clutch and shifting issues by 87GT2M6
Started on: 02-28-2008 09:09 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: 87GT2M6 on 04-05-2008 09:03 PM
87GT2M6

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Direct Link to This Post
Lately in the mornings the clutch feels very lite and it's hard to engage 1st and 2nd but after about 15-30 min it feels a little stiffer "there’s actual press" when you push down on it the gears are smooth form 1st to 5th no problems engaging. After the car sits a while at work same thing all over again.

I’ve checked fluid levels and all is fine
No leaks

What could be causing this? Any advice is appreciated

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a slave cylinder to me. Its hard to shift because its not fully disengaging the clutch. Try pumping the clutch a couple of times before shifting the car at all. That should help after it sits a while. Also, it will probably get worse to a point where you have to pump the clutch every time you push it. Been there before. I guess it could also be the clutch master cylinder instead, but Ive seen way more slave cylinders go out.

-JOE
87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Direct Link to This Post
joesfiero thanks and I'm going to look into the slave cylinder first. Even before I do that I'm going to drain and add new fluid and bleed the line just in case.

Thank you for your advice greatly appreciated
87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2008 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Direct Link to This Post
I've been procrastinating on this issue and now it's bit me in the A_ _ any how . Today the petal just went free flowing only after pumping it consistently did I get a little pressure going. I managed to get home, I did a bleeding and it just went back to the way it was before which was pump a few time 3-5 and then with a little trouble it would engage. I check for leaks and I have none not at the master cylinder or the slave. My question is could the slave be bad and still not leak? is this possible?

Need anyone's help asap as this will determine if I go into work tomorrow or stay home to take care of my baby (my fiero that is)

thanks a million

Angel
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2008 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
When the pedal drops like you described, it sounds like the slave seals are gone. Get a new slave cylinder, bench bleed it before installing it, and then gravity bleed it, to make sure all the air is out. You can also push the slave push rod into the slave body and close the bleed screw, to get the last of the air out.
87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2008 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

When the pedal drops like you described, it sounds like the slave seals are gone. Get a new slave cylinder, bench bleed it before installing it, and then gravity bleed it, to make sure all the air is out. You can also push the slave push rod into the slave body and close the bleed screw, to get the last of the air out.

how do you bench bleed?
FI3RO85GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FI3RO85GTSend a Private Message to FI3RO85GTDirect Link to This Post
First of all is it hard to shift when the car is off? If so it could be a cable issue. Try greasing and adjusting the cables
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GT2M6:

I've been procrastinating on this issue and now it's bit me in the A_ _ any how . Today the petal just went free flowing only after pumping it consistently did I get a little pressure going. I managed to get home, I did a bleeding and it just went back to the way it was before which was pump a few time 3-5 and then with a little trouble it would engage. I check for leaks and I have none not at the master cylinder or the slave. My question is could the slave be bad and still not leak? is this possible?

Need anyone's help asap as this will determine if I go into work tomorrow or stay home to take care of my baby (my fiero that is)

thanks a million

Angel

Yes, the slave 'could' be bad and not leak, but usually the symptoms are different than what you describe.
In your case, I would suspect the master cylinder. Hard to find a leak, because the fluid is often hidden under the floor carpet, or the seals in the master are just bypassing--but not leaking to the outside. Pumping the pedal forces the seals out and seals them off enough to pump up pressure, but just pressing the clutch in normally will not do the same thing.

Have you lost any fluid from your clutch master cylinder?

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2008 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I have the same problem with my Indy. After it's been parked I have to pump the pedal about 20 time to build pressure back up to be able to shift.

Bleeding won't help, you have a bad seal that is allowing the system to lose pressure.

My experience is that the master will go bad and cause this. I'll let you know what happens after I replace the master.

If the system is not losing fluid then it's usually an internal seal in the master versus a slave that will leak externally.
87GT2M6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Direct Link to This Post
Thank you all for you input, it turned out to be the slave cylinder. I put it in and it shifts like brand new. There is pressure through out the entire pedal travel and it engages beautifully.

Again thank you all for your help.

Now I only have to change the oil pan to get rid of a tiny little oil leak and that's it I'll be ready for the Punta Gorda show.

[This message has been edited by 87GT2M6 (edited 04-05-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock