Changing the roof panel by Spoilt_87fiero
Started on: 03-07-2008 09:55 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: whodeanie on 03-10-2008 08:28 AM
Spoilt_87fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroDirect Link to This Post
Been searching the threads but couldn't find anything. My dad just bought an 87 gt and someone put a aftermarket sunroof in it and guess what? It leaks. I have a spare car with a factory sunroof and was wondering if anybody knows how to change the roof panel?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
the reverend

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for the reverendClick Here to visit the reverend's HomePageSend a Private Message to the reverendDirect Link to This Post
I was going to post a similar question. I need to change the triangle thingy behind the side view mirror. Its held on by 3 screws. The bottom you can get to when the door is open, but 2 are under the roof pannel on the A pillar.

How do you get to the top screws without breaking the panel?

Nick
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Pull Sunroof
Pull Sunroof rear latch
Pull A pillar Trim both sides
Pull 3rd Brake light
Pull Visors
Pull Light
Pull coat hooks
catch headliner
Remove 3 bolts above windshield
Remove 3 nuts back of roof
Open hood
Remove Black plastic piece
Remove Upper 3 bolts from each fender
Pull bolts on bottom front edge
GET HELP
Carefully pull outward on fender to get panel on top of it
May have to remove windshield trim
Slowly lift up on panel Watch the amount of presure you put on it they BREAK at the top of the A pillars
There is Butyl under the panel that with constant steady preasure will pull away.
A pillars are the hardest but Go slow and they will release.

Do this to the BAD ROOF FIRST.

A piece of steel cable helps split the butyl.

OR remove sunroof and reseal with Butyl rope.
Spoilt_87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks alot + for u
the reverend

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for the reverendClick Here to visit the reverend's HomePageSend a Private Message to the reverendDirect Link to This Post
Glad I don't have to do all that.

Good Luck Spoilt_87fiero.

Thanks
Nick
2farnorth

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
Make sure the car is in a warm place. That allows the butyl to soften a little and be more plyable. It is very common for the panel to break near the top of the "A" pillars if you go too fast. That roof panel is quite fragile when compared to the rest of the car panels.

[This message has been edited by 2farnorth (edited 03-08-2008).]

Spoilt_87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroDirect Link to This Post
i wish i didn't have to do it either
86fierofun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
Well, I guess you don't have to. You could just reseal the other sunroof......
Spoilt_87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2008 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroDirect Link to This Post
i thought about that but this sunroof is kinda small and really dont like the way it looks
Nazareth

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2008 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NazarethSend a Private Message to NazarethDirect Link to This Post
How bout cutting the existing roof panel?.... if you happen to mess up you.re no worse off.... and if it works (which i bet it will) you'll be much better off... Tim
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
Why would you cut it? taking the bad one off helps teach you how to get the good one off without breaking it. Breaking the A pillars makes for a horrible repair.
PFF
System Bot
Nazareth

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NazarethSend a Private Message to NazarethDirect Link to This Post
I meant cutting it to accept the factory sunroof..... the aftermarket/bad top is already a waste
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
I hope they did not cut the sub structure it will make it harder to fix.
the roof is fairly easy to change just do not force it .
Good luck
Spoilt_87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Spoilt_87fieroSend a Private Message to Spoilt_87fieroDirect Link to This Post
i thouoght about that . The sunroofs kinda small so maybe they didn't
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2008 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
I have a factory sun roof top and I am doing the same thing. I thought about just cutting the top that is on the car now.
it will not work with a factory sun roof the factory sun roof top has a flange formed into it to set the sun roof flat to the top
and make it water tight if you just cut a hole it the top you will never seal it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock