Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Removing front cylinder head (can it be done in car?)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Removing front cylinder head (can it be done in car?) by CharlieGT
Started on: 02-28-2008 10:47 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Gwain on 02-28-2008 07:24 PM
CharlieGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CharlieGTClick Here to visit CharlieGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to CharlieGTDirect Link to This Post
My 85 GT started missing when under load last week so I decided to do some overdue maintenance (plugs, wires, distributer cap, ignition control module, oil, o2 sensor (which had fallen out somehow)). To make a long story short, the front plugs were rusted into the had and I twisted one of them apart trying to get it out (the threads are still in the head, the rest of it came out). So, I have a few questions:

1. Can the head be removed without pulling the engine, or is it easier just to pull the whole thing?
2. Has this ever happened to anyone? Do the front plugs tend to rust more than the rear?

Thanks for the help
Charlie
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Yes & yes.
You have to pull the entire intake off of course as well as the exhaust manufold & bracket for the AC compressor. It's not a big deal to do it in the car (stand in the trunk; go under it for some bolts), just a pain in the back.
The front cylinders get water on them so the plugs tend to rust in. Put anti-sieze on them to help.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
CharlieGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CharlieGTClick Here to visit CharlieGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to CharlieGTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the prompt response! I thought of question number 3.

If this has happened to anyone else, how did you fix it - did you have to replace the head or is there a trick to getting the threads out?

Thanks again
Charlie
OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post
Same thing happened to me, took hours, but I was able to get the remainder of the sparkplugs out without damageing the threads (used my tap and die set fom Sears). If worse comes to worse they do sell repair thread kits at most local parts store. If you are unsure of your skills to perform this a machine shop should be able to do everything for you in a 24 hours or less turnaround time frame.
Bottom line is you do have options, just see what works best for you.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Should have said I drilled mine out &, once it got hot running the drill through it, the remainder screwed out.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"
Gwain

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainDirect Link to This Post
You might also want to consider, while it may be a task, getting those broken spark plugs out, it'll be even more challenging getting those front exhaust manifold bolts out!

Unless of course you just drop the engine so you can get to everything.

I've had 2 cars I dealt with broken plugs, and chose to delay first and try and get the plugs out. Glad I did. In both cases I was successful. I still need to do some manifold work eventually, and from what I've researched, it's either a week of soaking bolts before you start, or dropping the engine so it's easier to get to everything.

Know this doesn't give you any great suggestions, just trying to be supportive for what many of us have already been through.

Good luck

------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

• 84 SE son's car, loaded
  • 85 Coup w/V6 transplant
  • 85 GT newly on the road
  • 86 SE/GT conversion just bought - big plans!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock