YA 87-88 Headlight Motor Repair Thread by Blue Shift
Started on: 03-09-2008 03:53 AM
Replies: 0
Last post by: Blue Shift on 03-09-2008 03:53 AM
Blue Shift

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2008 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post
Late model Fiero become a one eyed wonder? Most of the time, the fix is relatively simple and straight forward.

Remove the headlight motor assembly from the car, and disassemble. Remove the shaft and nylon gear carefully, and push the gear and shaft apart to open it:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Clean out the waxy crap that has no doubt turned into powder by now. It's this material that causes the nylon gear to turn the shaft, which in turn operates the arm that lifts the headlights. It's designed to give way and prevent stripping of the gear(s), but unfortunately, it also gives way and prevents your headlights from working in time. If your nylon gear is trashed, this isn't going to fix it. You can obtain an upgraded hard anodized aluminum one from Rodney Dickman: http://www.rodneydickman.co...oHeadLightGears.html it's much stronger than the original. You will need to obtain 3 of the correct sized bushings to insert into your nylon, or aftermarket aluminum gear. I machined mine from Delrin stock at a buddies shop. The dimensions I arrived at were .460" long by .480" diameter for a snug fit. It turns out Rodney sells the exact same thing, also made of Delrin if you don't have machining capabilities. Buy the gaskets as well while you're at it, the parts are cheap.

Now install the bushings, and push the assembly back together. Grease liberally, Reassemble, and reinstall:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Should be good as new! This completes yet another mini-tutorial on late model headlight repair. It's cheap and easy, so don't be left in the dark!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock