Engine mounts- Save me some time-pls? by sjmaye
Started on: 03-08-2008 06:24 AM
Replies: 3
Last post by: sjmaye on 03-09-2008 04:53 AM
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the engine mounts on my 87 GT 5speed several months back. Recently on the way home from work I felt a small pop while decelerating to a stop. After that I am getting a sort of slapping or vibration as I let the clutch out. I knew my clutch had some minor clutch chatter, but this sounds and feels like the air cleaner slapping the firewall. I am guessing one of the new mounts let go and the clutch chatter is being magnified during takeoff.

Before replacing the mounts last time I tried to jack the engine up in places to see if I could tell which one was bad. I couldn't. Anybody got a better way?

Save me some time- The vibration is at takeoff. Which mount is most likely the culprit?

Double bonus question- This is probably totally unrelated, but I also seem to have gotten air in the clutch hydraulics about the same time. I rebuilt the slave cylinder some time ago and it has performed flawlessly since. Just strange the problem seemed to arise at this time of this potential motor mount problem. Any chance they are related?

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 03-08-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2008 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Too much text?

My engine rattles upon acceleration. Which is the most likely motor mount to be bad?
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2008 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
My first thought would be the front tranny mount.

Disconnect the dog bone and then see if you can rock the motor to the rear by hand, engine off, and see if the mount is broken.

Get a friend to help.

Steve

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

Some helpful links I've done
How to remove inner door panels, with pics.
How to remove outer door panels, with pics.
How to make rear coil-overs using factory struts, with pics.
How to remove rear bearing hubs, with pics.
How to modify the stock Fiero radio for MP3 players, with pics.
How to come up with the right coolant hoses for that engine swap...With Pics.
Basic Fiero electrical testing "How To" and equipment...with pics.

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2008 04:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Gosh i feel stupid. When I tried checking for bad motor mounts before I did not disconnect the dogbone.

I will give it a try. Thanks, Steve.

BTW- When I replaced the motor and trans mounts I thought my dogbone would line up for reinstall but it did not. I had to force it. Could this aggravate/help damage motor or trans mounts?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock