Started on: 03-13-2008 06:00 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: Saxman on 03-16-2008 01:37 PM
Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
I am charging the battery some more right now - and disconnected it from the car.

My 88 Formula is back together after putting in another engine. I tried to start it earlier this afternoon but it just clicked, so I put the charger on it for a few hours.

I just went out to try it again (before the battery hit full-charge) just to turn the engine over a few times to get the oil flowing after all these years and just got a strong engagement from the starter, then the single click again - and the faint smell of smoke. Not like burning plastic, but something else, like fluid or something.

The marker lights and trunk lights all work fine, so I disconnected the battery and set it to a slow charge in hopes that low voltage and grease on a wire are the culprits.

Any other things I should check before trying her again or do you guys think that the low battery is still the prob. Perhaps the smell is from removing and reinstalling everything over the last month?

If there is a short - any place you recommend I check first?

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Saxman you didn't put the starter back on the engine without getting it all checked over did you? Tell me you didn't. Make sure all of the ground connections , and positive connections are good. one loose or not making contact, (dirty), and she No Trabaho.
Joe
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I would check the ground wire to your block and make sure it not getting hot.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

Saxman you didn't put the starter back on the engine without getting it all checked over did you? Tell me you didn't. Make sure all of the ground connections , and positive connections are good. one loose or not making contact, (dirty), and she No Trabaho.
Joe

I just left the starter on the 87 block. I never pulled it off. I guess I should have since it has been sitting for a few years. Geez. We'll see what happens when the battery is fully charged.

Thanks Jake. I'll check that new ground wire I just added today while the battery is connected. The old one had broken apart.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
I'm going out now to try her again if hte battery is fully charged.

Now that I think about it, the smell reminds me of burning copper. Hmm - I have the feeling I'll be reaching up in there to pull that starter! Dohh!!

It looked so damn clean...
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
There are two wires on the starter, make sure that when you turn the key there is 12 volts to the small wire connection. That would be the start signal for the starter to engage and spin.
Joe
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

There are two wires on the starter, make sure that when you turn the key there is 12 volts to the small wire connection. That would be the start signal for the starter to engage and spin.
Joe

Will do.

Say, the two small bolts that stick out of the back end of the starter are grounded, right? I added a small heat shield using one of those small bolts and the stock shield bolt.
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Saxman, just for your info....my son had an 86 SE V6 that blew the clutch. Up until that point, the starter had worked fine. The car sat for about 6 months, until I could get to the clutch. Put it all together, hit the starter...and nothing. Took it over to a parts store, and had them check it out...and it was bad. I'd pull the starter, and have it checked...if it's been sitting for a couple of years, it could very well be your problem.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2008 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Yeah - I'm going to pull it.

The battery didn't finish charging last night, so I'll plug it back in today - just in case.

I bet you are right...
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2008 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Saxman:

Yeah - I'm going to pull it.

The battery didn't finish charging last night, so I'll plug it back in today - just in case.

I bet you are right...

If ya was a Texas fella I would give you one of the spares I have in the shop. Merry-Land is a long way for a freebie. I think I gave it away come to think about it.Someone in need. If you have a spare from the other engine, take it to a strarter/ altenator rebuild shop, and have them go threw it . They only charge about $45.00 here, and you get your starter back like new, not someone elses "woes". I never put a Auto-Zone starter in one of my cars.
Joe Crawford
Texas
Joe
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2008 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
I just picked up a remanufactured starter in case the extra I have doesn't work. We'll see tomorrow.

I'm too damn impatient to wait for mine to be rebuilt...

[This message has been edited by Saxman (edited 03-14-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2008 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
So what's the story Sax ... any Joy this morning??

Rich
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2008 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
check the water in the batt. I am thinking a cell may have colapsed(sp)
also look for a "cooked wire(s)"
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2008 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

check the water in the batt. I am thinking a cell may have colapsed(sp)
also look for a "cooked wire(s)"

I still think it is the starter. I tried jump starting it and it still did not engage. The bendix doesn't even move.

I think I'll have time to put the new one in tonight.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2008 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioDirect Link to This Post
I have to disagree on the Autozone starter (although I've only had it a few months.) I put this baby in and it cranks like an impact wrench -- zip.

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2008 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

I have to disagree on the Autozone starter (although I've only had it a few months.) I put this baby in and it cranks like an impact wrench -- zip.

Hey they will do the job in a pinch. I, myself, prefer to get my starter or altenator repaired. When they come in for the exchange at all of the parts houses, they just repair the problem only, clean it up and box it up for the next guy. A rebuilder replaces all the working parts bendix, solinoid ,brushes and both end bushings. They also turn the armature flat so the brushes sit square. This isnt a flame war on A-Zone. I have lots of their replacement parts in and on my car.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2008 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Mine came with a lifetime warranty - and since I am getting good at pulling these things off, the reman starter will do.

Good points, Joseph, about the complete rebuild. If I had planned this out in advance (and had some patience), I would have gone that route.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2008 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
All's good. The new one is on and she fired right up. The old one wouldn't move when I hooked it directly to a battery, so case closed!
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2008 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Is this the cancer/rust car starting for the first time?
Joe
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2008 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Is this the cancer/rust car starting for the first time?
Joe

Yup - she is not the Por-15-mobile! This new cradle isn't going to rust - for sure!

I treated the wheel-wells and anything else I could reach under there.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2008 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
See //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/087543.html for the rest of the story...
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock