Now valve chatter by White Spyder
Started on: 03-07-2008 07:04 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: PineyCreek on 03-08-2008 04:58 PM
White Spyder

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderClick Here to Email White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88 with a Duke. Over the weekend I replaced the exhaust manifold due to a rather large crack. While I was at it I changed the O2 sensor and cut out the very clogged cat. Now i am getting valve clatter with light acceleration. Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
linuxpowered88

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linuxpowered88Click Here to Email linuxpowered88Send a Private Message to linuxpowered88Direct Link to This Post
Pull the valve cover and check the lash sounds like all that back pressure or the lack of it depending on the crack has pushed it off. I don't know an easy way to check the valves.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Could just be an exhaust leak. They sound like a bad lifter/valve or bearing.

J.
White Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderClick Here to Email White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Could just be an exhaust leak. They sound like a bad lifter/valve or bearing.

J.

No leak. It is vale clatter. Thanks for the thought though.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-07-2008 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManClick Here to Email JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The duke clatters like an old diesel truck when it gets worn, the exhaust leak probably masked that until you fixed it.

JazzMan
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageClick Here to Email Steven SnyderSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Is it a fluttering sound? Like detonation? My duke did that when the EGR wasn't working right.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

Is it a fluttering sound? Like detonation? My duke did that when the EGR wasn't working right.

X2
FieroJimmy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

X3

You shouldn't have any valve noise while the engine is above idle that isn't there at idle. At idle the oil pressure is lowest, and therefore more likely to allow a lifter to bleed down if not lashed properly (and oil pressure is very low).
White Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderClick Here to Email White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post
EGR valve seems to have been the issue! What a great site!
PineyCreek

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PineyCreekClick Here to visit PineyCreek's HomePageSend a Private Message to PineyCreekDirect Link to This Post
Heh, lifter chatter is normal on an 88 Duke if you haven't rebuilt the engine...they still keep on going, and going, and going though :P Tough engines, if a bit anemic.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock