mess with it.

I will tell you that system is one of the really bad systems we rejected, we ended up sending them back to Borla. The not so bad ones we sold as seconds at 40% off. The rest were later sold to Bob for $100.00 - $150.00 each, by Borla.

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroparts.com:

I would not mess with it.

I will tell you that system is one of the really bad systems we rejected, we ended up sending them back to Borla. The not so bad ones we sold as seconds at 40% off. The rest were later sold to Bob for $100.00 - $150.00 each, by Borla.

I bought it from you a couple of years ago . . . . .
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

There are like four cross-flow mufflers available that can fit in a Fiero at all from any manufacturer I'm aware of. There's a Borla, a Flowmaster, a Spintech, and a Magnaflow. The Borla and Magnaflow are pretty much the same; straight through with fiberglass packing. The Flowmaster is a 40-series chambered/baffled muffler and the Spintech is a spiral-baffled muffler.
The Lumina uses dual single-inlet single-outlet mufflers.

Almost correct: Both Borla and Magnaflow refuse to use Fiberglass because it disintegrates over time. (chemical reaction with exhaust gasses). They both use steel wool spun around the straight through pipes. (part of the reason they are much more expensive than ricer mufflers) You're right, they are pretty much the same though. The only difference I could find is: Magnaflow is made from a heavier gauge metal, than Borla, which is - I think - what causes Magnaflow to be bass-ier than Borla when punching the throttle.

Spiral baffles, sounds cool. I would love to see a picture of the inside of that setup.

So the Lumina has a dual pipe setup then? or are the two mufflers in series?

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 03-19-2008).]

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Both Borla and Magnaflow refuse to use Fiberglass because it disintegrates over time.

This Borla had the SS packing around the pipes, but also had fiberglass mat between the SS packing and the case.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sspeedstreet:

This Borla had the SS packing around the pipes, but also had fiberglass mat between the SS packing and the case.

Interesting.. That sux. Wonder if they changed from using fiberglass in recent years, or the sales reps lied to me. Good to know though. Thanks for posting. Could you post pictures of the inside? I really want to see now what the Borla muffler actually looks like on the inside now. Both Borla and Magnaflow's promo shots conveniently didn't show the fiberglass, IIRC.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2008 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

So the Lumina has a dual pipe setup then? or are the two mufflers in series?

Dual pipes.
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Interesting.. That sux. Wonder if they changed from using fiberglass in recent years, or the sales reps lied to me. Good to know though. Thanks for posting. Could you post pictures of the inside? I really want to see now what the Borla muffler actually looks like on the inside now. Both Borla and Magnaflow's promo shots conveniently didn't show the fiberglass, IIRC.

DEMONCHILD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DEMONCHILDSend a Private Message to DEMONCHILDDirect Link to This Post
im thinking of changing my exhaust it currently has full flowmaster kit from heads on back but its a single system i want true duals with cherrybombs and 90* downs right after em like the old hotrods lol i had a 2.8 s10 i did this on and it sounded surprisingly deap and throaty especially when reved would this be better for a turboed 2.8 that my flowmaster kit currently on the car?
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sspeedstreet:

Thanks for the pics. That muffler is tiny!!

The Borla I had on my Mazda was 19" long (basically the longest that would fit into the mounting location) and that was for a regular KLDE 170hp Mazda engine. I can see how this muffler would be way too small for a TDC.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock