TPI wiring question (anti-theft wire) by SAFASTRO
Started on: 03-12-2008 02:03 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Genopsyde on 03-15-2008 01:13 PM
SAFASTRO

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2008 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTRODirect Link to This Post
I have a friend that has a 350 swap installed in his 87 Fiero, and is stuck on one thing.
He says there is a wire for the anti-theft device that is stopping the thing from firing. Is there a bypass for this, or what should he connect this wire to?
Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
Order your Official Pennock's Forum decals in this thread. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040445.html

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
350 V8 Conversion

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hatchetrider84

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2008 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hatchetrider84Click Here to visit hatchetrider84's HomePageSend a Private Message to hatchetrider84Direct Link to This Post
what make/year is the 350 out of?
SAFASTRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2008 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTRODirect Link to This Post
I believe its from a 92 Camaro........I found out there is a VATS bypass.........does anyone know the schematics on how to make one???

------------------
Order your Official Pennock's Forum decals in this thread. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040445.html

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
350 V8 Conversion

Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Chip the computer, that's the best solution IMO. Ask Darthfiero, he can most likley do it for you. Either that, or use the VATS bypass module.
SAFASTRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2008 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTRODirect Link to This Post
Is there a 7730 ecm without VATS??

------------------

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
350 V8 Conversion

Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2008 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
here is a paste from another site on how to do the bypass...

One of the more common problems with the VATS security systems in the third generation f-bodies is caused by a simple bad connection in the ignition cylinder. The problems start when the wires leading from the contacts in the cylinder to the VATS module develop an intermittent contact or a complete break. This can cause sudden failure to crank, either intermittently or permanently. Due to the nature of the system, manual transmission cars can t even be push started.

DIAGNOSIS:
The first step is to check the resistance of the chip in the key with a multimeter. Write this value down, you ll be needing it later. Next, remove the panel under the dash and look for a pair of yellow wires coming from the steering column and leading to a connector a short distance away. Unplug the connector and with the key in the ignition, measure the resistance at the wires leading from the steering column. The reading should match that of the chip in your key. While the reading might match while the key is in the off position, it will probably change when the key is turned forward. If this happens, the problem is in the ignition cylinder or the wires leading to it. At this point there are two options: Buy a new ignition cylinder and for alot of money or bypass the system for less than a dollar.

BYPASS:
To bypass the system you ll need to buy a resistor with a value matching that of your keys chip at any local electronics store. The easiest way to install this resistor is to cut the wires leading into the column about a foot from the connector. Take this section of wire, strip the ends and solder the resistor in place. Take this section of wire and resistor and simply plug back into the connector under the dash. The VATS module is now fooled into thinking that there is always the correct key in the ignition. Although this does render the security benefits of the VATS system useless, if increased security is desired, the resistor can simply be unplugged, leaving the car disabled until it is reinstalled.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think VATS was introduced in the 1989 model year so an ecm from 87 or 88 should do the trick.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2008 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SAFASTRO:

Is there a 7730 ecm without VATS??

The 305 chips for the 7730 came from factory with the VATS function turned off. If you install one of the 305 chips the car will start and run, but will not be optimized. However, it will allow you to drive and test everything else out.

If you have a chip burned (which I highly recommend) then a simple unclick of a box will disable VATS on the 350 bins/chips and there will be no need to do anything from a wiring standpoint (I do not even have the VATS wire in the harness).
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2008 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

fieroguru

12112 posts
Member since Aug 2003

Originally posted by Genopsyde:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think VATS was introduced in the 1989 model year so an ecm from 87 or 88 should do the trick.

VATS existed in 1986 (had it on my 86 Vette) and the 7730 ecm was used for the Speed Density TPI applications from 91-92. The earlier years of TPI used a MAF setup with a different ecm.
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2008 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

VATS existed in 1986 (had it on my 86 Vette) and the 7730 ecm was used for the Speed Density TPI applications from 91-92. The earlier years of TPI used a MAF setup with a different ecm.

wow, i didn't know it went that far back. didn't think of the maf/speed density thing either. good call.

you can get a chip from pcmforless, but mail order chips are never perfect, dyno tunes and self burning is the best way.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock