Spark Plug Wire Route(No Start) by Byron
Started on: 03-02-2008 01:35 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Gwain on 03-02-2008 05:15 PM
Byron

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2008 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ByronSend a Private Message to ByronDirect Link to This Post
Hey I have a 87 gt v6 2.8l my spark plug wires are all wrong on the distributor cap and engine block cause I had them all off when replacing parts and I didnt write it down and I dont remember how it all went so I just need to know how the spark plugs go on the distributor cap and also on the engine block. I know that the firing order for the cars cylinders is 123456 if that helps. I have come across numerous ways they can go by searching the web but not sure which one works for me.
Thanks in advance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gwain

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2008 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainDirect Link to This Post
Here's a layout of the wire routing

and here's one of the cap

Hope that helps.

------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

• 84 SE son's car, loaded
  • 85 Coup w/V6 transplant
  • 85 GT newly on the road
  • 86 SE/GT conversion just bought - big plans!
Byron

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2008 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ByronSend a Private Message to ByronDirect Link to This Post
Ya I already tried that. I seen it on this site before.
Thanks anyway though.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2008 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gwain:

Start the #1 plug where the #6 is in the picture and go around from that point. That picture has the #1 on the wrong pole.

JazzMan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-02-2008 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
And that only helps if the distributor's never been out of the car (i.e., it's still installed in the original index to the cam gear). If timing is unknown then the first step is finding TDC compression (not TDC exhaust) and setting the motor to TDC compression on the number one cylinder. At that point whatever pole the rotor is under is the starting point for the clockwise firing order of 1-2-3-4-5-6. If you don't verify TDC on an unknown timing setup then you're just peeing into the wind and will accomplish nothing but wasting time and effort.

Some helpful threads:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079386.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/087403.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060811-2-069395.html

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/086676.html

JazzMan
Gwain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2008 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainDirect Link to This Post
Sheesh, everybody's a critic!!

I do know that the picture of the wire on cap configuration gives the best rotation of the cap for setting timing. It offers the best positioning, minimizing interference with the distributor plugs etc. with the engine peripherals in the vicinity of the distributor. It also matches the Service Manual specs. Of course, that's all still a matter of "taste".

JazzMan is correct however. After rereading the thread, it seems if you've "lost" TDC position, you have start from scratch. I'd use that opportunity to reorient the distributor to give you the most unobstructed "swing" for setting the timing.

Just my preference, but I'm "anal"

------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

• 84 SE son's car, loaded
  • 85 Coup w/V6 transplant
  • 85 GT newly on the road
  • 86 SE/GT conversion just bought - big plans!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock