Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Where to find factory radio harness connector?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Where to find factory radio harness connector? by brossow
Started on: 02-23-2008 11:36 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: brossow on 02-24-2008 09:05 PM
brossow

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brossowSend a Private Message to brossowDirect Link to This Post
A previous owner butchered the factory wiring harness for the radio in my '87 and so I've got nothing but bare wire ends hanging out of the dash. I'd like to fix this. Is the factory side of the connector available in the aftermarket? I already have the connector that you wire to an aftermarket stereo and plug into the factory harness (it came with the car, which begs the question of why the harness was butchered). If not available new, anyone want to part with one from their pile o' spare parts?

Thanks,
Brent

------------------
1987 Fiero Coupe (Notchback) 2.5L 5-speed
1 of 4,458 Fieros in Bright Blue Metallic
Web: www.hootus.com/fiero

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
As for your Nova missing bolt , i had the same problem with a 307 In a 1970 Jimmy
For the wire i'll look in my thousand miles of Fiero wires i have .
You need the blue white and black connector don't you ?
brossow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brossowSend a Private Message to brossowDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robert 2:
For the wire i'll look in my thousand miles of Fiero wires i have .
You need the blue white and black connector don't you ?

I'm honestly not sure what connector I need. Whatever would have come from the factory in '87. All I've got is a bunch of wires sticking out.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by brossow:

I'm honestly not sure what connector I need. Whatever would have come from the factory in '87. All I've got is a bunch of wires sticking out.

This is what you need:

http://www.sonicelectronix....49_PAC+ADD-GM12.html

Cut that harness in half...the three loose connectors is what the factory harness had on it originally.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-23-2008).]

brossow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brossowSend a Private Message to brossowDirect Link to This Post
jscott1: THANKS! That's exactly what i was looking for. Glad I can go new instead of patching in scavenged old wires. (Not that there's anything wrong with that....)

EDIT: Well, it was what I was looking for until I found out they want $13.50 to ship it to me. Yikes.

[This message has been edited by brossow (edited 02-23-2008).]

jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
you need a metra 71-1677-1 around $10-12 at local audio shop

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
86 SE
sbc / 5sp

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
No problem. I also should mention don't forget the 4th connector for the memory wire that keeps the clock going.

These harnesses make things so much easier...I can remember back in the day before the internet calling all over town looking for one of these and people thought I was crazy. I ended up using a generic connector from Radio Shack.

brossow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brossowSend a Private Message to brossowDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

you need a metra 71-1677-1 around $10-12 at local audio shop

Thanks for the additional info. Just ordered one of these kits online for $13.39 shipped -- that's less than the shipping alone for the PAC kit! Figured it was easier to just order online than to call / drive around to local shops and end up paying the same amount plus sales tax.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by brossow:

-- that's less than the shipping alone for the PAC kit!

Wow! I didn't realize that site had those jacked up shipping charges. They have adopted the GMPP pricing method where they advertise low prices and make all the profit on the shipping. I'm glad you found what you needed.
brossow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brossowSend a Private Message to brossowDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Wow! I didn't realize that site had those jacked up shipping charges. They have adopted the GMPP pricing method where they advertise low prices and make all the profit on the shipping. I'm glad you found what you needed.

Wasn't just that site -- every other place I found the PAC kit was the same way, including (of course) eBay, home of the inflated shipping cost. No big deal; I registered my displeasure by shopping elsewhere.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
PAC isnt cheap, they are selling near cost and making couple $ off the shipping.

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
86 SE
sbc / 5sp

PFF
System Bot
brossow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2008 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brossowSend a Private Message to brossowDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

PAC isnt cheap, they are selling near cost and making couple $ off the shipping.

At $13.50 I'd say it's more than just a couple bucks profit in the shipping.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock