2.8 vibration question by 355Fiero
Started on: 03-15-2008 01:59 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: 355Fiero on 03-15-2008 03:22 PM
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2008 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
I have taken a 1985 Camaro LB8 2.8 V6 and swapped it into my '86 Fiero. I followed all the instructions and great threads about the swap. I did the same swap as if the 2.8 was a 3.4 rear wheel drive swap.

I started the car and it idles OK with a very slight vibration but when I rev it up to around 2500-2800, the vibration is incredible. So much so that I am concenred if I drive it, I will wipe out the main bearings. Reving through that range the vibration reduces back down again considerably back to about the idle vibration but it is still there.

I replaced the Flywheel with an '88 Fiero flywheel and kept the pressure plate from the '86 Fiero engine as it was pretty new. I have not finalized the timing yet either. I got it pretty close to get it going but have not fully timed it yet. I wouldn't think that the timing being a degree or so out would cause this kind of vibration though would it? I have never had anything like this with any of my other engine builds and timing before.

Does anyone know if the '85 Camaro 2.8 is internally balanced or externally balanced?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Don
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blue Shift

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2008 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post
I think you're in trouble. An 85 Camaro 2.8 is external balance, no?
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2008 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Blue Shift;

That was my same thought after starting the engine up and feeling the vibration. I beleive I have made a terrible assumption that RWD engines were all internally balanced rather than the year making a difference.

I hope I have not smoked my bearings and I guess I'll be dropping the cradle again tonight...... Damn.

Thanks
Don

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock