Clutch does not disengaged by falcon_ca
Started on: 03-08-2008 10:15 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Steven Snyder on 03-14-2008 11:05 PM
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

Here is the story:

This is a FWD Cadillac Cimarron Getrag H282 Transmission freshly installed in my 88 Formula.
I am redoing a lot of things on the engine, transmission and suspension.

On the transmission, I installed a new Stage 1 clutch, Rodney's FWD conversion Kit and Ultimate Getrag Shift Kit.

The is no air in the clutch hydraulic system.

When I press the clutch pedal, the "fork arm" on the transmission travels only about half an inch and the clutch does not disengaged.

I kept the FWD clutch fork but I installed the RWD fork arm. There is about half an inch of free moving of the fork arm when I remove the slave cylinder.

What have I done wrong ?

The engine is not running yet, I am doing the test by turning the shaftS by hand.

Picture with no pressure on the pedal:

Clutch pedal on the floor:

------------------
"So, let me get this straight, Your Honda has 1.6 liters, whereas my bottle of Pepsi has 2 ?"

[This message has been edited by falcon_ca (edited 03-08-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Have you recently replaced the slave or master cylinders? I have heard of people receiving the wrong ones, resulting in not enough travel. I think you should be getting around 1 inch of travel. Did the clutch system work on your old transmission? Possible the clutch pedal is bent, costing you some travel.
falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to tell that everything was find on the clutch side with the old transmission.

Could it be just the position of the fork arm on the fork head ? I just put it back where the FWD arm was.

------------------
"So, let me get this straight, Your Honda has 1.6 liters, whereas my bottle of Pepsi has 2 ?"

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
When I read your post that was my first thought.
On the Fiero clutch there is no free play between the fork and the TO bearing or the TO and the clutch fingers. The spring in the slave will push it out until all free play is gone.
If you have much free play your slave could be over extended and bottoming out at the end of the stroke.
A slave will normally have a good 1" for stroke.

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 03-08-2008).]

falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2008 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

The spring in the slave will push it out until all free play is gone.

I think this is what happening. because I can feel the free play only when I remove the slave cylindre.

I will try 2 things this afternoon:

First, try all the different bleeding techniques people sent me (just to make sure)
Second, try to instal the fork arm a way I will be sure to have at least 1 inche of "hard to push".
falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2008 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post

falcon_ca

1291 posts
Member since Dec 2007
Now have about an inch of slave cylinder real work.

Still not able to turn the wheels with a pressed pedal in first gear.

I probably done something wrong at the tranmission installation time.

------------------

falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2008 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
Found

Pressure plate too thick.

I bought a stage 2 kit at ezclutch on eBay and of course I did not measure anything before I installed it.

Who do that ?

The fingers are a little bit different but I though it was normal for this kit.

Disappointed...

[This message has been edited by falcon_ca (edited 03-14-2008).]

Jon350

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2008 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jon350Send a Private Message to Jon350Direct Link to This Post
I don't think a thicker pressure plate would prevent the clutch to fully disengage. Only the slave cyl. starting position would be change.

Don't know if that could help but i also had clutch problem on my Fiero (v8 conversion). Finally found that the slave cyl was bottoming out. Solved the problem by installing a longer slave cyl. rod.
falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2008 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
I also installed a longer rod.

But the main problem with the thick pressure plate is that its rubbing agains the transmission.

So I have no other choice than replace it.

I'm pretty sure that will also solve the two problems.
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2008 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Yeah that's no Fiero pressure plate! They should all look just like the stock one. As far as I know nobody makes anything different. As far as I know, all aftermarket stock-diameter Fiero clutches just use Luk pressure plates (OEM) with fancy paint jobs. At least it makes it easy to see if it'll work!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock