Ecotec swap/Quad 4 bellhousing by fast40driver
Started on: 02-26-2008 01:56 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: ccfiero350 on 03-01-2008 12:16 AM
fast40driver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2008 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fast40driverSend a Private Message to fast40driverDirect Link to This Post
I/m getting a little more serious about an Ecotec swap. I bought a low mile LE5, and from a link in this forum, found a brand new getrag for a Quad 4. I bought it, as the internal parts should interchange, and I do have a couple of problems with mine. I got to looking at the Quad 4 pattern, and it looked as if a couple of holes were similar. I took a quick check - nothing fancy, just tapped out a paper "Gasket", held it up to the Ecotec, and it looks like both of the dowel holes and one additional bolt hole match. Does anyone know if this is the actual case? Otherwise, I can set the transaxle up in the mill, and dial in on each hole, but if the dowels match, life just got easier - all of the other holes are pretty well just clearance holes.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge that anyone might have.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ccfiero350

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2008 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Direct Link to This Post
Nothing better then a dimensional drawing from GM. I have not found one yet for the quad-4 yet.

http://tunersource.gmblogs....smission-pattern.pdf

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock
white 88 notchie, 4 banger

niemann99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2008 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for niemann99Send a Private Message to niemann99Direct Link to This Post
Let us all know how close it is, there are a few Quad 4 Getrags around, and more than a few Quad 4 Isuzus.
joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2008 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post
Can you not hold the trans to the engine and physically try it?

-JOE

[This message has been edited by joesfiero (edited 02-26-2008).]

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2008 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
The Quad 4 Getrag is a 282.. the Ecotec getrag is a completely different animal. Obviously the bolt patterns are different, and as far as I know there are no interchange parts. Don't get to into that tranny if it turns out you can't use it. Keep in mind that even if three holes line up the input shaft isn't necessarily centered on the crankshaft.
AP2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2008 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:
Keep in mind that even if three holes line up the input shaft isn't necessarily centered on the crankshaft.

In fact, the bolt holes all might line up and it STILL doesnt guarantee that the input shaft is centered.

Still, this is a neat bit of information that might prove useful to someone...
fast40driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2008 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fast40driverSend a Private Message to fast40driverDirect Link to This Post
I am using a 282 gertrag. Ok, took a closer look at it, yes, the dowels are the same co-ordinates from the crank center, but the pattern is rotated by about 15 degrees. I split the case on the gertrag, put the bellhousing half in the mill, set the case at the correct angle - the way it sits in the car, and dialed in each bolt hole and read the co-ordinates off of the DRO last night. Bought a chunk of plate today, I will try to fab the adapter plate tomorrow, as long as it keeps raining. Looks good so far - bought some mount brackets and mounts from Rodney, I should be able to use the stock transaxle mount location and monut. Left axle will work with no problem, I am thinking that the right will also with a little surgery on the Ecotec block. Planning to use the front trunion mount on an A-frame, and will put a dogbone on the bottom. I'll see how it goes.

Mike
ccfiero350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2008 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ccfiero350Send a Private Message to ccfiero350Direct Link to This Post
Could I have the DRO coordinates of the quad bell housing to add to my data base?

Thanks,

Chuck

------------------
yellow 88 GT, not stock
white 88 notchie, 4 banger

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay