Pickup coil replacement by gem1138
Started on: 02-27-2008 08:54 AM
Replies: 17
Last post by: mmeyer86gt/gtp on 02-29-2008 12:50 AM
gem1138

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2008 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Direct Link to This Post
I purchased a new ignition pickup coil and ignition module for my 88GT from The Fiero Store yesterday and expect delivery Friday or Saturday.
Replacing the ignition module is a piece of cake but what is involved in replacing the pickup coil? Is it necessary to remove the distributor?
I don’t want to reinvent the wheel here.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post02-27-2008 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Yes, you have to pull the distributor. The trigger star wheel is splined/pressed onto the shaft and though it looks like you could pull it up and off once you do that it won't fit tightly anymore and the distributor shaft endplay will make the distributor unuseable.

I think Jetman posted a writeup on this not too long ago, you might try the search function.

JazzMan
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2008 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
how about some videos?

removing the distributor

replacing the pickup part 1

replacing the pickup part 2

putting the distributor back in

setting base timing on a V6

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 02-27-2008).]

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2008 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
^ yup like all above - its gotta get pulled......
but, it is not a toughy. just mark it properly, and its easy.
when you pull it the dist, mark where the rotor is pointing, then pull up - the rotor will turn - mark where it ends up also for even easier install.
strip what ya can
get a punch/drift whatever to tap out the roll pin holding the dist gear. take gear off, slide shaft out. really is that easy.
clean clean clean the dist shaft & bearings - make that thing spin free. I'm sure ya noticed how sticky it is when ya took it apart. that thing should spin like a top when you are done. not feel like its stuck in clay.
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2008 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
As compared with buddy's video's this seems so analog.
My little distributor replacement write up with pictures.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079386.html
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-27-2008 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Videos are great, but only for someone who doesn't get little white squares with green puzzle pieces like I do since my work computer has been stripped of any ability whatsoever to play any kind of video of any kind by my obstructive little man syndrome sysadmin. Don't have a home computer anymore.

I like "analog" pictures, hehehe...

JazzMan
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2008 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetman:
As compared with buddy's video's this seems so analog.

yeah, but with your picture thread, no one has to listen to my nasaly voice
gem1138

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2008 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Direct Link to This Post
Thanks all,
I see that jetman suggests pulling the ECM fuse, but is suspect that is to prevent the engine from starting when cranked. I, unfortunately, won’t have that problem.
I am wondering why the ADL connection needs to be ground prior to setting the timing. What’s the deal?
George
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2008 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gem1138:
Thanks all,
I see that jetman suggests pulling the ECM fuse, but is suspect that is to prevent the engine from starting when cranked. I, unfortunately, won’t have that problem.
I am wondering why the ADL connection needs to be ground prior to setting the timing. What’s the deal?
George

it shuts off any ECM timing adjustments. you cant set the timing, if the ECM keeps moving the timing around on ya
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2008 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:
Videos are great, but only for someone who doesn't get little white squares with green puzzle pieces like I do since my work computer has been stripped of any ability whatsoever to play any kind of video of any kind by my obstructive little man syndrome sysadmin. Don't have a home computer anymore.

he had to, otherwise you would spend all day on the net watching videos.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-28-2008 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

he had to, otherwise you would spend all day on the net watching videos.

Heh, everyone else here has the ability to view videos. No, my IT spaztic has a hard-on for me, has done every passive-aggressive thing he can to reduce the quality of my job experience since day one. I have no idea what I did to trigger this guy, sure wish I knew. I still haven't seen Star Wars Kid.

JazzMan
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-28-2008 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

JazzMan

18612 posts
Member since Mar 2003
On grounding the ALDL connector to set timing, the ECM uses non-linear advance curves and is constantly tweaking the advance command to the distributor module. At idle the ECM normally commands around 30-35° advance, so if you set timing without the ALDL grounded you'll actually be setting your advance up to 25° retarded.

JazzMan
Gwain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainDirect Link to This Post
While I've watched some of the other Buddy Craigg videos, this was the first time I saw the distributor one.

I'm starting to think Buddy Craig videos should be a requirement for Pennock's membership!"

I particularly liked the "hot, hot, hot" commentary while working on the hot engine.

Buddy, you da man!!

------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

• 84 SE son's car, loaded
  • 85 Coup w/V6 transplant
  • 85 GT newly on the road
  • 86 SE/GT conversion just bought - big plans!
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:
Heh, everyone else here has the ability to view videos. No, my IT spaztic has a hard-on for me, has done every passive-aggressive thing he can to reduce the quality of my job experience since day one. I have no idea what I did to trigger this guy, sure wish I knew. I still haven't seen Star Wars Kid.
JazzMan

i'm just razzin ya.
i've read your posts about him picking on you.
it does sound like he's singled you out for something.

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 02-28-2008).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13597 posts
Member since Jul 2002

Originally posted by Gwain:
I particularly liked the "hot, hot, hot" commentary while working on the hot engine.

thanks.

and while i don't remember that particular instance in one of my videos, i'm sure we all have juggled a hot nut or bolt back and forth between our hands rather than being smart enough to just drop the damn thing
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2008 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
Hey Buddy how much of your video would translate over to the mighty Iron Duke Distributor? I would assume it is very similar just missing two plug wires?
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Curlrup:
Hey Buddy how much of your video would translate over to the mighty Iron Duke Distributor? I would assume it is very similar just missing two plug wires?

that and it's under the intake manifold.
but it's mostly the same.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpDirect Link to This Post
Also if you have the whole thing out and apart look for one of my threads it shows how you can replace the ailing fiero parts with parts you can get reasonably cheap at a junkyard and the distributor will run cooler and last longer!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock