3800SC or V8 by deathangel
Started on: 02-29-2008 03:24 AM
Replies: 86
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 07-16-2008 05:26 PM
deathangel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deathangelSend a Private Message to deathangelDirect Link to This Post
Ok, This is not to start a flame war. Ok I will be coming into some money here pretty soon, and I would like to buy myself a nice engine for the car.
So far I really am leaning to the SC or N/A 3800 S2, or 3. But here lately I've also been thinking about putting a N* or any other V8 besides the 305 in my car.
Guys, this is a daily driver for now. I will be racing every now and then with it....I am just itching to burn this guy here in town with his EVo....I cant wait..
Tell me which is more costly, I know the transmission for the 3800...But for the V8's I have no idea about what type of tranny to use. I have an auto right now, but I would like to have a stick though...Base your answers off of weight, cost, aftermarket support, ease of rebuilding, ease of perforamce upgrades, and so on......please....NO FLAMING....I know its hard...but honestly I need good answers...so I can start my build thread.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BullRider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BullRiderClick Here to visit BullRider's HomePageSend a Private Message to BullRiderDirect Link to This Post
I've got a SBC in my replica. Given the choice, I'd have gone with a 3800 over it. The SBC is a pig on fuel, loud, but its got GOBS of torque! I'd also drop the carb in a heartbeat for a fuel injection system.

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
There is lots of info on this very subject.
do yourself a favor and do a search!
And quit trying to start a flame war.

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 02-29-2008).]

AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
I like both, but if I really had the money to spend.....

deathangel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deathangelSend a Private Message to deathangelDirect Link to This Post
Yeah If I had money to spend I would by that sucker too.....BTW i've done the searching, and all of the post are just flamed up. They dont answer my question. I just want to know...why you would choose one particular engine over the other. Everyone has there own taste...I want to know why you went for the V8, instead of the V6 do you regret it. That type of stuff....You dont have to talk about how all V8 swappers suck, and spend crap load on gas, and all of that....just tell me how you feel, and why you wanted your ride to be that way....Because me...Im torn between the two....
AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
You mentioned bad points about the V8, and that some may regret doing it, but you havent said one bad thing about the 3800.

I think youve made up your mind already, now get to work!
deathangel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deathangelSend a Private Message to deathangelDirect Link to This Post
lmao......
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
myself had a nice tpi set up and my kit to swap it in.....then i went for a "spin" in a nicely modded 3.8sc car...i was sold..all that and its a V6 too...best way to decide is go for a rip in a V8 car and a 3.8sc car..then you have a bit more info to make your own personal preference choice...we could all post info until our fingers are bleeding, but its no comparison to sitting in each car and judging it in person...just a thought...tim
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I think if your going to plan on daily driving it, the v6 is proven in the gas mileage department, and I guess reliability seems to be higher for the v6's than the v8's from my overall impression on the forums here. (I recall more than a few "my v8 with 10k miles spun a bearing" threads)
AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I guess reliability seems to be higher for the v6's than the v8's

How can you say that?

My '99 5.2l Durango has 110K miles on it with no problems. While on the other had, my '97 3800 Buick Lesabre had 80K miles and just melted the intake, hydrolocking the motor.

I guess my point is, you cannot say one used engine is more reliable than the other. Way to many factors involved.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post
In the infamous words of The Human Torch:

"Flame On!"

Jim
PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I think the ultimate Fiero swap (and maybe other cars too) is a nice LS2. Perfect hp range, more aftermarket than anything by far if you want more and great gas milage. But it is high cost. You cannot get guided by some crappy carb V8 setup with no tuning that give you 8-10mpg. Some will give you 20mpg and fuel injected will give you at least that for a mild to medium setup (cam, heads, etc.). If you drive the right V8 there is no comparison. But in your case I think you should go with the 3800SC. Will probably cost you less, may be a little easier to install and will give you good power for every day driving. I personally did the V8 because there is nothing like the V8 sound, torqu is king on the street and it has huge aftermarket to change to whatever I want later. Then there is also the wow factor at the cruise nights I like to attend. You won't understand that unless you have one and drive it into a crowded car guys place

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed Yellow: Nitrous 3.4 + 4 speed Auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
I have a ZZ4 350 SBC with a 4-spd in my car.
It is rated at 355hp and 405 torque, On a dyno it pulled 309rwhp at the wheels.
This is an Off-the-shelf crate engine with no mods.
It will run 0-60 mph in just under 4-seconds and the 1/4 mile in 12.3 seconds.
I get the same gas mileage as I did with my 2.8L V-6 with auto, 18/19 city and 24/25 highway.
As for weight, Removing the 2.8L V-6 auto and adding in the ZZ4 with the 4-spd, the car only gained 30 lbs of weight.

The ZZ4 can be upgraded with the Chevy "Hot" cam and it is suppose to put out just over 400hp.

My car has more of a streetrod or muscle car feel to it. Lots of low end torque.
The 3800SC cars I have driven and rode in are more docile when driving around town (daily driving) but they can produce huge amounts of power when you get on it.

As for aftermarket, The SBC chevy is about the largest one around. The 3800 isn't far behind. There are so many companies making decent parts for both engines, I would not even use this point when comparing engines.

Both engines are easy to upgrade.

Cost is another subjective thing. Either swap can cost you anywhere from $1000 and up depending on how much work you do yourself and the cost of the engine. Used engines go for less money, where crate engines are basically brand new and cost more.
Finding information about a swap you decide on is very easy, Many here have done both swaps.

In all honesty a V-8 Fiero and a 3800SC Fiero are two very different cars. I usually recommend that if a person is looking for either swap, it is best if they seek out local Fiero's that already have the swaps you are thinking about and take a ride in them. Basically only you can decide how you want the car to act/feel. It is a matter of personal preference. Both swaps can provide a lot of power and be very enjoyable to drive.

Hope this helps.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Oreif

16460 posts
Member since Jan 2000

(I recall more than a few "my v8 with 10k miles spun a bearing" threads)

Funny, I have only found one thread using the search where a V-8 spun a bearing and it was a used engine. The 12 other threads were 3.4DOHC's, 3800SC's, and one was a QUAD4.

Can you post links to these few "V8's with less than 10K spun a bearing" threads?

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 02-29-2008).]

deathangel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deathangelSend a Private Message to deathangelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:
Funny, I have only found one thread using the search where a V-8 spun a bearing and it was a used engine. The 12 other threads were 3.4DOHC's, 3800SC's, and one was a QUAD4.

Can you post links to these few "V8's with less than 10K spun a bearing" threads?

No dont do that...Like I said no flame. But Oreif you do have a point....
I wanted to do a Quad 4 engine but those suckers are hard to fine....BUT I dont know anyone who lives in Kansas with a SC 3800.
I would love to drive one....
typhoon

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for typhoonSend a Private Message to typhoonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AutoTech:

How can you say that?

My '99 5.2l Durango has 110K miles on it with no problems. While on the other had, my '97 3800 Buick Lesabre had 80K miles and just melted the intake, hydrolocking the motor.

I guess my point is, you cannot say one used engine is more reliable than the other. Way to many factors involved.

Are you suggesting a Dodge motor in a Fiero?
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AutoTech:

How can you say that?

You do realize the SBC isn't used in the Durango right? My buddy has a jeep with the same 5.2L, 210,000 and still going strong, crappy dying tranny is the issue. To the OP, I was a V8 fanboy from the day I got my 88GT, I fantasized about building my own swap kit to save money or to get an Archie kit. However after watching vids, and looking at the numbers I went out and bought an 87 for a 3800SC and 4T65-HD. Personally its a better choice, better mpg, cheaper swap (you can do a 3800SC swap for the price of a V8 kit), faster in a lot of cases, newer motor. The cons are: IMO the 3800 is ugly sounding and the blower whine sounds too electric, you have to do wiring (EFI V8 is the way to go if you go V8, but carb can be done with a total of like 6 wires), and 93 octane kind of sucks. If I had to go V8 I'd go LSx but then you are looking at a swap that is 5+ times the cost of a 3800 swap. I say 3800, but then again its your car. You really can't match the V8 rumble.

AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
It was just a point I was trying to make about comparing 2 different used engines.

Dont take everything so literal, relax a little bit !

[This message has been edited by AutoTech (edited 02-29-2008).]

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Don't worry meng I was just messing with you.
AutoTech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
black88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for black88fieroSend a Private Message to black88fieroDirect Link to This Post
i know a guy who swapped a 3.8 sc in a fiero and would spin the rims in the tires,pull the front wheels of the ground and still get 30mpg

------------------
Parts for your FWD GM 97-07
Morad Parts Company
Moradpartscompany

[This message has been edited by black88fiero (edited 03-01-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by black88fiero:

i know a guy who swapped a 3.8 sc in a fiero and would spin the rims in the tires,pull the front wheels of the ground and still get 30mpg

Yea, I think we had the "why spinning properly inflated radials is impossible" thread somewhere.

And when I said "i feel that there are more v8's seem to die than 3800's" I was just speaking totally out of my ass, I really have no idea. although I might have an eye out for v8 failure threads, I know there are just as many 3800's being done as 350s, if not more because alot of v8 guys are not on this forum.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

I was just speaking totally out of my ass, I really have no idea.

You should get that looked at.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

I was just speaking totally out of my ass, I really have no idea.

At least you’re admitting it now.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I am used to comments like that infer the "opinion part" a bit more, so I just wanted to clarify that.
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post
Well I wouldn't say The V8 is king of the street, look at Porsche with their flat 6's they have models that spank V8's all day long. I think what you need to look when choosing an engine, is what do you want your Fiero to feel like? What I mean is, with a V8 you will have lot of power, and torq, but it is heavy, and will throw the balance of the car of from its original feel, unless you do some serious suspension upgrading, even then though, you've got a anchor in the back. I would look at it like this, what are you more in to? street rods, and drag racing in a straight line, or sports cars and cornering, track based driving? A V8 will feel like a street rod, with lots of power and torq. The handling, well you know. For me, I like rods, but prefer a "sports car feel" I would rather have a powerful well handling car. In my opinion, a modified, 3800 SC in a fiero, would mop up a fiero V8 on a track. A drag strip is a different story, not that it cant be done though. In the 50's The Corvette would track race the old Porsche 356 roadsters all the time. The vettes did well on the straights, but always got beat by the 356's because of their handling ability, even though the vette had MUCH more power. I guess it comes down to driving style, taste, and what you like. I would think you would probably have less wear and tear on you car with a 3800 SC then the V8, but I could be wrong.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Since I had 10+ Camaros, 2 Corvettes, and several Chevy trucks... it was a no-brainer for me to build a SBC for my 88 fiero.

It has been 5+ years and 20K+ miles and I have absolutely no regrets. It is docile enough to drive daily, stays cool in stop and go traffic and at 80+ on the highway, has been on several 2500+ mile trips, and just continues to be a bunch of fun.

My other 88 is getting a V6, but I am going the 4.3 route - again because I have had several of them (currently have 2), know them very well, and just because I like to do things differently.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
The 50's The Corvettes were built on the full size Tri-5 Chassis' of the day. Live rear axle & all.

Archie
Idaho_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Idaho_FieroSend a Private Message to Idaho_FieroDirect Link to This Post
Heck if there is someone close or even somewhat close to Idaho that would let me ride in a 3800SC and/or 350SBC, I'd be all over it cause I have the same problem.
Wes
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by typhoon:

Are you suggesting a Dodge motor in a Fiero?

318 is a tough engine. It laughs at overheating.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

318 is a tough engine. It laughs at overheating.

Its also too long.
PFF
System Bot
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post
Archie, my point is simply it depends on what kind of performing car he wants. It can be a fine balance of weight VS power. There is such a thing as too much torq, or power, etc. thats all. If all you want is a dragster, then who cares about the handling right?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3057Click Here to visit 3057's HomePageSend a Private Message to 3057Direct Link to This Post
I'm a bit suprised that nobody's brought up the Cadillac 4.5/4.9 yet; as for price, you can usually get them for what the 3800NA costs, and if you pull one from a Deville and keep the brackets I've heard (?) that they're easier than the 3800NA/SC to drop in. They also have slightly higher power and torque specs, and make it at lower RPM (HP @ 4500, IIRC)...fuel economy is also similar, and you can use 'em with the manual too (Muncies and Getrags handle them better than Isuzu's should, tho). Plus, you shouldn't need a mount-kit, if you're doing the work yourself and are trying to save some scratch. Ideas/flames?
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post
so the 4.5/4.9 wilt bolt right up with no kit?
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
For what its worth my car still handles as well as the V6 car did. Its quite responsive in traffic and the extra power makes passing sooooooo much fun.
I'm sure the new bushings and ball joints will tighten everything up.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NickD3.4:

If its a 5speed you've got to cut the transcase for the starter IIRC, and if its auto your supposed to use the caddy tranny.
deathangel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2008 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deathangelSend a Private Message to deathangelDirect Link to This Post
Well I'll tell you one thing....I hate the way my ride handles right now....I want speed, and a lot of it. i want something that will scream.....Something that I can chill with , and kill the imports on a daily basis with....See I like my cars to handle very tightly during speedy drives....I dont want tons of weight in the back....
NickD3.4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2008 06:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NickD3.4Send a Private Message to NickD3.4Direct Link to This Post
well if you want something with speed, and NOT alot of weight in the back, I would say, 3800 SC, or a 3.4 V6 turbo charged. A aluminum LS is an option, but now were talking $$$. I rode in my buddy's car with a 3800 SC. It was my first time in one...wow, I was impressed. The fast and furious crowd would get smoked by this thing.
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2008 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deathangel:

Ok, This is not to start a flame war. Ok I will be coming into some money here pretty soon, and I would like to buy myself a nice engine for the car.
So far I really am leaning to the SC or N/A 3800 S2, or 3. But here lately I've also been thinking about putting a N* or any other V8 besides the 305 in my car.
Guys, this is a daily driver for now. I will be racing every now and then with it....I am just itching to burn this guy here in town with his EVo....I cant wait..
Tell me which is more costly, I know the transmission for the 3800...But for the V8's I have no idea about what type of tranny to use. I have an auto right now, but I would like to have a stick though...Base your answers off of weight, cost, aftermarket support, ease of rebuilding, ease of perforamce upgrades, and so on......please....NO FLAMING....I know its hard...but honestly I need good answers...so I can start my build thread.

the best bang for the bucks is the N*, in my opinion.. high revving, can mate with the fiero manual trannies, doesnt have a snap-dragon low end TQ so you wont have terrible tire spinning issues unless you intentionally try to every time, and it is pretty much a low 13 sec, high 12 car out of the box... beef up the cams and port and polish the heads and you definately have a NA 12 sec car...the SBC route is just too heavy in my opinion it unfavorably changes the handling and geometry of the car...

the next best choice would be the 3800 SC series 2 of course.. SBC is really last on my list. i would install a turbo 3.4 DOHC or a built up 4.9L before i installed an SBC
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2008 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

stickpony

1187 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Originally posted by NickD3.4:

you have to weld in a front plate for the front engine mount, and you have to add one for the rear as well if you are using an auto, and make a custom mounting bracket if it is a manual...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock